"How do I beat the Matt Mercer effect?" - Page 11
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Quote Originally Posted by Saelorn View Post
    To look around these forums, someone might be led to believe that point-buy is the consensus default method, rather than it being one of two secondary alternatives that exist for those too squeamish to use the actual default.

If one source gives unequal coverage in favor of rolling, then I consider that more than fair, given how far others seem biased against it.
    The vast majority of the people posting here are well aware of what options exist. The same is not true of Handbooker Helper’s target audience. It’s fine if they want to present rolling stats as the default. It is, after all. But not even mentioning that there are other ways your group might prefer, let alone talk about them? That just seems like a poor “advice” video.
    XP N/A gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

You haven't really played D&D unless someone has uttered the phrases in game:
    Destroy the beast, find the baby
    or Not a woman?!

I pity all these Mercerites...
    Last edited by Sadras; Tuesday, 1st January, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
    XP phantomK9 gave XP for this post

I've recently gotten into watching the first Critical Role campaign. Mostly, I have it on as background while I work on my own D&D stuff. It's sort of like mood music in that regard.

I also agree with @5ekyu & @cmad1977 in that it's kind of like listening to a radio play.

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    I don't see how this is any different from getting a player who has only ever had one DM before YOU. And unlike that situation, you have the benefit (if you want) of knowing exactly how this other DM does the job.
    It has a lot of similarities, but Critical Role has a much large audience than one player's former DM. That popularity gives it a kind of implied authority that goes beyond "the one guy who introduced me to the game did it this way."

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    As with all social issues in RPGs, COMMUNICATION is key.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfcrusher View Post
    See, I don't get this. Do people really evaluate other roleplayers based on their acting ability?
    Unfortunately, yes, it's a thing I've seen before. Fortunately, I haven't seen it often; making me inclined to think it's a rare behavior. But then, I only have experience with a little more than handful of different DMs, a couple of whom I've trained. So, I might be wrong about its rarity.

Some of the gamers whose company/participation I most enjoy are terrible actors, but they are very good at coming up with courses of action that are both in-character and surprising. The fact that they deliver it in third-person monotone in no way detracts from the entertainment value. In fact, it may improve it because it leaves the details to my imagination, which is better than any acting.
    I agree, save for one point: third-person monotone is something of a turn off for me. I'd rather have a first person William Shatner impression (or insert other bad acting stereotype here) than third-person monotone.

Quote Originally Posted by SkidAce View Post
    I kinda disagree, we've been describing spellcasting and weapon attacks with "quick one liners" since the late eighties. I dont feel that it bogs down or causes spotlight issues.

We cal it "flourish" and the level of it can vary depending on the scenario, but it has never caused a problem of any kind. The players who aren't as verbose say "nice" and then roll their dice for their attack.
    I like to do that too with my NPCs (and my characters on the rare chances I get to play instead of DM). As long as it's quick, it works well. Although, you can do a more involved version of it with the first use of an ability, then the quickie version later is a reminder and call back to the initial description.

Quote Originally Posted by cmad1977 View Post
    2) it’s kind of like ‘watching the tape’ when you’re on a sports team. I get to hear someone handle different situations and think about wether they did it ‘right’ or how I would do it differently.
    I agree. It's a great opportunity to see how another DM (one who is, apparently, fairly popular and somewhat beloved) handles things. It's a great opportunity to look at what he does and ask myself if using what he does, or elements of it, can improve my game. Sometimes that answer is yes, sometimes it's no.

Quote Originally Posted by VengerSatanis View Post
    As author of a bestselling book on GMing, I have an opinion that may or may not be worthwhile to you. But I usually don't sugarcoat my dark wisdom.

VS
    Without giving a title, that comes off as trying to claim authority granted to you by a group large enough to make your book "bestselling." I'm not saying that was your intent, I'm just saying that if you're going to drop being a "bestselling author" in a conversation, give a name or a link so others can see the presumably great work you've done.
    XP 5ekyu, Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

What the heck, Irish Dwarves?

Whats next, Female Dwarves?

Everybody knows that Dwarves have Russian accents. Celtic accents are just wrong.
    Da Tsovarisch
    Laugh jmartkdr laughed with this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Quote Originally Posted by Shasarak View Post
    What the heck, Irish Dwarves?

Whats next, Female Dwarves?
    Absolutely!

Furthermore...

British Elves?

What's next, Elven teatime?

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Quote Originally Posted by Aebir-Toril View Post
    Absolutely!

Furthermore...

British Elves?

What's next, Elven teatime?
    All my elves are British. As are my humans, dwarves, halflings, orcs, dragons... it’s almost like I can’t do accents!
    XP Yardiff gave XP for this post
    Laugh Aebir-Toril, The Old Crow, Jester David laughed with this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    All my elves are British. As are my humans, dwarves, halflings, orcs, dragons... it’s almost like I can’t do accents!
    You and me both...

Member SILVER SUBSCRIBER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

I don't do accents well, but I do change the words they use.

I.e. Kobolds; "Yea, yip yip, lets go! Grrr I hear yah kupo! Yip yip."

Dwarves: "Aye, let's go then. Shiza, I canna hear them, ach."

"My favorite part of DMing is making whatever interests the characters important. Or at least seem important." - James Wyatt

Unconquered Kingdoms, Obsidian Portal July 2016 Campaign of the Month
    XP doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Quote Originally Posted by SkidAce View Post
    I don't do accents well, but I do change the words they use.

I.e. Kobolds; "Yea, yip yip, lets go! Grrr I hear yah kupo! Yip yip."

Dwarves: "Aye, let's go then. Shiza, I canna hear them, ach."
    I do a similar thing-- inventing a set of a few dozen words from their native language that monsters may throw into speech-- whenever the PCs encounter intelligent enemies.