D&D 5E [IC] THE CURSE OF AMBERSTAR

Archon Basileus

First Post
ICOSA

Raising weapon and shield, the machineman studies the area. He senses something moving towards the left, dragging itself against a wall.

LYLLIE

As Lyllie warns the others, the shy creature moves on, oblivious to everyone's presence. A lost soul, not even capable of envying the living...

THULWAR

As the gnome draws the rune, it rises in a faint luminescence, right before casting its effects upon the piece. The thing moves towards Thulwar, revealing itself to be a shard of a curved blade - probably made to be thrown against enemies. The thing holds on blood. Probably bashed against the floor, missing its target, and broke. Somewhere in the darkness, the shaft's probably lost.

HARFIK

Harfik's pseudo-memories of the cave are precise. It is as if he had visited the area already, long ago. Once, this was, as expected, a mining gallery. Exhausted, it was abandoned in favor of deeper chambers and new veins. But as the Teraphim moved down, abandoning the entire sector, something else came to these caves. At first they were a handful of mongrels, blinded by old experiments and strange evolutionary patterns. As the years went by, they became more numerous. These carvings are no doubt theirs. They profit from the areas of darkness - more and more common as time goes by - to hunt and kill. Often, though, they are forced to face the inhabitants from the stores below - the dead of Amberilan. Certainly, these strange voices are their heralds. Odds are they fought here at some point - who won is anyone's guess.

EVERYONE

The voices fall silent all of a sudden. The flames still float around, dancing within the darkness, as if trying to attract attention to themselves.

And soon the heroes understand why. Aanzu is the first to notice. Something moves around, trying to flank the group! Next, Icosa's instincts lock his senses towards the movement to his left: an ambush! Lyllie, Harfik and Thulwar are not surprised. As strange, light steps insinuate themselves, they sense the inevitable attack!

Suddenly, daggers are thrown from the front and the sides, spinning from the darkness! Icosa blocks one of them with his shield, and Thulwar ducks away from the other! Aanzu glances as the third one bashes against the stone floor, right before his feet. At the same time, Lyllie twists her body, letting yet another pass by. Harfik is able to parry one of the things mid-air with a quick stab of his spear.

The enemies revealed their positions. From the shadows, their eyes shine green, just as the flames seen by the heroes moments ago....

MAP UPDATED

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P-H9BO8-IYX6lSE2e9bttaM0U2XZlSQpYQgkZeWX3JQ/edit

MINI-SHEETS!

MYSTERIOUS ENEMIES

[sblock]ATTACK: +5/+4
DAMAGE: Thrown dagger (1d4+3 piercing); Longsword (1d8+2/1d10+2 slashing)
AC: 14
HP: 52
MOVEMENT: 50'/turn
SAVE THROWS: +3 WIS/DEX
SPECIAL: immune to poison/necrotic damage; sneak attack; swarm explosion (5' around the warrior, disadvantage; CON save throw DC 13, 1d6+2 damage in case of failure; triggered by choice and/or on death.)[/sblock]
@Neurotic @Shayuri @industrygothica @JustinCase @Greenmtn

Last edited:

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

"The Mongrels and dead Amberlain fought here this was a.."

Harfik's words are interrupted by the attack he adjusts the angle of the spear deflecting the dagger. Before launching the spear at the creature which tries to move out of the way. The spear catches the creature slicing through it's arm leaving a gash there and skidding off into the darkness.

"You have chosen your prey poorly" Harfik says as he simply steps off the ledge landing lightly on his feet before rushing to the creature, ducking under it's swinging arm as he slices into it's abdomen and the Teraphim sword crackles to life.
Harfik flows with the momentum of his slice to spin around and try to smash the creature in the face with his elbow, but he is out of position and unable to connect with any force.

OOC:
Spear Attack
Spear attack: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16
1D6+3 = [4]+3 = 7

Reaction: Slow fall
Move to J7
Sword Attack
Attack with Teraphim sword: 1D20+11 = [12]+11 = 23
1D6+8 = [3]+8 = 11
1D100 = [7] = 7

Bonus action: Unarmed attack MISSED
Attack with elbow: 1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12
1D6+3 = [3]+3 = 6

Does Harfik recognize this thing as a Mongrel or a Dead Amberlain?

NOTES: I'm assuming that I can use the 2 Teraphim weapons as monk weapons, if not let me know and I will make the needed changes.
I didn't know if the swords ability to divide the damage was optional or mandatory or for that matter if I had to see the other enemy. So I rolled a D100 and you can tell me if it arks to another enemy or not.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Almost as if Aanzu is not completely himself, the dragonborn is not quick to attack. Like a predator lying in ambush, a dragon allowing the tiny thieves the illusion of safety, Aanzu lets the mysterious creatures in the room get closer.

And closer. And closer.

Then the daggers are thrown, and the enemies reveal their positions - and their poor skills at throwing daggers, the prince notes mentally.

Opting to attack the front line, Aanzu opens his eyes and his big draconic jaws, spitting forth a bright line of cackling lightning, shocking everyone and everything in its path! Grabbing his trusted greatsword, Aanzu prepares himself for a counterattack.

As Aanzu engages in the new fight, he feels powerful, ancient eyes gazing upon him. It is as if the Thunder Dragon himself stares at the very soul of the prince. A distant thought courses through his mind: Aanzu didn't reject his sword, his own family legacy. The Thunder Dragon is satisfied. In his quest for honor, the prince keeps the memory of his lineage.

OOC: Breath weapon towards the front (can't see the map yet, but as described as "front" by the DM); a 5 by 30 feet line of lightning, dealing [roll0] lightning damage to those who fail a DC14 Dex save; half damage to those who succeed. No move.

And I copy-pasted the part that the DM sent me about Aanzu's honor, because it feels right. :)

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

OOC: Here is the map for those waiting for access to it. My post operates under the assumption that the Token on J8 is the one that threw the daggers. If not I'll move to the nearest one (I2?) and the only thing that changes is the square I end up on.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 2,431

industrygothica

Adventurer
Lyllie eeks as the daggers fly by, and she responds by lighting up the attackers' location.

OOC: Faerie Fire H5:K8. Trying to avoid hitting Tink. This is a druid spell, so the dex save is DC 13

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Thulwar studies the creature for a moment before deftly mixing a powder with prepared mixture. It starts hissing and as he throws it at the creature it bursts spraying acid all over it. It tried to avoid the burst, but instead just ran right into the hooks of the hulking machine. As one hook pulled it closer and cut it, the other swiped across its legs pulling it down on the ground.

In seconds, the creature was in dire condition, pinned to ground by huge machine, burning and bleeding.

[sblock=Actions]
Short version: creature took 35 damage and is prone
Thulwar
Acid damage: 3D6 = [6, 3, 4] = 13 Dex DC 17 to avoid Save vs acid: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6
FAIL
I rolled an attack with this instead of just damage and got a crit :( too bad I am stupid :)

Tink
Tink claw attack vs creature; damage: 1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17;2D6+5 = [6, 2]+5 = 13
Bite vs creature; damage: 1D20+6 = [18]+6 = 24;1D10+5 = [4]+5 = 9 needs save vs prone Str save vs prone: 1D20 = [1] = 1 FAIL

[/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
[Guys, I've updated the map and I wrote the names at the side of the icons. I need @industrygothica to confirm the area for her spell, since the given range only targets allies. ]

HARFIK

The lance crosses the creature, tearing it open as it comes across! A strange, inhuman, guttural scream comes from it. As the monk approaches, his eyes accommodate to the darkness, allowing him to see the source of the attacks.

A strange creature glances at the torn armor and the bruise created by the lance as it draws a longsword, preparing for a confrontation. Its eyes are empty; en lieu of its face, only bones remain. Behind the empty eyes sockets, the bony nostrils and the agitated teeth, an ethereal, green flame burns, permeating the creature's entire body. An old set of armor is crossed by small, thin lines, through which a strange green flux of energy flows. The entity moans as small scarabs run around the bones and the armor, finding them to be a natural shelter.

In a moment's notice, the monk charges twice more! The sword cuts deep, allowing the ethereal flames to rise from the bruises as it discharges a small electric current! It courses through the creature's body, disturbing a few scarabs that decide to come outside, profiting from the cut. The elbow only shakes the skull a bit, doing no harm whatsoever!

In response, the creature attacks! The sword comes upwards in an arching attack, which Harfik can easily dodge by stepping back!

[So, thanks for rolling the percentage for the weapon discharge! You can choose whether to use it or not at any given time, and the enemies respond with a DC roll. No need for a second percentage roll in the future. :) Also, Harfik recognizes the enemies as dead Amberilans, imprisoned in their bodies by a strange form of energy...]

AANZU

The dragon's breath explodes forward as the creatures advance. It targets the entity's chest, scorching the black leather armor and turning the older parts to dust almost immediately! The creature feels the current, shaking as it is targeted, and the scarabs within emit a stream of noises, as if the shock had caused them successive strokes! Afterwards, flames and scarabs burst from the bruises as the creature obsessively advances!

THULWAR

The acid does quick work of the armor, corroding bone and allowing Thulwar to notice how the flames dance around them. They are almost as and ethereal body that permeates the remnants. Green energies begin to escape the creature as Tink brings it down, lifting it and smashing it against the floor with a powerful bite. The bruised creature opens a wrathful mouth. It is quite hurt by now, but it still has some fight within itself, it seems! Kneeling before the atrocious mechanic beast, the creature emits a strange, high-pitched sound, like the rattling of many snakes! Soon, the scarabs within the entity grow restless, and merge towards the surface of the armor, leaving the bones behind as they emit a terrible sound of clattering shells and jaws! The mass bursts out of the creature, damaging it even more, and leaping forward against Tink! The scarabs fall over the machine, penetrating it through joints and fissures in between plaques...

[Tink received 4 points of damage from the scarabs]

MAP UPDATED

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P-H9BO8-IYX6lSE2e9bttaM0U2XZlSQpYQgkZeWX3JQ/edit

MINI-SHEETS!

BURNING ASSASSINS

[sblock]The silent frontline of the Lost City of Amberilan.

ATTACK: +5/+4
DAMAGE: Thrown dagger (1d4+3 piercing); Longsword (1d8+2/1d10+2 slashing)
AC: 14
HP: 52
MOVEMENT: 50'/turn
SAVE THROWS: +3 WIS/DEX
SPECIAL: immune to poison/necrotic damage; sneak attack; swarm explosion (5' around the warrior, disadvantage; CON save throw DC 13, 1d6+2 damage in case of failure; triggered by choice and/or on death.) [/sblock]

ENEMY STATE

[sblock]
Burning Assassin 1 - 28/52
Burning Assassin 2 - 14/52 *prone/used scarabs
Burning Assassin 3 - 45/52
Burning Assassin 4 - 31/52
Burning Assassin 5 - 52/52
[/sblock]

@Neurotic @JustinCase @Shayuri @Greenmtn @industrygothica

Last edited:

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

After stepping back to avoid the sword attack Harfik presses his foe again not wanting to waste time with it, all to aware of the potential dangers in the darkness that surrounds them. He leans back in cutting up diagonally across the body creating another gash for the scarabs to crawl out of. Then continues the motion, moving his wrist in a tight circle, keeping the momentum of the blade going as he comes back across it's chest area cutting it again.

The creature stumbles back a step from the momentum of the swing as Harfik again pivots with the momentum of his sword. This time launching himself into the air, his leg coming out like a whip with a sickening crack of bones breaking as it connects solidly with the side creatures head.

Scarabs erupt form the Amberlain as it's body falls to the ground, landing on Harfik and painfully burning into his skin like hot embers.

Harfik clutches his chest where one of them landed, backing away, searching the darkness for more threats until he is close enough to Icosa that he is confident that they can defend each other.
"Aahh, Friends. The bugs within them burn! Be careful!"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Thulwar throws another vial of acid and dissolves most of the armor from the prone form of the ghostly creature. It still has some fight in it and swings at Tink as the great machine retreats few steps before pouncing on the other one and bringing him down too. Claw swipes the creature down and metal beak tears into it as it goes down, bloodying it. Or at least making it leak green light ;)

[sblock=Actions]
Summary: M7 takes 11 acid damage and misses with OA vs Tink
M9 takes 18 damage from Tink and is prone

Thulwar
Move: to L8
Action:

Force Wave M7, M8, M9: 2D8 = [1, 1] = 2 - spending 2nd level spell
- impossible since Tink is LARGE and takes K7-L8 squares

Change: Acid damage: 3D6 = [3, 2, 6] = 11
DEX save M7 DC 15: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9[/roll] FAIL - but not yet dead
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=211654]M7 disadvantage OA vs Tink;damage: 2D20.LOW(1)+4 = [6, 15]+4 = 10
1D8+2 = [8]+2 = 10

Tink moves away to pounce at M9 and repeats the procedure he did on the first one, ends up K9-L10
Claw vs M9; damage: 1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25;2D6+5 = [5, 1]+5 = 11
STR save vs prone DC 14: 1D20 = [13] = 13 FAIL, prone and bitten
Bite vs M9; damage: 1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25;1D10+5 = [2]+5 = 7

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases