D&D 5E Descent Into The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth Is The First Of Several Single Session D&D Events

Wizards of the Coast, in The Year of the Dragon, will have several events to celebrate play, including short adventures meant for a single game session--starting with Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was a 1982 adventure by Gary Gygax for AD&D 1E, and was set in the Greyhawk campaign setting. It featured a wilderness journey and two-level dungeon, at...

Wizards of the Coast, in The Year of the Dragon, will have several events to celebrate play, including short adventures meant for a single game session--starting with Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 4.02.44 PM.png

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was a 1982 adventure by Gary Gygax for AD&D 1E, and was set in the Greyhawk campaign setting. It featured a wilderness journey and two-level dungeon, at the end of which the PCs would face the vampire Drelnza, who was the daughter of the archmage Iggwilv.

No news yet about any others or how many there will be.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, they emphasized this program is starting with a paired-down Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. And no doubt they have further classic tournament modules in line. Barrier Peaks, Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, Ghost Towrr of Inverness, etc, etc.

But if the format is a success, then obviously they will start doing New original short tournament scored modules along the same lines. And it strikes me...the Golden Vault sort of approach could be really fun for this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The title of this thread is a bit misleading, in that there wasn't really any concrete information about what the other "several" event-sessions are going to be.

It's quite possible that they are ALL chunks of the same adventure, split up in a new take on Adventurer's League style in-store or convention play.

It might not be just "the first" as the thread title suggests, but the Umbrella for the whole event.
They did say it was a paired down version of Tsojcanth that could be finished in one session.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
They did say it was a paired down version of Tsojcanth that could be finished in one session.
Did they? They also said that it was the first of "many" - did they mean that the others would be pared-down versions of other adventures or pared-down versions of other parts of this adventure? You can do it either way, can't you?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Did they? They also said that it was the first of "many" - did they mean that the others would be pared-down versions of other adventures or pared-down versions of other parts of this adventure? You can do it either way, can't you?
I mean, potentially: one of their major praises of S4 was as a smorgasbord of options to cut out and steal, and how it is a major inspiration for how modern WotC adventures are made as toolboxes to be pulled apart for pieces.

So, maybe? But they did suggest there would be other Dungeons. I think the "Descent into..." is going to be the unifying bit, not the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Heck, they might just call these "Descents"...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I mean, potentially: one of their major praises of S4 was as a smorgasbord of options to cut out and steal, and how it is a major inspiration for how modern WotC adventures are made as toolboxes to be pulled apart for pieces.

So, maybe? But they did suggest there would be other Dungeons. I think the "Descent into..." is going to be the unifying bit, not the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Heck, they might just call these "Descents"...
You're probably right. It'll be more like the 4e "Lair Assaults" which were pretty fun. A map, a goal, a time limit. Just with more story. Probably.

"Decent into the Demonweb Pits"
"Decent into Whiteplume Mountain"
Etc.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You're probably right. It'll be more like the 4e "Lair Assaults" which were pretty fun. A map, a goal, a time limit. Just with more story. Probably.
Actually, probavly not on the story front: based on what they were laying down about the five types of Adventures, and Tsojcanth as the archetype of the "Dungeoncrawl," I think these are meant to be very much "so yoy show up st the dingeon" one shots...but a little less Combat-y, and a little bit more crawl-y compared to 3E or 4E OP initiatives, probably. Scored for getting treasure and getting out.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Actually, probavly not on the story front: based on what they were laying down about the five types of Adventures, and Tsojcanth as the archetype of the "Dungeoncrawl," I think these are meant to be very much "so yoy show up st the dingeon" one shots...but a little less Combat-y, and a little bit more crawl-y compared to 3E or 4E OP initiatives, probably. Scored for getting treasure and getting out.
I only meant more story than the 4e Lair Assaults, which were "Make the most OP character you can and try to survive attacking this map full of monsters. Good Luck!"

But maybe it'll be like that. Though by the nature of 5e combats being faster than 4e combats, there could be quite a few more decision-points involved, so "more story" sort-of. Most of the Lair Assault interplay between players was about teamwork and tactics.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I only meant more story than the 4e Lair Assaults, which were "Make the most OP character you can and try to survive attacking this map full of monsters. Good Luck!"

But maybe it'll be like that. Though by the nature of 5e combats being faster than 4e combats, there could be quite a few more decision-points involved, so "more story" sort-of. Most of the Lair Assault interplay between players was about teamwork and tactics.
Since they seem to be using the 70's and 80's Tourneys as the touchstones here, probsvly a very focused "treasure here, baddies have it, you take treasure" pretty simple old school pulp sword and sorcery stories.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads