D&D 5E Driftglobe, what am I missing?

Penthau

Explorer
Just gave a driftglobe to the players and was reading the details to help explain what it does, but it seemed mostly useless, except for the once a day daylight spell. It reads to me that it follows you 60 feet behind, but a light spell only has a 20 foot radius of bright light and 20 more feet of dim light. So if you were in a totally dark environment, you would still be in darkness with no way to see where you were going. You would get a great view of where you had been though, as well as alerting anyone ahead of you that something was coming. I looked around for any errata, but didn't see any. It seems less than useful, if I am reading it correctly.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It's basically a torch that doesn't eat up your hand. No major whoop, just an alternate light source. The "following behind" thing just makes sure you don't need inventory space for it, and kind of helps in the weird scenario where the enemies attack the light source first. They're a little meh.

But I think it's awesome that some magic items can be a little meh. :)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Errata: it auto-kills Orcus.
winkgun.gif

Nellisir

Hero
It's not meant to follow the party around all the time. If you want to use it to light your way, carry it like a torch or put it on your staff or hat or something. Then you can let it drift during combat without it going out and without it taking up handspace.

NotActuallyTim

First Post
You can also grab it and chuck it at dark places. IT ALWAYS COMES BACK!*

*Driftglobes do not always come. Check with your local retailer for details on replacement Driftglobes. Salers and manufacturers cannot be held liable for misuse of Driftglobes.

Yardiff

Adventurer
The drifting at 60' from the user makes it pretty useless for lighting the way since its only as good as torch, good light 20' radius with another 20' radius dim light.

Nellisir

Hero
The drifting at 60' from the user makes it pretty useless for lighting the way since its only as good as torch, good light 20' radius with another 20' radius dim light.
If you want to use it as a torch, just carry it. It's not meant to go darting around on command. It's a torch that you don't need to worry about dropping during combat, doesn't burn out, and will come back to you if you get carried away somehow.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I'm going to echo what others have said: the driftglobe is an everburning torch that, should you feel like it, can be made to float in the air and even follow you. Plus it has a 1/day daylight spell.

It is entirely better than the old everburning torch, and the everburning torch was already one of things which I never experienced a party having an opportunity to have and saying "No."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You can also grab it and chuck it at dark places. IT ALWAYS COMES BACK!*

*Driftglobes do not always come. Check with your local retailer for details on replacement Driftglobes. Salers and manufacturers cannot be held liable for misuse of Driftglobes.

Do not taunt Happy Drift Globe.

Remove ads