D&D 5E Emirikol the Chaotic

Will Doyle

Explorer
Has Emirikol the Chaotic ever been officially tied to a campaign setting? (The wizard on the horse rampaging through that town in the 1E DMG)

I'm guessing Greyhawk, if anything? Apparently he featured in "A Paladin in Hell" but I've not read that adventure. Is it setting-neutral?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Bo official campaign setting ties for Emirikol as far as I am aware.

"A Paladin in Hell" wasn't set in any specific campaign setting. It was a very high level (suggested for PCs of level 15-20, which is closer to levels 25-30 in WotC-era D&D terms) module that expanded on an illustration found in the 1st Edition Player's Handbook. I never played it, but I have it and I've read through it multiple times.

The synopsis of the module on page 2 reads in part:

“In A Paladin in Hell, the PCs must travel to an obscure part of the Nine Hells to rescue the missing Temple of Neheod, which brims full with trapped innocents stolen away from their world.

First, however, they must find and speak with the legendary mage Emirikol the Chaotic. Emirikol gives them Demonving, a demon-wrought ship that can take them to Stygia. Although he speaks the truth, what he does not say is that the ship's demon crew wants freedom from its owners, who now happen to be the PCs.

PCs who expect the trip to Hell to be short and uneventful are, of course, mistaken. In order to even exit the ship, they must ply its inner recesses (which stretch much larger than one would first expect) and probably defeat many hostile demons within.”

[Edited to focus more on the OP's actual question and less on the module they mentioned in passing.]

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
“In A Paladin in Hell, the PCs must travel to an obscure part of the Nine Hells to rescue the missing Temple of Neheod, which brims full with trapped innocents stolen away from their world.

First, however, they must find and speak with the legendary mage Emirikol the Chaotic. Emirikol gives them Demonving, a demon-wrought ship that can take them to Stygia. Although he speaks the truth, what he does not say is that the ship's demon crew wants freedom from its owners, who now happen to be the PCs.

PCs who expect the trip to Hell to be short and uneventful are, of course, mistaken. In order to even exit the ship, they must ply its inner recesses (which stretch much larger than one would first expect) and probably defeat many hostile demons within.”
That actually sounds pretty good. When my characters get to that level, I may end up adapting that.

Will Doyle

Explorer
"A Paladin in Hell" wasn't set in any specific campaign setting. It was a very high level (suggested for PCs of level 15-20, which is closer to levels 25-30 in WotC-era D&D terms) module that expanded on an illustration found in the 1st Edition Player's Handbook. I never played it, but I have it and I've read through it multiple times.

Thanks for the info! :) That adventure does sound like a lot of fun too, I may try to pick it up.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Has Emirikol the Chaotic ever been officially tied to a campaign setting? (The wizard on the horse rampaging through that town in the 1E DMG)

I'm guessing Greyhawk, if anything?
Or Blackmoor, I suppose. His title suggests the time in D&D's history when alignment was just Law/Chaos, back then, there were only the two settings used by Gygax & Arneson.

:shrug:

It's funny how memorable that one illo was. There are several folks on here who use a variation on the name for their handles, for instance.

Remove ads