Spells as intoxicants

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I'm playing an adventure in which the PCs own a tavern (if you know the adventure, you know the adventure, but no spoilers necessary). Our characters are a bunch of theater nerds who work as an acting troupe: we adventure and kill bad guys, and then write plays about our exploits and perform them at our tavern at night. It's pretty fun. I'm an illusionist.

Anyway, we just hit fifth level, and I took Hypnotic Pattern, and I was thinking about its use in a tavern, and it occurred to me: the decadent rich would pay bank to have some spells cast on them.

Hypnotic pattern has several descriptors:
-Twisting pattern of colors
-victims are charmed and incapacitated
-victims are in a "stupor"

It only lasts for a minute, but that sounds mighty like a drug trip--and given the "charmed" aspect, probably a pretty good one.

There's a danger in letting someone cast it on you, obviously, as it makes you helpless. However, in a relatively civilized place like a city, I can easily imagine wealthy rakes going in groups to a caster's den, each paying 5-10 gold, and en masse submitting to the spell, while their bodyguards watch at a safe remove.

What do folks think? Are there other spells intended for combat that might be appealing to the decadent upper classes?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Yes.

In my home setting, off the top of my head:
- Hypnotic Pattern is used by religious cults ALL THE TIME to keep their victims in a drug-like state.
- Dream is used by one noble family to create a sort of collective subconciousness/opium den similar to Inception.
- There is another noble family that throws parties based around everyone Vampiric Touching each other. They're a really disturbing bunch of people.

I could go on, but I think you get the gist.

Dausuul

Legend
I second dream. Other decadent spell uses (not all intoxicating, but in the same general vein):

Alter self can't be cast on other people, but a courtesan with that spell would command staggering fees. "I can be whoever you want me to be..." (Or, for an especially creepy form of this, simulacrum.)

Calm emotions might be used as a kind of antidepressant in times of grief.

Hold person and dominate person have obvious applications for people who are into that kind of thing.

Polymorph could be all sorts of fun, especially since it comes with a built-in safety net: If you turn into a bug and get stepped on, you just change back.

Serving a heroes' feast at a big event would be a huge mark of status (not just that you can afford the material component, but you can get an 11th-level cleric to cater your party). Even more decadent is if you can arrange to have it served to you for dinner every single night.

Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion would be a popular party destination.

Having someone kill you and then cast revivify would be the sort of thing brash young nobles do on a dare.

Guidance, preferably from a sorcerer with Subtle Spell, would be a great way to cheat at games.

Mirage arcane to redecorate your old run-down palace.

Protection from poison as a hangover cure.

I got a few:

(Tasha's) Hideous Laughter very much fits your bill here.

A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration.

To me, that sounds like a party drug. No mention of pain. If you're ready and you fall prone on something soft (i.e. a sofa) then it must be fun! And it's 1st level so probably rather affordable to the masses too.

Enthrall could be used by performers in a theater or inn

Modify memory is not exactly a party drug, but I could see people with bad experiences undergo it voluntarily.

I think that some illusions could generate a paying audience too, but they wouldn't intoxicate anyone.

the Jester

Legend
What do folks think? Are there other spells intended for combat that might be appealing to the decadent upper classes?

Totally, at least in my game. There's actually even a spell that specifically gets its subjects high and does nothing else- ritual of the lotus. I also have several other custom spells that work along those lines, like delicious aroma and dieter's meal (which createst an enormous, sumptuous feast that tickles all the senses, but is actually illusory, so you don't gain weight/get fat).

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
These ideas are horrifying, y'all. I love them, and I kinda want to run a campaign centered around them. Or at least a bonechilling one-shot.

jgsugden

Legend
I had an NPC cleric of a Love God that cast a ... variant ... of Tasha's Laughter. It caused a different type of positive euphoric state.

My gnome wizard (school of enchantment) has been known to target himself with Phantasmal Force when alone. He also casts modify memory on himself, and then uses the 14th level ability make him not realize he has done it. This allows him to stand up to magical interrogations and tell lies as truths. It also allows him to believe he has done some pretty amazing things.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I love the revivify game. Cool way to introduce a Flatliners plot...

Going through the spell lists...

Definitely sleep. Phantasmal force.

Blindness/deafness if you need to reduce distractions. Or at a carnival to heighten an auditory or visual experience.

A psychiatrist that can cast friends.

Bestow curse would make for an interesting party game: the last one to resist (the saving throw to act) loses.

Oooh, gaseous form would be a real trip.

Remove ads