"How do I beat the Matt Mercer effect?"

On Reddit, a user named Mister-builder asked Matthew Mercer how to deal with folks who unfavourably compare their home game to that of Critical Role's videos. Matt took to Reddit to pen a reply.

"I'm running a campaign for a lot of first-timers, and I'm dealing with a lot of first-timer problems (the one who never speaks up, the one who needs to be railroaded, the NG character being played CN and the CN character being played CE). Lately, however, there's a new situation I'm dealing with. A third of my group first got interested in D&D because of Critical Role. I like Matt Mercer as much as the next guy, but these guys watched 30+ hours of the show before they ever picked up a D20. The Dwarf thinks that all Dwarves have Irish accents, and the Dragonborn sounds exactly like the one from the show (which is fine, until they meet NPCs that are played differently from how it's done on the show). I've been approached by half the group and asked how I planned to handle resurrection. When I told them I'd decide when we got there, they told me how Matt does it. Our WhatsApp is filled with Geek and Sundry videos about how to play RPG's better. There's nothing wrong with how they do it on the show, but I'm not Matt Mercer and they're not Vox Machina. At some point, the unrealistic expectations are going to clash with reality. How do you guys deal with players who've had past DM's they swear by?

TL;DR Critical Role has become the prototype for how my players think D&D works. How do I push my own way of doing things without letting them down?"

Critical-Role-Matt-Mercer.jpg

Here was the reply from Matthew Mercer:

"Seeing stuff like this kinda breaks my heart. Regardless, the fact of the matter is our style of play is just that...our style of play. Every table is different, and should be! If they just want to “copy” what we do, that’s not very creative nor what makes the game magic at the table.

I DO believe that it’s important for any gaming group to discuss expectations early into a campaign so everyone can get on the same page and avoid dissonance. However, it’s EVERYONE’S responsibility at the table to provide and add to the experience for everyone to enjoy themselves and the story, not just the DM. As I saw some comments below mention, you want a particular style of game? That level of commitments rests on YOUR shoulders. Consolidate your style and wishes with those of the other players and DM, and somewhere in that unique mix you will find your table’s special style of storytelling.

Need I also remind your players that we are a table of professional actors, and I have been DMing for well over 20 years. We have spent our lives training in particular skills that allow us to get as immersed in the characters as we enjoy doing. Anyone can jump in as deeply, should they wish to, but EXPECTING that immediate level of comfort and interest is unfair and absurd. Do they want a deep, convoluted emotional journey like Scanlan? They better be able to bring it like Sam did. No? Then sit down and just have fun finding your own path. ;)

PLUS, our style isn’t for everyone! Hell, just scan the comments below to see how many folks don’t like us, haha. I’ve played with many different players, ran games of many different styles and focuses, and I can tell you... there is so much fun variety to how a TTRPG can be played, they’re limiting their chances to enjoy it by trying to “play it just like us”.

Anyway, I say the best course is have a very frank conversation with them about these things. Clearly say that your game will feel like YOUR game (meaning you and the players together), and it’s THEIR responsibility to bring to the table what facet they want to see in it. Show them this post, if it helps. In fact, show them this message:

“Guys. Relax. Your DM is kicking ass, and is doing this for YOUR enjoyment and journey. Appreciate that, listen, build with them, and make this something UNIQUE. Abandon expectations and just have fun together as friends.”

Anyway, so sorry. Things like this are never my intent. It’s a weird, wild west these days. Your gonna be great, friend.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dwarves in my campaign speak like they're from North Dakota or they're Yoopers. Brush up on Fargo. You betcha!

I'm playing my current dwarf with a really bad and inconsistent Scots accent. I found that there's a pattern to my inconsistency - the more important it is to the dwarf, the more Scots he sounds.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Dwarves in my campaign speak like they're from North Dakota or they're Yoopers. Brush up on Fargo. You betcha!

Sadly, no players have decided their dwarf speaks like that. Can't imagine why!

God help me, you’ve just inspired my next Dwarf PC I play. :)

5ekyu

Hero
I'm more worried, I'm about to start DMing for my kids and niece&nephew, but some of them watch rather silly D&D youtube channels and that's not my style.
I can feel you there. Some of the youtuber how-to-GM guys popular on these forums here make me cringe so often that if somebody came unto my game with a "but Matt says..." attitude (not Mercer btw) there would be a quick "let's get on same page" moment.

But in fact, just today had my first session, solo background run, with a new player to not just the campaign but new to me as GM and new to our gaming group entirely that I met through a CritRole meet-up and subsequent "one-off session" at FLGS I ran as a trial (another first for me) and it went fantastic.

She came to DnD thru CR. She came to my game thru CR meet-up. No horror stories - just damn good fun. Heck, she is more CRoller than me. But, not one problem, just fun and bloodshed.

Mercer and crew to me are not problems, but opportunities and for me entertaining ones at that. I will take a dozen of the fans of "that Matt" over "that other Matt" any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I can feel you there. Some of the youtuber how-to-GM guys popular on these forums here make me cringe so often that if somebody came unto my game with a "but Matt says..." attitude (not Mercer btw) there would be a quick "let's get on same page" moment.

But in fact, just today had my first session, solo background run, with a new player to not just the campaign but new to me as GM and new to our gaming group entirely that I met through a CritRole meet-up and subsequent "one-off session" at FLGS I ran as a trial (another first for me) and it went fantastic.

She came to DnD thru CR. She came to my game thru CR meet-up. No horror stories - just damn good fun. Heck, she is more CRoller than me. But, not one problem, just fun and bloodshed.

Mercer and crew to me are not problems, but opportunities and for me entertaining ones at that. I will take a dozen of the fans of "that Matt" over "that other Matt" any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Now you've got me curious who the other Matt is.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm with you. My kids watch youtube playthroughs of games they own and could be playing. HOW is that more fun?!

But it happens. I just don't understand why.

I'd wager it's about the same reason people play Rock Band rather than learn to play guitar and drums - you get the gratification of experiencing something related to the original without the hassles and complications. In Rock Band's case, you don't really need to learn chords and build calluses. While watching youtubers play games, you don't need to suffer the frustrations of repetitive play and respawns to see how the game plays out (plus, they may enjoy the banter fo some of the youtubers).

jasper

Rotten DM
I tell my players I have only watched 20 minutes of CR. And it is our game. And if they want a MM game. My going rate is $500 cash in small bills.
Or I say look around the table, or the other players like any of MM players.

jgsugden

Legend
I'm more worried, I'm about to start DMing for my kids and niece&nephew, but some of them watch rather silly D&D youtube channels and that's not my style.
There can be a wide spectrum within a game. Ease them in with what they're familiar with from their viewings, then transition to something more your style. One of the things Mercer does well is cover a spectrum of styles and emotions, from comedy to tragedy, from action to emotion, from hopeful to dysptopic.

As a DM, the core story of my campaigns is almost always the same: The world is falling apart and the PCs need to find a way to stop it before the final pillar of hope is lost... and then there is a twist and things get worse... but the heroes get a new opportunity to save the world. That tends to make the trail ends of the campaigns feel similar - but the buildup to it can be quite different. I've had Forgotten Realms campaigns that felt like the PCs walked out of an Indiana Jones movie... Homebrews where everything was a joke until someone didn't get the joke and fear set in... A Dragonlance Game that ... well, let's call it a kitchen sink. They all moved towards a desperate fight for the survival of the world where I tried to get as mny white knuckle moments as I could into the game.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm with you. My kids watch youtube playthroughs of games they own and could be playing. HOW is that more fun?!

But it happens. I just don't understand why.
You don’t really watch Let’s Plays to see the game being played. You watch them for the Let’s Player’s reactions and commentary, which are often quite entertaining. In that sense, it can actually be more enjoyable with a game you own and have played through yourself, because you can empathize with the Let’s Player, watching them go through an experience you’ve had yourself, and how their experience with the game is similar to or different from your own. Sometimes Let’s Plays can be a good way to get a look at a game you’re interested in but not sure if you should buy, but that’s not really the primary appeal of the genre.

That’s kind of You Tube and Twitch’s MO in general. The content itself is largely just window-dressing for the real product, which is the content creator’s performance.

Henry

Autoexreginated

"The Other Matt" doesn't bug me either; it's the nature of the hobby to have strong opinions emerge throughout. I'm just glad Mr. Mercer and their crew recognize their role as ambassadors of the hobby and try to do their best to pass on good habits to others -- whether it's DM advice, good player advice, charity work, or even political consciousness. While I may not agree with their stances on some things, they do try to keep their personal opinions low-key and they even encourage others to be true to themselves (they even had a "get people to participate in their democracies" twitch event this year, and have used their platform to encourage people to talk about domestic violence and sexual abuse before.) It's one reason why a lot of people like them so much, they try to keep their influence in the community positive.

It doesn't cause them to censor their games of all "blue" content either, which I like -- people need to know that historically, D&D was built on just as many dick and fart jokes as it was heroic story moments. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases