D&D 5E Descent Into The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth Is The First Of Several Single Session D&D Events

Wizards of the Coast, in The Year of the Dragon, will have several events to celebrate play, including short adventures meant for a single game session--starting with Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was a 1982 adventure by Gary Gygax for AD&D 1E, and was set in the Greyhawk campaign setting. It featured a wilderness journey and two-level dungeon, at...

Wizards of the Coast, in The Year of the Dragon, will have several events to celebrate play, including short adventures meant for a single game session--starting with Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 4.02.44 PM.png

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was a 1982 adventure by Gary Gygax for AD&D 1E, and was set in the Greyhawk campaign setting. It featured a wilderness journey and two-level dungeon, at the end of which the PCs would face the vampire Drelnza, who was the daughter of the archmage Iggwilv.

No news yet about any others or how many there will be.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Just played Descent Into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth on StartPlaying as part of their collaboration with WotC on 50th Anniversary events. I did a "fun run" session rather than a regular tournament. I had my evening free and joined on a whim. I had fun but wish I could have played with the tournament rules just to see how the tournament games are run. I do think, however, that playing a tournament game would be more fun with a group of friends who have been playing together for a while. Playing with strangers makes it hard to play tactically and make decisions quickly. I could see many players in a tournament game getting frustrated with one another, especially if play styles and experience levels differ much.

Also, I played with a pregen. I ended up with a 9th level monk. Highest stat was Wisdom. Only magic item was a rope of climbing. Makes combat more challenging, I suppose, but didn't feel like a character a typical player would ever create.

The 4-5 hour adventure is a typical dungeon crawl, which I think works well for tournament play.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have ran or played in this using the tournament rules.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Just played Descent Into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth on StartPlaying as part of their collaboration with WotC on 50th Anniversary events. I did a "fun run" session rather than a regular tournament. I had my evening free and joined on a whim. I had fun but wish I could have played with the tournament rules just to see how the tournament games are run. I do think, however, that playing a tournament game would be more fun with a group of friends who have been playing together for a while. Playing with strangers makes it hard to play tactically and make decisions quickly. I could see many players in a tournament game getting frustrated with one another, especially if play styles and experience levels differ much.

Also, I played with a pregen. I ended up with a 9th level monk. Highest stat was Wisdom. Only magic item was a rope of climbing. Makes combat more challenging, I suppose, but didn't feel like a character a typical player would ever create.

The 4-5 hour adventure is a typical dungeon crawl, which I think works well for tournament play.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have ran or played in this using the tournament rules.

Without spoiling anything, I'll say that the tournament scoring included with Tsojcanth (while very fun) has very little to do with tactical decisions!

Remove ads

Remove ads