Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
And now you've got double-locked invocations (Curse Bringer requires Hexblade and Blade pact) ... and other double-locked invocations that you will almost never see (how many fiend/blade and GOO/blade will we be seeing the future).
Can't say as I agree with that. Having double-locked invocations with unique features encourages playing non-obvious combinations, so you can get those unique features.

i'm not a fan of extending ranges to one mile.
so now al battles where players have control of where battles take place the wizrds gets good number of rounds before even the range enemies can attack without ranged penalty

pdegan2814

First Post
Loremaster is broken. Level 2 ability to consistently target an enemy with their most disadvantageous saving throw using your most powerful spell and avoid resistances by switching damage types is just OP.

Switching the Saving Throw is only once per Rest, so you'll be doing it once every 1/2 battles, most likely. The damage type switching doesn't work on cantrips, so you're limited there too. The damage switching may end up being OP, but that's why they want us to playtest it.

flametitan

Explorer
As somebody who really likes the Pact of the Undying's flavour, I'm fairly jealous that there's all these cool invocations that I'm barred from and will likely never have any unique invocations of my own, unless they decide to reprint it in a future book.

That's one of the main problems with tying invocations to pacts. Anybody who takes a pact not in the core rules or the supplement that features the invocations is left out. For good reason, mind you. I fully support the idea that expansion books should be self contained. It's just frustrating when your choice in supplement doesn't get to benefit from later expansions.

Fritzo

First Post
The power creep is strong with this UA and with multi classing :):):):) will be ridiculous. But i don't hate whats here, the designers just need to restructure things so it's not so easy to dip for so many fantastic features.

Couple changes i'd make take away the Charisma for damage and attack rolls from Hex Warrior. The second effect of Spell Secrets to change the type of saving throw should be delayed further in the class (sounds like a good 14th level ability to me). Haven't looked at the Invocations yet but i hope they don't give too much power too early.

QuietBrowser

First Post
I do care about the Warlock, and here's the thing-

Adding one or two new pact boons would have greatly increased the options available to the class. It's a great mix-and-match class; and part of the versatility should be that you get to differentiate both your PATRON and your PACT BOON.

No, here's the thing: like I keep asking everybody who makes this same complaint, just what is WoTC suppose to add in terms of new Pact Boons?

It's easy to say "warlocks need new pact boons", but the biting problem to that demand is figuring out just what sorts of new boons you could have that wouldn't step on the toes of the existing ones. As I said back on the first page, we've got the Familiar, we've got the Book of Eldritch Lore, we've got the Magical Weapon - just what kind of presents are actually left? What can you honestly say that a Patron could give out as a sign of their contract that'd be any different to what we've already got?

I mean, I can think up new Patrons easily. Angel/Celestial, Dark Mother (a corrupt/evil fertility goddess, ala Shub-Niggurath or Lamashtu), Darkness, Doomspeaker (apocalyptic herald/elder evil), Dragon, Genie, Great Beast (scary/dark animal spirit, ala Jhebbal-Sag or Baphomet), Primordial/Archomental, Sorcerer-King, and that's just off the top of my head.

But new Pact Boons? I have absolutely no idea.

That's my problem. If you could present compelling ideas for new Pact Boons, I'd take this complaint more seriously.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The hexblade doesn't seem enough to invalidate other patron bladelocks, or necessitate choosing blade pact even if you have a blade patron. Interestingly, the RW seems to be a familiar patron theme, as much as Hexblade is for blade pact: it's kind if an interesting remix of the design space. A book pact hexblade might be very interesting, actually...

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases