Is Mike Mearls Happy Hour still a thing? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76
  1. #21
    Member
    Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

    the Jester's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Shingletown, CA 96088
    Posts
    22,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Eubani View Post
    Apparently a consultant back in 2014 was taken on despite warnings of domestic violence, sexual assault and abusive online behaviour. When face with this MM asked for information and many who had dealings with the consultant emailed Mike on their personal experiences with the consultant. Apparently Mike took the view that things were exaggerated or made up only after forwarding the emails to the consultant. Mike of late made a statement that the consultant was only a play tester and that WotC has stopped dealing with him. The consultant known as Zak S has a credit in the PHB as a consultant which is separate to play testers mentioned. Many were upset with Mike trying to low key his part in this and for him failing to take any personal responsibility. His twitter account with the message and the responses is probably more enlightening.
    My understanding is that the allegation that he forwarded the emails to Zak S is not actually supported by anything. All I've seen is a screen cap of Mearls asking for evidence of the allegations.

    Let's not join a witch hunt without some kind of actual reason, guys.

  2. #22
    Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    40,588
    Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    My understanding is that the allegation that he forwarded the emails to Zak S is not actually supported by anything. All I've seen is a screen cap of Mearls asking for evidence of the allegations.

    Let's not join a witch hunt without some kind of actual reason, guys.
    It was more that he dismissed those people who contacted him (as he asked) as a lynch mob. Turns out they werent. Add a couple of other really badly thought-through tweets, and a refusal to apologise for them, and Im not surprised hes staying out of the limelight for now.
    XP doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

  3. #23
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)



    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    It was more that he dismissed those people who contacted him (as he asked) as a lynch mob. Turns out they werent. Add a couple of other really badly thought-through tweets, and a refusal to apologise for them, and Im not surprised hes staying out of the limelight for now.
    It really bothers me that he wont just apologize. So what if he was acting in good faith, or didnt mean to hurt anyone, or was blinded by liking the guy? Satine Pheonix was blinded by being friends with the guy, too, but she immediately tweeted out a message of support for Mandy when the news broke.

    Mikes actions hurt people, its that simple. I dont get why people are so reluctant to apologize when theyve hurt people.
    XP Azzy, Olaf the Stout gave XP for this post

  4. #24
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    9,151
    Funny thing, he DID apologize. To one of the affected people. In person. And had a long conversation.

    We just didnt see it because it was a personal apology to the person called out and affected and not some boilerplate public show apology.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com
    XP UngeheuerLich, Zilong, SkidAce gave XP for this post

  5. #25
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

    Gradine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Funny thing, he DID apologize. To one of the affected people. In person. And had a long conversation.

    We just didnt see it because it was a personal apology to the person called out and affected and not some boilerplate public show apology.
    Which would more than sufficient if his actions had only hurt that one person.

    They didn't, so it isn't.
    --------------------------

    They/Them/Their

    EN World Iron DM 2017 Champion

    Iron DM 2018 Competition

  6. #26
    Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    40,588
    He was quoted in today's Washington Post article, so he's still talking -- just not on Twitter.

  7. #27
    Member
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradine View Post
    Which would more than sufficient if his actions had only hurt that one person.

    They didn't, so it isn't.
    Maybe he did this to more than this one person. I think there are many people who are not personally affected by MM's action and only speculating what really happened and stating it as facts. He is neither oblieged to apologize to them nor is it a good way to apologize to the people who actually were hurt by his actions.
    So I am happy that he is still in and apologizes to the right persons. If there was the list of email accounts he sent forward he is doing a good job going there and tell them he is sorry face to face.
    XP Zilong, Gadget, the Jester gave XP for this post

  8. #28
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    9,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradine View Post
    Which would more than sufficient if his actions had only hurt that one person.

    They didn't, so it isn't.
    Who?

    Okay, mistakes were made. WotC dun goofed when they has notorious trolls and asshats Zak S and the RPG Pundit involved in testing the game. That was a failure of researching people and doing background checks. But after the community pointed out they were asshats, WotC didn't work with them again.
    Foolish, but no one was "hurt". (And better than a lot of companies who worked and hired those people long afterward.)

    There's the rumour that Mearls shared emails including senders with Zak. But that was never proven. I've never seen any evidence of that. Not a single screenshot.
    It's not so much a rumour as a conspiracy theory.
    It was suspected because Zak brigaded some of the people who spoke out. But since these were already people ZS and the Pundit had fought with previously there's a simpler answer: they just made educated guesses as to who complained and targeted past victims.

    We can't hold Mearls responsible for their actions. The only person he hurt was the person he insulted by name in the Google+ post. And he apologized to them personally.

    Anything else is just the community asking him to jump through a hoop and dance for them. A show of contrition and public humiliation until we deem he has sufficiently been "punished".
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com
    XP the Jester gave XP for this post

  9. #29
    Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    40,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Who?

    Okay, mistakes were made. WotC dun goofed when they has notorious trolls and asshats Zak S and the RPG Pundit involved in testing the game. That was a failure of researching people and doing background checks. But after the community pointed out they were asshats, WotC didn't work with them again.
    Foolish, but no one was "hurt". (And better than a lot of companies who worked and hired those people long afterward.)

    There's the rumour that Mearls shared emails including senders with Zak. But that was never proven. I've never seen any evidence of that. Not a single screenshot.
    It's not so much a rumour as a conspiracy theory.
    It was suspected because Zak brigaded some of the people who spoke out. But since these were already people ZS and the Pundit had fought with previously there's a simpler answer: they just made educated guesses as to who complained and targeted past victims.

    We can't hold Mearls responsible for their actions. The only person he hurt was the person he insulted by name in the Google+ post. And he apologized to them personally.

    Anything else is just the community asking him to jump through a hoop and dance for them. A show of contrition and public humiliation until we deem he has sufficiently been "punished".
    Im sure hell be fine. Hes just staying quiet for a bit. Dont panic.

  10. #30
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

    Gradine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Who?

    Okay, mistakes were made. WotC dun goofed when they has notorious trolls and asshats Zak S and the RPG Pundit involved in testing the game. That was a failure of researching people and doing background checks. But after the community pointed out they were asshats, WotC didn't work with them again.
    Foolish, but no one was "hurt". (And better than a lot of companies who worked and hired those people long afterward.)
    And if that was what had happened, we wouldn't be here. Specifically, when the community pointed out they were asshats before 5e was published, Mearls deliberately dismissed those community members as trolls just looking to "form a lynch mob".

    The community tried to warn Wizards and Mearls specifically denigrated and dismissed them.

    And when Mearls stood with Zak against those trying to shine a light on his harassment, he, personally, made it that much more difficult for those voices to taken seriously within the community at large, to the extent that Zak still remained a respected, if not controversial, member of the industry for at least another 4-5 years before a credible enough voice broke that dam.

    And Mearls has not taken responsibility nor has he apologized for these statements. This is why he needs to make a public mea culpa; because his actions harmed the community as a whole, and especially survivors of harassment and intimate partner violence within the community.
    --------------------------

    They/Them/Their

    EN World Iron DM 2017 Champion

    Iron DM 2018 Competition

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour, Nov 27 2018
    By Leatherhead in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: Friday, 7th December, 2018, 10:22 PM
  2. Replies: 114
    Last Post: Monday, 26th November, 2018, 11:06 AM
  3. Tuesday May 29 Happy Fun Hour with Mike Mearls - more psionics!
    By Enevhar Aldarion in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: Wednesday, 30th May, 2018, 08:42 PM
  4. Mike Mearls' Happy Fun Hour: Barbarian Marauder
    By Kinematics in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Tuesday, 10th April, 2018, 10:15 PM
  5. Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord
    By Leatherhead in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 933
    Last Post: Saturday, 31st March, 2018, 11:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •