WotC President Chris Cocks Talks Magic and D&D - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra View Post
    Umm... so M:TG could do a Hearthstone move and introduce a D&D themed set? Sounds interesting
    Honestly, I've always thought of that as a matter of "when," not "if."

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by The Big BZ View Post
    Or could it be that they are calling for DMs because of the level of demand? Spoiler: it is.
    I think ONE factor is a lot of veteran DMs are turned off by the new AL system. Generally, there are lots of players wanting to play - especially new people. So, I think demand for DMs has increased because of both factors.

Naturally, I have no hard data to back this up. However, the coordinators calling for DMs in my area say we have lots of new folks who want to play and a fair number of their regular DMs are giving it a pass. I suspect as @AriochQ has mentioned, many veteran players are passing on it too.

Clearly, I have one local impression. It may be very flawed and the new AL system may be wildly popular and doing wonders for growing the game. I have my doubts...

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Does anyone have the numbers for AL?

Is it even a large enough % of the player base to matter?

Eye see you little fishie
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Dont know the numbers but AL matters. The largest collection of AL games in a single weekend is happening at GameHoleCon and look at the guest list.

https://www.gameholecon.com/guests
    DMSGuild Hottest items
    https://www.dmsguild.com/top_100.php...iate_id=182934
    Note that both the above links have my affiliate id.
    https://www.twitter.com/darjr

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by darjr View Post
    Dont know the numbers but AL matters. The largest collection of AL games in a single weekend is happening at GameHoleCon and look at the guest list.

https://www.gameholecon.com/guests
    We should make a distinction between advertising and player counts.

Conventions provide what I think would be some cheap advertising. As far as player base though, they don't matter. If every player stopped playing at conventions the dip in the player base would not be significant enough to be noticed.

Similarly, I bet a dip in the popularity of AL (if there is such a thing) has such a minuscule impact on the player base (and growth of) to not matter.

Eye see you little fishie
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Could be, but I think the number of players at conventions is a smaller part of the number that want to go. So large player numbers swells the ranks of convention goers, AL included.

I also think that its significant that the other big conventions D&D goes to have a large AL turnout, like winter fantasy and origins.

But I do suspect AL is a fraction of the larger player base. I wish I knew how much. Maybe WoTC does?
    DMSGuild Hottest items
    https://www.dmsguild.com/top_100.php...iate_id=182934
    Note that both the above links have my affiliate id.
    https://www.twitter.com/darjr

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Could be worse

Quote Originally Posted by thundershot View Post
    What an unfortunate last name. Worse than mine..:

I dont care about MTG but I AM interested in revisiting classic worlds with books like this...
    He could have been named Harry.
    Laugh Parmandur laughed with this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Yeah. A poorly crafted game whose biggest draws were the D&D logo & using recycled D&D art.
    I also remember their promotion of trading in your MTG cards for Spellfire cards. Why do you ask?
    Given that D&D and MtG are owned by the same company and share resources and IPs now, it's funny that they were briefly rivals.

Scout (Lvl 6)

Quote Originally Posted by AriochQ View Post
    Spoiler: It isn't. My LFGS has fewer tables in season 8 than in season 7. It is due to a lack of players, not DM's. For the last three weeks we have had to combine two tables to meet 3 player minimum requirements. Imagine being a new player and walking into an AL game:

Point buy
    PHB+1
    ok, we are good so far
    oh, you don't get treasure...ever...you just get gold when you level
    ummm...ok...
    speaking of leveling, you level every 4 hours, or 8 later on so you out level any hardcover content pretty quick...but you can go slow...but you will still likely out level the content
    ummm...sure...sort of like the worst version of milestone ever
    Now you get it!...also, magic items are look but don't touch. If you want them, you just save up some points and them buy them. Nothing like the excitement of shopping for magic items, amiright?
    ummm...so I go through adventures but it doesn't really matter what I do since I level based on play time, don't get gold (or any other treasure) and have zero chance of getting a magic item?
    Now you got it! Just the way Gygax intended the game to be played!
    [Lighting bolt from above incinerates AL DM]
    The plural of anecdote is not evidence. We just went from 7 to 8 tables and having people approaching us to DM. With regards to the way Gygax wanted to game to be played, I would estimate that around 6 of our 60 players have heard of him.

The Laughing One

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    True, but it was a product that had a rather severe slump when the fan base fragmented with 4e and Pathfinder. I see this more as a recovery with a newly introduced product - not just a new version, but a new business model (slow and steady) which reduces barrier to entry. My *guess* is that AL is also doing a better job of introducing new players + welcoming returning ones then the 4e in-store initiatives, but I don't have numbers for that.
    Slump, you can call it a crash with 4E. When Icv2 is noting that in their top 5 RPGs, D&D isn't mentioned, something is seriously wrong*... 2010-2014 wasn't kind for D&D...

*ICv2 is seriously flawed, but in this case Paizo does a serious amount of direct sales, WotC doesn't and both have their primary markets in the US.