Your single favourite RPG book?

Mercule

Adventurer
I have a hard time deciding if Eberron or Golarion is the best published D&D setting of all time. It's sadly not actually a crowded field despite the number of published settings. I'd tend to lean toward Eberron though even if it isn't completely my cup of tea. I have a great fondness for settings that are coherent both with respect to the rules and the normal process of play. Eberron is coherent in that way and original in a way that nothing else has touched besides homebrews. There are probably 20 people on EnWorld with better settings than Forgotten Realms, but I don't think anyone can objectively claim to be better than Eberron - just different.
I was thoroughly burned out on 3.5 and d20 by the time Pathfinder was released, so I know very little of Golarion. I've heard only positive, though, and what little I know does sound cool -- maybe not my cup, but cool.

I agree about Eberron. It's just well done. If you follow what Keith says about Eberron, it becomes even cooler as you find out some of the thoughts behind things -- and learn what WotC added that he may not fully agree with. I can totally understand where someone wouldn't find the setting to their liking, but it's extremely rich in a generally non-cheesy way that no other D&D setting is.

Probably the saddest thing about Eberron -- aside from the criminal lack of 5E support -- is that it's almost too evocative for D&D. I remember pretty early on reading either Savage Worlds or the ECS (whichever I discovered later) and thinking that the SW system would probably suit Eberron's themes better than D&D. Since then, I've added Fate and (probably) Genesys to that list.

I was thoroughly burned out on 3.5 and d20 by the time Pathfinder was released, so I know very little of Golarion. I've heard only positive, though, and what little I know does sound cool -- maybe not my cup, but cool.
Golarion is exactly the Forgotten Realms in every way that matters. It's the ultimate fantasy kitchen sink, comprised mainly of fantasy counterparts to real world cultures.

I guess it's fine, if you're into that sort of thing.

Mercule

Adventurer
Golarion is exactly the Forgotten Realms in every way that matters. It's the ultimate fantasy kitchen sink, comprised mainly of fantasy counterparts to real world cultures.

I guess it's fine, if you're into that sort of thing.
That makes me sad. The Realms is pretty much exactly what I don't want in a D&D game. I kinda wish that Eberron didn't actually have a place for everything in D&D. At least exclude one thing.

Then again, Eberron excludes the Great Wheel, which is definitely a positive.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
1e DMG, hands down. It's not even close. :)

After that it'd be the 1e PH, the original Forgotten Realms boxed set, 1e MM-MM2-FF, and so on down the line.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Faces of Sigil is a sourcebook from Planescape in the 2E days that I still use to this day. Just a great book with tons of story ideas and compelling characters, with existing connections to one another, and opposing goals.

Jhaelen

First Post
1e DMG, hands down. It's not even close. :)

After that it'd be the 1e PH, the original Forgotten Realms boxed set, 1e MM-MM2-FF, and so on down the line.
Hmm. The 1e Fiend Folio is one of my favorite books, too.
I also feel a special nostalgia about the 1e Deities & Demigods...

Hmm. The 1e Fiend Folio is one of my favorite books, too.
I also feel a special nostalgia about the 1e Deities & Demigods...

Deities& Demigods! That should be another 1b on my list...
How could I forget. The original printing introduced me to all of the following:
Moorecock
Lovecraft
and
Fahlfered and Grey-Mouser(sp ?)...

Remove ads