D&D 5E Descent Into The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth Is The First Of Several Single Session D&D Events

Wizards of the Coast, in The Year of the Dragon, will have several events to celebrate play, including short adventures meant for a single game session--starting with Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was a 1982 adventure by Gary Gygax for AD&D 1E, and was set in the Greyhawk campaign setting. It featured a wilderness journey and two-level dungeon, at...

Wizards of the Coast, in The Year of the Dragon, will have several events to celebrate play, including short adventures meant for a single game session--starting with Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 4.02.44 PM.png

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was a 1982 adventure by Gary Gygax for AD&D 1E, and was set in the Greyhawk campaign setting. It featured a wilderness journey and two-level dungeon, at the end of which the PCs would face the vampire Drelnza, who was the daughter of the archmage Iggwilv.

No news yet about any others or how many there will be.

darjr

I crit!
WotC pulls release dated images shared during PAX Unplugged.

Wizards of the coast has pulled all social media they are in charge of that shared images with release dates. Weather that means the release dates were wrong or just not supposed to be shared is unclear.

It was set in Greyhawk, and this should be an important detail. I suspect this time the villain could survive, or even becomen a new dark lord in Ravenloft, and the "dungeon" could allow an "opened door" for a sequel or like this.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
This could be a really interesting thing. But I have no idea how they could do it.

Tsojcanth is a personal favorite of mine. There is NO way even the most experienced players, with the most OPed characters, could get through the Lost Caverns and to Drelzna's chamber in a single session. Even taking out the whole "pre-caverns" wilderness portion as playable time, turning it into just narrative exposition, there are just too many/much encounters going on in the caverns.

It's soooo good though.

darjr

I crit!
This could be a really interesting thing. But I have no idea how they could do it.

Tsojcanth is a personal favorite of mine. There is NO way even the most experienced players, with the most OPed characters, could get through the Lost Caverns and to Drelzna's chamber in a single session. Even taking out the whole "pre-caverns" wilderness portion as playable time, turning it into just narrative exposition, there are just too many/much encounters going on in the caverns.

It's soooo good though.
I guess some folks did it just fine at WinterCon V in 1976. link

Or maybe not.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I guess some folks did it just fine at WinterCon V in 1976. link

Or maybe not.
I mean, sure, if "single session" is, like, a marathon 12-15-24 hours straight through. But who plays/can play sessions like that anymore? Sure, weekend sleepover marathons in high school or college were great. Some of the best times of my life... but I'm OLD now! The bathroom breaks alone...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, sure, if "single session" is, like, a marathon 12-15-24 hours straight through. But who plays/can play sessions like that anymore? Sure, weekend sleepover marathons in high school or college were great. Some of the best times of my life... but I'm OLD now! The bathroom breaks alone...
The 1976 version was only 8 pages long, and was a single sit-down tournament session.

Remove ads

Remove ads