D&D 5E Hydellor OOC

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Rogues Gallery and Setting Information

Heroes of Hydellor IC Thread

I think I am ready to try my hand at DMing a PBP game, so I thought I would throw this out there and see who bites. So the pertinent information:

Pace: It won’t be too strenuous. I tend to post IC at work, and usually around once per day on weekdays, very seldom on weekends. OOC aspects can be handled via my phone at any time, however.

Setting: The world is designed as an open setting. I have planned and ready an opening on the southern frontier of Essess, but if players prefer, we can set it elsewhere on Hydellor.

Western Hydellor.png

THE WORLD OF HYDELLOR

The Empire of Arideen was a blessed land. Ruled by the god-kings of Arideen, avatars of Paladine, they knew peace and prosperity.

And then god was murdered.

Drought and famine followed, and previously unseen social pressures fractured the empire into civil war for nearly thirty years. Prophets preaching new gods appeared. The Mists that defined the edge of the known world receded, revealing an entirely unknown continent across the sea. Was this the end of the world?

Exhausted by war, three new nations emerged from the wreck of the empire. Each suspicious of the other, they have maintained a watchful wariness for nearly 30 years. In central Hydellor, the disparate city-states of the Nyos savannah protect the Dragon Road from nomadic barbarian raiders. To the north, the sultanates of the Elemental Wastes threaten the sea routes to the east where the Great Khans of the Dragon Empires jealously guard their hoards and territories.

In the last decade there have been bumper crops. Clerics and paladins of the Church have felt a trickle of power return and seers have seen visions. Has Paladine returned? Where could he be? Inquisitors have been sent out to scour the lands of the Empire for him.

The world is ripe for heroes to carve out their place in the world.

CHARACTER CREATION:

Allowed Sources: Any published: PHB, DMG, EE, SCAG, Volo’s. No UA.

Stats: 4d6 drop the lowest, place in any order. Should you not wish to keep the stats, you may then use the default array 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Races: You may play any of these races, with the understanding that you may have to deal with attention if you’re one of the more uncommon ones.
Common in Arideen:
Dwarves
Elves
Gnomes
Lightfoot Halflings
Half-Elf
Humans: These descriptions aren’t ironclad, just what is typical of the ethnicity.
Arideens - generally fair skinned and blonde to light brown hair. Brown or blue eyes
Essians - generally medium skin tone, the range of brown hair, some blonde; eyes brown, blue, or hazel.
Helvekis - usually olive or swarthy skin tone, dark hair and eyes.
Old Ones - Fair skin, red or blonde hair, blue or green eyes
Less Common
Aasimar
Dragonborn
Duergar
Tiefling
Humans
Chadans (less common) - bronze complexion, dark hair and eyes. Chadans from Nyos tend to be darker skinned. Chadans from the Elemental Wastes often have off-color eyes (blue, yellow, red, green, purple) and can have natural streaks of color in otherwise dark hair (blue, purple, red, yellow, green, etc).
Zhytians (less common) - medium to fair skin, dark, almond-shaped eyes and high cheekbones. Unusually may have eyes and streaks in their hair in the chromatic or metallic color of the dragon under which they live.
Uncommon
Drow
Half-Orc
Stout Halfling
Aarakocra
Genasi
Goliath
Volo’s races

Classes: Any from a legal source.

Feats and multiclassing allowed.

Backstory: To start, just give me a race, class, and background. You can work up a character sheet with the mechanics, but I’ll want to give you some background information on where they might fit in the world so you can write your backstory. When you write your backstory, please include three NPCs:

1. Friend (or family) - this is someone you like, you would do nearly anything for, put yourself in danger for. They probably like you, too. Or not.
  2. Foe (or rival) - this is someone you really dislike. They would love to see you fail. Maybe even dead. The feeling might be mutual
  3. Contact - this is someone you might like or not, and they might like you. You might mostly know them professionally. As long as you have mutual interests, they’re willing to help you out. But they’re not willing to put themselves in danger for you, at least not without some significant incentive.
Also, roll (or choose) on the trinket table and give me a story on how or why you have that item.

Last edited:

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Interest piqued. Thinking about Coriana the Forsaken, a Human (Variant) Sailor Warlock who on a sinking ship made a desperate deal with the Lord of the Deep (Fiend) and now avoids the water as she strains under her pact and tries to make her way in the world.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Interest piqued. Thinking about Coriana the Forsaken, a Human (Variant) Sailor Warlock who on a sinking ship made a desperate deal with the Lord of the Deep (Fiend) and now avoids the water as she strains under her pact and tries to make her way in the world.

Looks good. Best place to meet the Lord of the Deep would be out in/past the Mists.

Any thoughts on where you would like Coriana to be from?

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
She's probably Helveki, thought there isn't too much to choose from. She's from a busy seaport, left her family young, been travelling and sailing since.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Helveki works. It's the major sea power with the largest navy. Essess has Ingha Bay, and Arideen is basically landlocked, with a laughable navy at Freeport, which is essentially a pirate port. Gilead has a pretty good navy, as well. There are ports elsewhere off the map that I haven't detailed.

Helveki is actually very warlock friendly. The Warlock Queen rules there. I would have to check the numbers, but she has to be pushing 90 and is the most powerful warlock on the continent. She's also the slayer of Paladine. Her family is in a pact with Asmodeus, who would likely be the boss of your Lord of the Deep

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I'm interested! What's the starting level? I imagine 27 point buy?

I'm thinking of a cleric (knowledge)/wizard with the sage background. From a noble background, but that wasn't in line for any power, so he buried himself in his academic studies. He sensed a change in his connection to the divine, and is driven to understand what is happening. I'm thinking of a human or thiefling (born from a human family - and the thiefling heritage further discredited him from any nobility aspirations).
Friend (or family) - Grandmother, current matriarch of their noble house. He's very fond of her, and worries about assassinations plots against her in his spare time
Foe (or rival) - Uncle and Cousin. He is the one that will inherit the family's noble title, ans sees my character as a threat.
Contact - other academic at the royal library.

He can come from any major city with a library.
ok?
Cheers,

SG

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Sorry, I should have mentioned we will be rolling stats. You are allowed 1 set of rolls. If you don't like them, you default to the Standard Array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. If you do not want to roll at all, yoi may poit buy wit the normal 27 points.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases