D&D 5E Fighting With Style, Fighting Styles as Level 1 subclass choices

Tony Vargas

Legend
You absolutely are. There is no "style" to adding energy damage to attacks. That's not a type of fighting like dual wielding or being more effective with a one handed weapon or being better at dodging attacks.
In a fanstasy sub-genre with magic as pervasive as D&D, in which the Fighter has a spell-casting sub-class, sure it is.
That's the point: to have a lead-in to EK.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If I were building an EK, I'd be putting my 4th and 8th to Str or Dex and then Int after that. Probably Warcaster somewhere in there.

I wouldn't let them out AC a shield user, that just feels weird.

The choice between AC or damage is an interesting one, but it's not a choice when Duelist and a shield is as good as both. It has to be better than Duelist with a Shield in some instances. At 5th level, you'd need an Int of 18 to be equal to Duelist's damage. At 11th level, you'd be better off with duelist in every situation, and you'll probably have more bonus action spells to compete for the resource (and it won't work with Action Surge).

Then you’re making your EKs unnecessarily MAD, while gimping their spellcasting. Why even play an EK rather than a Battle Master, at that point?

Regardless, choosing damage bonus type is significant, and again, balance isn’t just numbers.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Now, a bonus action is a noticeable cost.

Perhaps the AC bonus is always on, and you can use a bonus action to also gain +X elemental damage on each attack before the start of your next turn. I’d prefer a trade off.

I’m not sure it’s valid to ignore the utility of not needing a shield, and being able to choose an elemental damage type.

So, while wielding a weapon in one hand, and either an arcane focus, material spell component, or nothing in the other hand, you have a +2 bonus to AC, and you can use a bonus action to add your Intelligence mod to damage, and make your attacks deal one of Acid, Fire, Cold, Lightning, or Thunder, damage, until the start of your next turn.

That more damage per round than dueling, but requires a bonus action to do it. I’d also be fine with keeping the damage the same as dueling, because not needing a shield for the AC and choosing damage type are both decent benefits.

Xeviat

Hero
Now, a bonus action is a noticeable cost.

Perhaps the AC bonus is always on, and you can use a bonus action to also gain +X elemental damage on each attack before the start of your next turn. I’d prefer a trade off.

I’m not sure it’s valid to ignore the utility of not needing a shield, and being able to choose an elemental damage type.

So, while wielding a weapon in one hand, and either an arcane focus, material spell component, or nothing in the other hand, you have a +2 bonus to AC, and you can use a bonus action to add your Intelligence mod to damage, and make your attacks deal one of Acid, Fire, Cold, Lightning, or Thunder, damage, until the start of your next turn.

That more damage per round than dueling, but requires a bonus action to do it. I’d also be fine with keeping the damage the same as dueling, because not needing a shield for the AC and choosing damage type are both decent benefits.

I like the trade off idea. But even with the bonus action, I wouldn't want it to end up being better than duelist

If you're heart set on the bonus action, I think you should shoot for it to be comparable to TWFing, and not go for the AC boost. (Though now I have some new ideas in the ever growing how am I going to fix TWFing at my table thoughts)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
What about: If you have an implement in your off hand, when you use the attack action, you can use an action to make a melee spell attack dealing 1d6 + mod. elemental damage? Spellcasting ability is Intelligence

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Another idea. It's magic. So insteadInstead of attempting to compete on the raw damage front instead look for useful effects that aren't directly related to damage. If the effect you decide is most thematic isn't strong enough let the style also add a +1 damage bonus.

Magical effects you could potentially produce
-Extra reach
-5ft teleport
-weapon dealing elemental damage (possibly lighting up like a torch)

I think the last might be the most thematic for a fighting style. Essentially gives the fighter a light cantrip and the ability to change elemental damage types as needed. I'd consider added +1 damage as well.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Nah. I’m done with this. The premise is what it is. Either engage with it, leave me alone, or get blocked.

How is my saying, "I agree you need something there, I just think it should be this other broader thing" not engaging with the premise? In fact earlier in this very thread you were more sympathetic to the concept of a cantrip until I said I'd choose one that isn't an attack cantrip and then all of a sudden you were saying how that can't possibly fit your concept.

Xeviat

Hero
Why wouldn't allowing any Wizard cantrip be a lead-in to EK?

Also, the EK gets cantrips at 3rd level, and more cantrips start to become reduntant once you have the ones you want.

I'd go with bonus action for int spell attack, 1d4+Int damage, with some kind of longer reach, so you can do new weird things with it.

I also just like my first idea of bonus action to activate elemental damage on each hit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases