The Untamed Wilds: Electric Skies

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawkeye scoffs, "Sounds like a muscle job to me. What would you like me to do, film it?"

Hawkeye gives the group his trademarked "wry grin," hoping that the joke goes over as well as it did when he imagined it in his mind's eye.

Waynan

Adventurer
Syd smirks at Hawkeye's comment as he thinks about it for a moment, then answers Trollick:

"Well, maybe; but I have found that what seems simple is never quite as."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Trollick Continues to Converse

Hawkeye scoffs, "Sounds like a muscle job to me. What would you like me to do, film it?"

Trollick presses his tongue against his cheek and rubs his bearded chin again. "That's not a bad idea."
Syd smirks at Hawkeye's comment as he thinks about it for a moment, then answers Trollick:"Well, maybe; but I have found that what seems simple is never quite as."

"Which is my assessment of the retrieval job. It seems the simplest task yet offers the highest pay."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
OOC:
Question about phones: what would be the related skill required to modify one's phone, to make it harder to hack in the VR?
Phones come with built in defenses but beyond that people can increase their phone security by adding their Commercial Task- Inversion. Unless someone is hunting you the phone hack won't often be an issue. The only time it is regularly used is when someone enters a restricted area, such as certain garden skyscrapers, then the building security would hack the phone to spy on whoever was in their building.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
If you posted during the previous week, your character receives 5 xp.

Shatterframe smiles and nods at your banter. "Whatever you decide, be at the address in three hours and we'll get to work. You may use your own transportation for the job if you wish. You have my number from the messages I sent you. I don't receive or send holograms. Now I need to prepare for our journey." She stands up and leaves the booth, inviting the three to stay as long as they like.

The atmosphere of the Axelrad Lounge appeals to the new Runners. The staff seems professional and competent, and the other customers seem content to mind their own business. You may use the Axelrad Lounge for meetings again if you like. Trollick, Syd Vicious, and Hawkeye take the time to chat and get to know each other better, sharing a few stories of their experience and how they built their skill sets. During the conversation the group decides to take the Cleveland job and knock out a few lizards. The quick, simple task will help the team adjust to each other.

At 2:00 am the three leave the lounge and travel to the address twenty blocks away. The electric sign depicts a plate of cheese nachos with a comical face driving in a sparkling black convertible. The text next to it reads 'Nacho Ordinary Vehicle Repair Center'. This street doesn't look much different from the one you left, with floating lights illuminating skyscrapers as far as you can see and different businesses on the ground floors with their signs glaring in vibrant colors. There is a little more traffic with vehicles speeding past on the street, but at this hour not much business is done.

As you arrive, the cargo door at the repair center rolls up and a plain maroon Ford van pulls out. The doors open and you can see Shatterframe seated in the operator chair with the Vehicle Link Display over her eyes.

"Glad you fellas could make it. Get in," she says through the van's intercom, which sounds remarkably like her own voice. From your experience with VLD's you know the operator can hear and see everything happening in their vehicle from internal sensors monitoring the passengers. There is ample space for the three of you. Traffic is sparse on the way to Cleveland district and Shatterframe is quickly able to reach peak speed on the highway so you arrive in good time.

Some Helton districts have exterior walls to protect citizens from what lives outside the city, and Cleveland is one of those districts. Shatterframe drives you through quiet streets to the thirty foot wall. Over the barrier the group can see the tops of trees from the overgrown Sam Houston forest. At the base of the concrete, in a shallow gully underneath a floating light, one man and one woman are waiting next to a bent and torn drainage grate with a hole large enough for a giant to fit through. They are both carrying shotguns.

Shatterframe tells you, "Your contacts names are Travis and Luceena. They'll point you at the lizards and you earn some quick pay."

You leave the van and approach the man and woman. Although their faces look distraught, they are friendly and shake hands with you when introductions are made. Travis is a short man with dark skin and a long goatee. Luceena is an elf over a foot taller than Travis, has lighter skin with curly green hair. They are both wearing flannel shirts and overalls.

Travis motions to the twisted grate and tells you, "Big lizards come in through here. Bastards. We're not allowed to leave the city to go after them or we would, but I guess that's what you're here for."

Luceena says,"Four of those things got in here when our horses were out to graze. They got our babies, Trydthrough and Maxina. We killed two of the things, but the others ran back through here. Bring us the heads and the credits are yours."

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Trollick nods, calming himself and expanding his sensitivity to the surrounding area. He is comfortable in the wilds that deter the urbanites, having grown up in them. With no adieu nor any further delay, he stoops through the opening in the grate. He pauses on the other side to wait for his friends.
[sblock=Perception]Effectiveness: Mind + Knowledge + Commercial

This passive technique represents noticing patterns, anomalies, or dangers in the immediate area due to seeing or hearing or even smelling things subconsciously. This may be augmented by various active or passive Collegiate Tasks. There is no random aspect to this task. This task may be opposed by Blend or Stealth, whichever is more appropriate.

Check: effectiveness + Konokoro (Collegiate) + d100: 13 + 18 + 82 = 113[/sblock]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawkeye takes a few moments to don his suit of heavy armor. He looks like a fish out of water, stumbling around in it, obviously having never worn it before. But after a minute or two, he seems to acclimate to the bulkiness, and his movements become less awkward, if not completely fluid.

Hawkeye says, "Big, clunky gun, check. Heavy, bulky armor, check. Ok, I'm ready. Let's go shoot some lizards!"

Hawkeye plods along behind Trollick, trying not to look like a total newb.

Waynan

Adventurer
Syd says nothing, just nods and follows behind. Hawkeye and Trollick will make perfect shields, if they get ambushed coming through the grate and drain pipe...but, then, since Syd was smaller and quick (out of necessity growing up on the streets all his life), and as the three got to know each other, the two "big guys" agreed that this was probably the best battle tactic, allowing Syd to use his ambush tactics to the best effect against hostiles.

He also kept silent because, Syd was a true street kid and had never been around natural things except for the occasional city park, and all this "green" had him as nervous as a bag of cats.

Waynan

Adventurer
Perception Roll: 59
Dang, but I miss Mulligans.

SYd finds that his two large compatriots fairly effectively block his forward line of sight when he is behind them, so he slows enough to get a few paces behind them and relies on his street sense (a sort of anxiety, really) to feel out any danger in their immediate proximity. All this green, though, was still a little unnerving. He felt naked, even though there were a lot of trees and shrubs.

"Keep it together, boy."​, he kept thinking to himself as he looked intently into every shadow.

Last edited:

Remove ads