D&D 5E D&D Promises to Make the Game More Queer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irda Ranger

First Post
No. It means, let's be inclusive without actively trying to promote an agenda.

Including gays characters = good.
Including gay characters in order to promote a certain ideology = bad.
This makes no sense. You're saying that the results are meaningless, it's only the motives that matter?

So if Crawford never gave the interview, you'd be fine? Or if he said that 5% of the NPCs are gay because 5% of the population in the Forgotten Realms is gay, so it's just an accurate simulation, you'd be fine?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Didn't mean to offend with my choice of the world "lifestyle". I didn't have a much better word there. I think it can be described as a lifestyle though, but there probably is a better word. Any suggestions?

A lifestyle is a choice. Nobody chooses their sexuality, their skin colour, etc. To quote a popular singer, people are “born this way”.

Teemu

Hero
But the flip side is that there's a relatively large segment of the population that doesn't understand why they do it and that probably plays a large part in them finding it offensive. Then there's also this "normalize it" push. Even if a person accepts that the reason you tell the world that you are gay is because you are not ashamed of being gay and that it's for personal reasons the gay person does that it still doesn't mean they are going to be comfortable with the idea of the gay lifestyle being normalized.

Call them bad people and bigots and so on. That doesn't change their comfortablity level. Instead it makes it feel like a hostile takeover is being mounted where a gay persons comfortableness is more important than their own.

But what's at stake here? A: some people's level of comfort. B: some people's ability to lead full lives. Which one is more important? You're asking for folks to be mindful of the "other side's" comfort, but who's got the most to lose by acquiescing? The people who are uncomfortable with seeing open displays of homosexuality and homoromanticism, or the sexual minorities themselves?

S

Sunseeker

Wow, ignoring Frogwhatever trimmed almost 7 pages off this thread.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Honestly I just don't get gay pride parades. Are they for promoting an end to sexual orientation stigma, or they just "We're gay and proud"?

Because the former is a cause I support, but the latter is an example of "Good for you, stop waving it in my face."

I understand "coming out" to family and friends, but total strangers?

Of course if it's the former then... well I can't think of any other examples of that behaviour.

Actually I don't get them either way. Either way it's an in your face display. Even if it's for an end to sexual orientation stigma it's still done as an in your face display.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Honestly I just don't get gay pride parades. Are they for promoting an end to sexual orientation stigma, or they just "We're gay and proud"?

Because the former is a cause I support, but the latter is an example of "Good for you, stop waving it in my face."

I understand "coming out" to family and friends, but total strangers?

Of course if it's the former then... well I can't think of any other examples of that behaviour.

Are they waving it in your face? Generally parades are announced well ahead of time and easily avoided. They aren't coming to your home or your work are they?

I don't watch the gay pride parades. Not my thing. But I generally would have to go out of my way to find one. (Unless you are unlucky enough to live or work along the parade route - but that's true of any parade, not gay pride.)

As for other examples similar to "we're gay and proud" parades - there are parades to celebrate different ethnicities, parades to celebrate racial pride, etc. People object to them as well, but they exist. :)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This makes no sense. You're saying that the results are meaningless, it's only the motives that matter?

So if Crawford never gave the interview, you'd be fine? Or if he said that 5% of the NPCs are gay because 5% of the population in the Forgotten Realms is gay, so it's just an accurate simulation, you'd be fine?

I don't think he will respond but I think that's basically his position yes.

The public displays of affection is a thing. There is a different reaction to hetero people and homo people doing it. Just curious. Are gay people bothered by hetero public displays of affection? I mean besides the full all out get a hotel room type stuff that other heterosexual people typically don't even tolerate?

Because there is a difference if homo people are not bothered by hetero displays of affection but hetero people are bothered by homo displays of affection but hetero people are bothered by homo displays of affection then that double standard isn't really a double standard anymore. Oh sure if you try to frame it as hetero vs homo you may can make that point but it's not. It's about each groups comfort level with the other and that's where the differences lie.

Yes, the difference there is that the heteros are bigots, while the gay people are not.

Or, to be slightly less pointed about it, the difference is that the cultural products we have all been inundated with our entire lives normalize heterosexuality while largely ignoring (if not fully denigrating) homosexuality, thus increasing people's comfort level for open heterosexual affection and decreasing that for open gay affection.

This is exactly why it is so important that cultural products like D&D show the variety of sexual and romantic relationships in the world, to raise comfort levels and eliminate the stigma that the presently under-represented people have to bear.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Yes, the difference there is that the heteros are bigots, while the gay people are not.

Or, to be slightly less pointed about it, the difference is that the cultural products we have all been inundated with our entire lives normalize heterosexuality while largely ignoring (if not fully denigrating) homosexuality, thus increasing people's comfort level for open heterosexual affection and decreasing that for open gay affection.

This is exactly why it is so important that cultural products like D&D show the variety of sexual and romantic relationships in the world, to raise comfort levels and eliminate the stigma that the presently under-represented people have to bear.
Except it's not. Because games like DnD don't focus on the sex. They focus on the slaying and the adventurering. At which point orientation is going to be nothing more than a footnote.

Also good job being just as bigoted, brushing all of one orientation with the same colour (I'm pretty sure I just butchered that saying).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads