D&D 5E Need help in picking a character to fit this party

akr71

Hero
I'm going to echo the 'play what will be fun' idea. Develop a character that will fit in with this group, not a class that isn't present yet. Having multiple of the same class is not a drawback if the skill sets are complimentary, rather than overlapping.

However, if it were me, I would be leaning toward cleric (tempest or war) or paladin. I don't often play casters, but if I enjoyed playing casters I would lean toward wizard or bard. A monk would be pretty fun too.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Would a hexblade pact of the blade warlock step on the toes of the celestial pact of the tome warlock?

I feel like this might be a great example of two of the same class being played very differently.

Satyrn

First Post
Would a hexblade pact of the blade warlock step on the toes of the celestial pact of the tome warlock?

I feel like this might be a great example of two of the same class being played very differently.

I recently had to make a new character. I randomly selected druid, but because someone else was already playing a Circle of Land Druid I picked a different class (again randomly) so I wouldn't step on his toes. But when I told that player this, he said "Well, if you play a moon druid, that'd be fine." So there's now 2 druids in the group.

Ask the warlock's player what he thinks, is what I'm suggesting. He's the only one who can give the only answer that matters.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I recently had to make a new character. I randomly selected druid, but because someone else was already playing a Circle of Land Druid I picked a different class (again randomly) so I wouldn't step on his toes. But when I told that player this, he said "Well, if you play a moon druid, that'd be fine." So there's now 2 druids in the group.

Ask the warlock's player what he thinks, is what I'm suggesting. He's the only one who can give the only answer that matters.

Thanks. He’s on board with it, saying his celestial warlock is much more of a spellcaster and healer. Mine will be closer to a fighter.

Dan Chernozub

First Post
dwarven Tempest cleric

You get healing, decent damaging spells, buffing, etc etc.

And by being a plate-wearing dwarf, you can dump both your Str and Dex without issue (so long as you hire a porter to carry everything for you!), to boost your Int or Cha to whatever the party needs.

'Xcept you ain't gonna wear no plate with dump strength, lad.

Satyrn

First Post
'Xcept you ain't gonna wear no plate with dump strength, lad.
You mean this?
Heavy Armor. Heavier armor interferes with the wearer’s ability to move quickly, stealthily, and freely. If the Armor table shows “Str 13” or “Str 15” in the Strength column for an armor type, the armor reduces the wearer’s speed by 10 feet unless the wearer has a Strength score equal to or higher than the listed score.

Dwarf Traits . . . Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.

I know (or assume) this was well-intentioned, but I still feel compelled to say that I hate it when people say this. It's so...pedantic and patronizing. Maybe the class the person asking the question wants to play is the class that would best complement the existing party.

Sheesh. Mr. Grumpypants doesn't like people reminding us that this is a game to enjoy. :)

Let me see if I can reword to avoid being perceived as preaching from my "fun" high-horse...

If your idea of "having fun" is "picking a class that would best complement the existing party", then you should go for it. I know I've done that before.

If the "class that would best complement the existing party" is one that you don't enjoy playing, then don't pick it.

Well, when people come asking for optimization, I suspect they don't want an answer "go play whatever you like". I mean in an entertainment hobby ain't this the default option?

I've known players to be blinded by mechanical optimization and min/maxing. They risk forgetting the part about having fun - not only for themselves, but for the others at the table. I think it's a useful reminder to put out there for noobs and grognards alike.

G

Guest 6801328

Sheesh. Mr. Grumpypants doesn't like people reminding us that this is a game to enjoy. :)

Let me see if I can reword to avoid being perceived as preaching from my "fun" high-horse...

If your idea of "having fun" is "picking a class that would best complement the existing party", then you should go for it. I know I've done that before.

If the "class that would best complement the existing party" is one that you don't enjoy playing, then don't pick it.

Or maybe some of us enjoy playing ALL classes....?

EDIT: Except Warlords, of course. But that goes without saying.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases