Boxed Sets

How Do You Feel About Boxed Sets?

• I Miss Boxed Sets So Much! Please Make Some For Me!

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • Boxed Sets Are Nice. I Would Probably Buy Some.

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • I Never Really Liked Boxed Sets. I Might Buy One If I Really Liked The Subject.

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Boxed Sets Stink! I Would Never Buy One.

Votes: 6 4.4%

maddman75

First Post
IIRC, boxed sets stopped because they are horribly expensive. From what I've heard TSR was taking a loss on most of them.

Yeah, there were a lot of goodies in a boxed set. But unless you're willing to pay out the nose for them I wouldn't expect to see the format return any time soon.

lior_shapira

Explorer
I have almost 20 boxed sets from the golden 2e days, forgotten realms, planescape, spelljammer, ravenloft, al-qadim, dragonlance... :)

I like the book format of 3e but you simply cant beat the goodies that came in the boxed sets, the huge maps, the monster booklets... I still try to use a lot of that material as resources

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I love box sets.

However, I expect more today from a box set than 2 books and a poster map.

There are a few coming out this year (Midnight, Wilderlands, D&D Basic).

Zappo

Explorer
I liked boxed sets, but... well, for example, for Planescape I would have greatly preferred a hardcover. They're more durable.

The Mad Kaiser

First Post
maddman75 said:
IIRC, boxed sets stopped because they are horribly expensive. From what I've heard TSR was taking a loss on most of them.

Yes, but TSR (read Lorraine Williams) was notorious for spending money it didn't have instead of finding good deals (Remember the fancy Savage Coasts boxed-set with the CD? Big $$$). Towards the end, TSR was taking a loss on everything for the same reasons.

Nifelhein

First Post
I loved boxed sets and that is why am excited that FFg i making one for us Midnight fans... it comes out in august, if everything goes well... oh the anxiety!

Boxed sets were fine but I honestly prefer a hardbound book. The one nice thing about the boxed set was there was always extra room to put in a few other books for referrence purposes.
As for maps, one still gets them in books and cards are good excelpt when you lose 'em.

However, the question was- would you buy one? I believe I would if it captured my attention and imagination while within my budget.

Remove ads