Review Dragon Heist, Mad Mage, and Ravnica!

Three books over on the reviews section need your reviews, comments, or ratings. Please head on over to Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica and leave your rating!

Three books over on the reviews section need your reviews, comments, or ratings. Please head on over to Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica and leave your rating!

reviews.jpg

Other recent notable books awaiting ratings include Vampire the Masquerade 5th Edition, Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory Core Rules, and Masks of Nyarlathotep.

The system averages ratings to create an overall trending total once a book has 10 or more reviews.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That does not change either of two facts: 1) the modules still aren't generating buzz and my main point, 2) this is likely not because they're set in the Realms.

The Realms, if anything, probably help.

Dragon Heist has been getting very good reviews, as a rule. While a heist is not laid out per se, there are 18 keyed dungeons in the book (a dungeon is nothing if not a heist waiting to happen), and the possibility of a group of players pulling a heist at some point is fairly high if given free reign.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
The Realms, if anything, probably help.

How would we know that? Saying it's the most popular setting by far when it's the only real official choice is just sort of winning by default, right?

Ravenloft only partially exists as a one-off AP.

The only other real setting release is very recent and based on a non D&D specific setting (which, if I had to bet will likely not sell as well as WoTC would hope and reinforce their perception that it's the Realms or nothing).

Even as not really a fan of the Realms myself, I would even take non Sword Coast FR content at this point. Even that would get me more excited than more of the same.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How would we know that? Saying it's the most popular setting by far when it's the only real official choice is just sort of winning by default, right?

Ravenloft only partially exists as a one-off AP.

The only other real setting release is very recent and based on a non D&D specific setting (which, if I had to bet will likely not sell as well as WoTC would hope and reinforce their perception that it's the Realms or nothing).

Even as not really a fan of the Realms myself, I would even take non Sword Coast FR content at this point. Even that would get me more excited than more of the same.

The Realms has long been the setting for New York Times best selling novels, and hit video games, and board games. Sure, there is an element of self-fulfilling prophecy, but the popularity is not something WotC can overlook.

While acknowledging that it has stereotypical elements (or rather, archetypal), I really like the Realms, particularly the Sword Coast and environs. I am not alone in this. If one out of three groups want to use the Realms, and another third are willing to take Realms material and shave off the serial numbers...WotC is making the smart move.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Because WotC did a poll, and FR was heads, torso, and feet more popular than every other setting. Is it likely due to FR getting more spotlight than any other setting since 2e? Sure, quite possible. Doesn't change the fact that, unfortunately, it's the most popular D&D setting.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Because WotC did a poll, and FR was heads, torso, and feet more popular than every other setting. Is it likely due to FR getting more spotlight than any other setting since 2e? Sure, quite possible. Doesn't change the fact that, unfortunately, it's the most popular D&D setting.

Fair. I happen to think it's because of the almost laser focus on the setting for multiple editions more than anything else. But a safe bet is a safe bet. Though, by that logic maybe a real FR book? Since, you know, SCAG is pretty limited (being generous here).

WotC offices earlier today. Pic Unrelated.

[sblock]
View attachment 103511
[/sblock]

Last edited by a moderator:

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I've only just gotten a hold of Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica and Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and I've been slowly digesting the contents of the two ever since. From what I've read so far, these are really high quality and well written products!
GGtR has actually inspired me to write backgrounds and factions in a way that both blends flavor and mechanics (in a more intertwined way), with also using the renown system.
And I've been mining Dungeon of the Mad Mage for dungeon ideas and even game ideas for one-shots.

The Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica is actually really cool, I think it will benefit from a bigger official adventure in it maybe spawning lvls 1 to 5, I think more people would be able to digest and understand the setting better that way. There is a total of four adventures in the dmsguild in which none covers a range of more than one lvl. I believe people are having a hard time understanding the setting even with the explanation in the book, the adventure seeds and the intro adventure included in it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fair. I happen to think it's because of the almost laser focus on the setting for multiple editions more than anything else. But a safe bet is a safe bet. Though, by that logic maybe a real FR book? Since, you know, SCAG is pretty limited (being generous here).

WotC did try to do make Greyhawk (my personal favorite) a thing in 3E, but bent to commercial pressure in the end. In 4E, they tried to displace FR and relegate it to a one-year deal, and in the end bent to commercial pressures. Hardly a laser focus at all, WotC tried and failed to escape Toril's orbit.

Rhylthar

Explorer
I really love the Realms. When I look behind me there are most of the books (and novels) ever published. I do not nearly have the knowledge of the Realms as the Sages of candlekeep.com, but playing 20+ years in this setting helps a little bit. ;)

But here in Germany a lot of players have prejudices against them. May be it is the influence of Aventurien (The Black Eye´s Setting), I don´t know. I recently convinced some players in a forum that there is more to the Realms than they might have heard. I recommended some novels (especially Murder in Cormyr), wrote some articles...and now they bought all the old stuff especially FRCS 3E.

Hussar

Legend
That does not change either of two facts: 1) the modules still aren't generating buzz and my main point, 2) this is likely not because they're set in the Realms.

Not generating buzz on En World, maybe. I dunno. The FB Dragonheist site has 2000 members and is pretty active, with posts by Mr. Greenwood on occasion. The https://www.reddit.com/r/WaterdeepDragonHeist/ subreddit has 1800 users and new posts daily. It's sitting in the mid 400's on Amazon.com, what, six months after release? DotMM and Dragonheist are the top two modules WotC has out in terms of sales on Amazon right now. There's a couple of dozen supplementary adventures and background products for Dragon Heist on DM's Guild, many of them done by Guild Adepts.

How much better do you expect a module to do? What would you consider "generating buzz"?

Nebulous

Legend
The Realms has long been the setting for New York Times best selling novels, and hit video games, and board games. Sure, there is an element of self-fulfilling prophecy, but the popularity is not something WotC can overlook.

While acknowledging that it has stereotypical elements (or rather, archetypal), I really like the Realms, particularly the Sword Coast and environs. I am not alone in this. If one out of three groups want to use the Realms, and another third are willing to take Realms material and shave off the serial numbers...WotC is making the smart move.

I don't understand the whole Realms/Greyhawk anger thing. I never have. Aren't they both fairly generic fantasy worlds? What's the big deal?

Remove ads

Remove ads