D&D 5E New Spell: Vanish

collin

Explorer
This is reminiscent of the Pathfinder Vanish spell, which I happen to like. I agree with other posters that 1 minute is too long, and that it should be a lower level spell that lasts for a much shorter period of time (although 1 round seems almost too short), but should not require concentration. I also agree the Hide action is unnecessary and just adds unneeded complexity.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
If you shorten this to 1 round, then including Hide in the spell effect becomes essential. Otherwise it's generally weaker than misty step, which is a bonus action, and only 2nd level. Because if vanish is only 1 round, then you need to use that round to move behind cover and Hide. So the thing that makes it 3rd level (and better than misty step) would be the free Hide action.

That also strikes me as very ranger-ish: you attack, and then turn invisible and dive behind a nearby bush. Where did he go???

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Pretty cool. Personally, I'd rather see it as a 2nd Level spell with a duration of "until the end of your next turn".

Right now, it is better than Invisibility in every single way, and while it is true that many 3rd level spells are simply superior to their second level counterparts (Fireball is just plain better than scorching ray) in many other cases while they're better overall, they're different with different strengths and weaknesses.

Clairvoyance does not accomplish what Detect Thoughts does, Fear won't freeze an enemy in place quite like Hold Person, Mirror Image provides another kind of protection that overlaps with Blur/Blink, Gust of Wind (2nd Level) trumps some 3rd level spells (i.e. Stinking Cloud), Nondetection protects from magical surveillance but not the naked eye like Invisiblity, and so on.

Overall, though, I really quite like it vanish.

the Jester

Legend
I have a thing against re-using names from older editions if it's not a straight up conversion. Since there was a vanish spell in earlier editions (1e, at least; not sure how far along it made it), I would change the name. But that's a thing for me, not necessarily for other DMs, so feel free to ignore that.

The spell itself looks fine to me.

Remove ads