"Good" Creatures that are Chaotic or at least anti-Civilization

trentonjoe

Explorer
Periodically, I ask the people in my group what they would like to see/do.

In one game in which we play there is a strong LAW/CHAOS conflict. LAW and ORDER (and civilization) is limited to one city and CHAOS and WILDERNESS rules the land outside this one city. In this game UNICORNS and PEGASUS are the enemies of our adventuring party.

When I asked the group what they would like to see (more of) in this game, I got this response:

"More traditionally "good" creatures subverted to Chaos's side (your Unicorns are a prime example). The look of confusion on peoples faces realizing Unicorns are going anti-trope was great."

Unfortunately, in three months I have yet to come up with another good one! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
Metallic dragons? Some of them are chaotic good. Aren't blink dogs CG as well?

Fairies too. Some of the helpful ones could turn against civilization.

You know it is bad when the flumphs turn against you.....

(slightly more seriously) If the party hasn't encountered a 5e phoenix yet (and thus don't know they aren't good anymore), that would make a challenging foe.

Elves strikes me as the obvious one. They're typically very nature aligned, so it makes sense that they might align with chaos over order. Angels. 5e doesn't really do this because they made almost every celestial LG (including unicorns!), but historically the angels were allowed to be any good alignment. Storm giants.

For that matter, devils should be on the side of law here.

In my current campaign eladrin elves are the enemy.

In Pathfinder: Kingmaker it's fey.

Or you could have an extreme lawful order of paladins stamping out adventurers as a menace to society.

Immensely powerful forces of law and chaos are battling each other and humanity is caught in between. See Babylon Five, or anything by Moorcock.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Elves strikes me as the obvious one. They're typically very nature aligned, so it makes sense that they might align with chaos over order. Angels. 5e doesn't really do this because they made almost every celestial LG (including unicorns!), but historically the angels were allowed to be any good alignment. Storm giants.

For that matter, devils should be on the side of law here.

Devils are, it's a tenuous agreement....

Groups need rules and common loyalty to survive a serious crisis as in "the walking dead". To be a happy tree-hugger hippy is very easy when cops avoid Negan and Lucille, his baseball bat coated in barbed wire, or Lord Humungus (Mad Max 2) goes to your home to split your face.

My house rule is "chaotic good" means to obey the Natural Law, but they are attuned to primal forces or Nature. Other house rule is adding allegiance (country, tribe, family, religion, guild, brotherhood, race) and powers with key alignment can hurt enemies with same alignment but different allegiance (for example a drow cleric vs a orc shaman).

Oofta

Legend
There are surprisingly few CG monsters in the MM. Of course there aren't that many good monsters in the MM at all. The list is: brass or copper dragons, djinni, faerie dragons, pegusus, storm giant, treants.

As some others pointed out elves fit the bill. As far as other groups, I don't assume that chaotic means crazy people that will never band together or cooperate with a group. It just means they don't respect a title, they respect the person and their actions. They may not have hard-coded laws because they believe in the simple rule of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", etc.

For some reason chaotic alignments get a bad rep that I will never understand. So have a tribe of fierce freedom loving barbarians that have a functioning democracy or a band of elves who simply want you to prove your worth.

Remove ads