Will D&D make strength matter again?

Lost Soul

First Post
Are you tired of Dexterity being the 'God' stat of D&D? DO you pine for the 3E and older versions were high strength was essential to melee combat success? Are you tired of the rapier replacing the longsword and battle axe as the go to weapon for most adventurers? I am and I am looking for suggestions to validate strength as combat option outside of the tired great weapon master arc. Here is a suggestion for barbarians and fighters, maybe even paladins and rangers who focus on strength instead of finesse.

Combat Mastery
At Level 5 for barbarians, paladins & rangers and levels 5, 11, 16 and 20th for fighters you get a bonus damage pool of dice that refreshes each round. The dice you receive is a D8 for one handed melee weapons and D10 for heavy weapons. These dice DO NOT STACK with dice provided by sneak attacks. You receive one extra die per attack you receive when using the attack option with the strength attribute only. You do not receive an extra die for two weapon fighting. When you attack you state how many extra dice you roll if you hit. You can use all of the dice on one attack or split them up among multiple attacks. Any dice not used up before the end of the round are lost. You must state the amount of extra dice to add to the attack damage BEFORE making your attack roll(s). The dice refresh each combat turn.

Thoughts?

That looks complicated. It would be simpler and more-balanced if you just said that Strength-based melee weapon attacks did extra damage (+1d6 for one-handed, or +1d8 for two-handed), but even that would be more complicated and unbalancing than it would need to be in order to get the idea across. Strength-based melee fighters are not lacking for damage in this edition.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm not overly concerned but if you were happy with 3e then perhaps use 3e as a model. Finesse weapons can use Dexterity to hit but damage is still based on Strength.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
If the adventures I played growing up in the AD&D days taught me anything, just make sure that there are plenty of bars to bend and gates to lifts wherever characters go!

Meh, other than the Rogue, DEX-melee is pretty weak. DEX-melee can't rock feats like Shield Master, Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master, etc. DEX-melee can't grapple and/or shove you prone, either. STR is still easily the superior melee stat.

I don't like the feel of strength being a dump stat either. I seriously considered house ruling that it was still strength that added to damage if the 'to hit' bonus came from dex. But in the end decided it didn't really matter plus with Xanathar's Hexblades could use Charisma as attack stat convinced t stick with the RAW.

I just have a lot of really heavy doors to open or bandits leaders who want to arm wrestle for the parties life if they all dump strength lets them know how I feel about it. :)

ccs

41st lv DM
Agree, the OPs idea looks more complex than needed.

Do one of the following instead:
1) Get rid of rapiers altogether.
2) Remove the + on melee damage from Dex.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
If you think Str is a dump stat and Dex is a "God" stat in D&D, don't ever play the horrific monstrosity that is d20 Star Wars...

No, I don't perceive Str as a dump stat in D&D. The game mechanics don't tempt most PCs to dump it, and I have not seen it dumped in actual play. Int, OTOH, really needs some mechanical help.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Remove ads