How do you make a Barbarian interesting? :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Ehhhh...sword/axe/club are all much the same to them, equally likely, equally unsurprising.
...equally sharp.

What'd be surprising, then? Rapier? Bohemian Ear-Spoon? Manriki-gusari? Feather duster? Herring?

... I mean, at some point, your choice of weapons must render your character interesting, right?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Change their personality, motivations and appearance. How do we make any character interesting?

I have a very fat red haired barbarian who traveled with rogues. It was the most fun you can have in AD&D!

(I also won the lottery and rolled 6 consecutive 12s for hit points which was funny). He could not hit much even with an 18/30% strength (+1+3 AS I recall) but boy did we have fun running from the law!)

gyor

Legend
My idea for a Zealot Barbarian that doesn't rage, she Raptures, merging her consciousness with that of her God/dress when she "rages", experiencing Spiritual Ecstacy and Gnosis. Also has high enough Wisdom to have Divine Rituals.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...equally sharp.

What'd be surprising, then? Rapier? Bohemian Ear-Spoon? Manriki-gusari? Feather duster? Herring?

... I mean, at some point, your choice of weapons must render your character interesting, right?

Sure, weapon choice can make for an interesting ingredient for a PC. It may even go a long way towards defining the character. My bounty-hunter (ranger) half orc used a flail and spiked shield for 2WF and sword & board combat, and between disarms & shield bashes, he was quite unusual. Ditto my bisento and greatspear wielding polearm monk builds.

Lucian Corsican’s baguette, anyone?

A barbarian using anything other than a mainstream weapon will be quite unusual. Possibly ineffective, but undoubtedly interesting.

Last edited:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Ineffective? All right but the next time someone comes at you with a bunch of loganberries don't come crying to me!

5f9decb79ec7eaef757734bdc0c52300.jpg

Unwise

Adventurer
Even with the Kensei out for 5e I still prefer Barbarian mechanics for an unarmored, single sword wielding wanderer.

What really sold it for me was the level 7 advantage on initiative and "cannot be surprised" It adds a cool "Lone Wolf and Cub" aspect to it, no ninja is going to get the best of him. I also added in Alertness feat.

Remove ads