• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The King that Crawls

ZenBear

Explorer
Does anyone know if Torog is still canonical for 5th Edition? I name-dropped him in my campaign for the Halloween session, where a Chain Devil chased my party of 4th level characters through the Underdark when they happened across it during its pilgrimage down The King's Highway. I'm curious if I could add him in a story I'm writing that I intend to be as canonically accurate as I can make it.

Mike Mearls made him a demon lord for his homebrew 5e Nethir Vale game. If your concern was bringing him to FR without conflicting with the setting's canon, that is what I would suggest ("natural" portals in the Underdark that bring you to his layer of the Abyss, which just looks like the Underdark). Even in as chronicled a setting as FR, there must be a bunch of big demons who haven't been named (it's a big universe, and they haven't turned their attention to the Realms yet).

That would be consistent with what they did with the Raven Queen and I think I saw something about Vecna being an archlich.....

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Mike Mearls made him a demon lord for his homebrew 5e Nethir Vale game...

...That would be consistent with what they did with the Raven Queen and I think I saw something about Vecna being an archlich.....

I am tired of Mike Mearls et al spying on my home campaign and stealing all my good ideas.

dave2008

Legend
Does anyone know if Torog is still canonical for 5th Edition? I name-dropped him in my campaign for the Halloween session, where a Chain Devil chased my party of 4th level characters through the Underdark when they happened across it during its pilgrimage down The King's Highway. I'm curious if I could add him in a story I'm writing that I intend to be as canonically accurate as I can make it.

There is not a single D&D "canon." Are you talking about Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Eberron, Dragonlnace, Dawn War/Nentir Vale, etc. ?

As far as I know Torog was introduced in the 4e Dawn War / Nentir Vale setting. In 5e he is still listed as a god in the Dawn War setting, but there has been no official support for that setting other than mentioning it in the DMG. So I guess that means he is still canon in the Dawn War setting, but there is nothing official in 5e about him other than that.

Remove ads