Will D&D make strength matter again?

Aren't Shove and Grapple resisted by Str or Dex?

They are. But many monsters require a str save precisely.

One reason to be str based:

If you are grabbed yourself, there is no restriction that you can't shove the attacker. So while you need to waste an action to escape a grab (with the specific escape a grab action), you can just attack and replace an ecmxtra attack with one or two shoves to just push the attacker out of reach. You can then even savely retreat without using the disengage action.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Aren't Shove and Grapple resisted by Str or Dex?

For those things, yes. However, as above and others things, like being tackled by a fire giant or escaping the weighted net of a frost giant in SKT, or some dinosaur effects, etc. I also use adult dragons tail sweep to knock prone if you get hit, STR save only since you already got hit, that sort of thing.

Basically any effect that you cant dodge from I use STR as the ability. A gust of wind that you are in the area of you cant slip, you have to have to just STR it out. Also for the really huge strong creatures I sometimes use the old Large and in Charge feat, when you are hit from an opportunity attack from a large or bigger creature with a high strength and reach you need to make an opposed STR check or they push you back 5'. Something like a giant or larger. It impresses upon the players just how big and strong some creatures are.

Remove ads