How does alignment work in encounter reactions?

pemerton

Legend
I'd prefer that the alignment modifiers apply only when reaction to the in-game manifestation of the character's alignment is being considered, whether it's a manner of speaking, or some other way that an NPC gets a "feeling" about the character that's not dependent on having a particular set of knowledge about this or that local religion. The idea I'm going for is that alignment is the thing that produces this effect, not an object that someone happens to be holding.
Fair enough.

What about the sneering lip of the NE or CE character? Or the friendly yapping of a blink dog companion? Are these just corner cases that don't need to be worried about?

(To be clear - I'm not sure how they should be handled. The AD&D rules are unclear on this, as you indicated in your opening post.)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
What about the sneering lip of the NE or CE character? Or the friendly yapping of a blink dog companion? Are these just corner cases that don't need to be worried about?

(To be clear - I'm not sure how they should be handled. The AD&D rules are unclear on this, as you indicated in your opening post.)

Right, and just how unclear they are is becoming more apparent. Part of the problem seems to be the way in which the modifiers have been given to us, basically as a set of modifiers to Loyalty, which we are then told to apply to a reaction check. We are left wondering to what degree we are to consider the monster a "henchman" of the character in question, at least for the purposes of the check. If the character speaking is to be considered as the "liege," then are we to only use those modifiers found under the heading of "liege" for the purpose of determining a reaction when someone is, in fact, speaking, or might they apply in other circumstances?

I've tried to focus this thread on the way alignment is treated in first edition encounter reactions to get some ideas about how this works in practice. I've played and DM'ed first edition in the past, but I don't recall ever using this mechanic. I'd imagine that many people have had the same experience. But I'd like to try using encounter reactions in my fifth edition games, and this issue of how exactly to treat alignment has been one of many grey areas I've come across.

Perhaps I should explain how I want this to all come out in the end. Conversation Reactions are the mechanic provided for resolving social interactions in fifth edition. To use this system, the DM is required to assign a Starting Attitude to the NPC of hostile, uncertain, or friendly. So what I'd like to add by converting the first edition system is a way to randomly determine the Starting Attitude based on certain factors, one of which has traditionally been the alignments of the parties involved. It's a part of the "classic" game that seems to be missing from the present edition.

So, to answer your excellent questions, I've gone back to the sources, because one of the principles I try to follow in interpreting first edition is that it expands on the game that came before it without necessarily superseding it. It turns out that, in 1974, Gygax and Arneson provided us with a Monster Reaction table to randomly ascertain the actions of "those monsters which are intelligent enough to avoid an obviously superior force," to use one of their phrases for such creatures. A short, incomplete list of possible modifiers to the 2d6 roll was given, including such factors as "the alignment of the parties concerned." No numerical values were given. It was not suggested that this method be only used for the purposes of a parley, social interactions, and the like. It was, rather, an all purpose tool for randomizing the dynamics of almost any encounter.

It's only with his presentation of the Encounter Reactions table on page 63 of the first edition DMG, that EGG seems to focus on verbal interaction as some sort of precondition for the use the table. In light of the earlier game's reaction system, which is almost identical in its basic design, and the example he gives on page 10 when illustrating the use of "averaging dice", I believe it's a misinterpretation of EGG's words to assume that reaction rolls only be used when a character is speaking. Nevertheless, verbal communication is a strong component of what he's adding with the AD&D system.

Specifically, he states that the NPC is to be regarded as a henchman of the character speaking. This would equate speaker with "liege" when using the rather extensive set of modifiers he gives for the purposes of determining an NPC's loyalty on pages 36-37, but he also gives another, small set of alignment based modifiers under the heading "Associated Group". I suppose that some of the uncertainty regarding the implementation of these modifiers stems from the fact that EGG only points us toward them in situations where a character is speaking, while at the same time, he gives no other modifiers for alignment to be used in situations where perhaps no one is speaking, besides those he gives for the liege's associates. We are left to choose between the two alternatives, then, that on the one hand, alignment only be considered when someone is speaking, possibly in contravention of earlier practices, and on the other, that alignment always be considered through use of the "associate" modifiers, but that it is intensified as a factor when someone speaks.

I'm now leaning strongly towards the latter. The intent seems to be that alignment will manifest in some way, whether it be through sneers, holy symbols, friendly yapping, or, my original suggestion, through the aura spoken of in the Know Alignment spell. The particular form of this manifestation is not important, however, if we agree that it is the alignment itself, or rather the difference in alignment, that is operating between the parties to produce the adjustments that we apply to the die-roll. How this mechanically operates over an encounter distance of up to 100 yards is another matter to consider, but it seems that the original intent was for alignment to play a part in any of these interactions. I think the simplest explanation is that alignment is not only our internal view of the world, but also how the world views us from the outside, encompassing something akin to reputation, perhaps.

Anyone have experience with using one interpretation or another in gameplay and potential pitfalls in verisimilitude that could result?

Hriston

I'd like to add that the above outlined approach ensures that differences in alignment between parties encountering one another manifest themselves in conflict. This makes sense in a world that is moved by gods that are on one side or the other. It turns every confrontation between those holding to diametrically opposed alignments into a battle between the forces of Law and Chaos, Good and Evil, in microcosm. With the encounter reaction table set up to favor a result that falls somewhere in the middle, alignment factors, as do any other conditions that produce negative modifiers to the die roll, promote conflict in such a way as to dramatize the cosmic struggle.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
In AD&D I skipped the rules for rolling for reactions and roleplayed what I thought was appropriate for whatever the party encountered. I was never big on the henchman hireling stuff as well and just roleplayed out NPCs the party hired or journeyed with.

I could see having a loyalty adjustment based on alignment as you interact a bunch and deep seated differences can cause some conflicts. But to have alignment differences affect encounter reactions would imply more cosmological import to alignment, that it physically interacts and affects things even when behavior and visual cues do not.

Alignment being cosmological with some mechanical effects is a neat concept, I would go all in with that rather than try to justify a reaction adjustment with things like everybody IDing alignment from minor appearance variations.

Hriston

In AD&D I skipped the rules for rolling for reactions and roleplayed what I thought was appropriate for whatever the party encountered. I was never big on the henchman hireling stuff as well and just roleplayed out NPCs the party hired or journeyed with.

That's how I've always played as well, and as the 5E DMG suggests, die-rolls should not be considered a replacement for roleplaying. EGG himself suggests "empathizing" with NPC's rather than relying entirely on a die-roll. I'm adding these types of rolls into my games, not so I can skip roleplaying, but to inform the outcome of the role-play by adding in some basic factors that I might not have thought of in creating or playing a character and by doing so consistently.

I could see having a loyalty adjustment based on alignment as you interact a bunch and deep seated differences can cause some conflicts. But to have alignment differences affect encounter reactions would imply more cosmological import to alignment, that it physically interacts and affects things even when behavior and visual cues do not.

That seems to be the implication of the way these rules are presented, and it may have been written into the game that way. It certainly makes sense when you consider how important the design of the outer planes was to the game at this time.

Alignment being cosmological with some mechanical effects is a neat concept, I would go all in with that rather than try to justify a reaction adjustment with things like everybody IDing alignment from minor appearance variations.

This is how I'm planning on dealing with it myself. It gives the DM the perspective of Fate, or the gods, seeing NPC's as unknowing agents of forces much larger than they are aware of. But there could be other ways to account for the degree of difference in alignment having the effect that it does, and I suppose that could change the conditions under which a modifier might apply. It may be that these decisions were purposely left up to the individual DM.

Hriston

Now, if we assume that degree of difference applies whenever an aligned creature is encountered, whether or not anyone is speaking, and that it is the furthest removed alignment of the group that determines the modifier, then do we consider the speaker's difference in alignment in all cases in which someone is speaking, or only if it is the furthest removed of the group?

My inclination is that only the greatest penalty should apply, whether from the speaker or another group member. This is in keeping with the way EGG instructs us to use the adjustments for Racial Preference and Special Considerations, using only the biggest pluses and minuses. For difference in alignment there are only penalties, so I would assume that only one modifier would apply, but notice that EGG tells us that the racial preference adjustments are cumulative for liege and associates. Should this logic be extended to the alignment factors as well, or are the preference adjustments specifically called out because they are meant to be used differently?

This brings me to another issue, that of the Alignment of Liege modifiers. Clearly, these are to be used when a character is speaking. The rationale seems to be that the speech of a character with a lawful alignment will produce a positive response in an individual, regardless of the individual's own alignment, while that of a character with a chaotic alignment will produce a negative response. The implication seems to be that someone who puts the needs of the group over the needs of the individual will garner a more positive response from people in general. Likewise, good alignment is more favored than evil alignment, but to a lesser degree. Even LE gets a more positive response than NG. So the right to life, happiness, and freedom from cruelty and suffering (as goodness is defined in the DMG) is not as important as ensuring that the group is provided for, but it does provide some icing on the cake. CE holds a special place in this scheme as the alignment that incurs a penalty greater in absolute terms than the highest bonus, that given for LG. This alignment seems to be extremely threatening to all who encounter it and may explain why LE is seen in a positive light in that it promises to protect the group, by the most expedient means, from the depredations of the strong. Thus we have Asmodeus serving as the champion of Law in the unending war with demon-kind.

My question is, are there any classes of creature that would not feel threatened when faced with the CE outlook, or is it the nature of CE that it threatens all individuals, regardless of extra-planar origins, for example?

Unless magic was being employed, in my 1E games alignment is something that comes into play over time rather than a factor in a chance meeting. Thus there I don't use any modifier to the reaction roll purely for alignment.

There are exceptions (aren't there always?) If someone were to bravely use the code of alignment language in a meeting with a stranger it could have an effect. If the alignments are compatible then it could be a positive influence. If not it could make things worse. The other way alignment could factor in would be if there were any activity witnessed that might suggest certain tendencies at the time of meeting. Examples include meeting someone suddenly as they are in the midst of casually torturing another person or ministering to a wounded companion with great care. The effects of witnessing these types of behaviors could have a positive or negative effect on that reaction.

Generally though, with most folks, it takes observation over time or direct dialogue to get a sense of alignment.

Hriston

[MENTION=66434]ExploderWizard[/MENTION], thanks for your response. I was hoping I would hear from someone who had actually used these rules. I, like others, skipped over them in the past, and now that I am delving into them I can see why I, or others, might have thought they were too complicated to use, or at least undesirable since just role playing seems like an easier option.

Unless magic was being employed, in my 1E games alignment is something that comes into play over time rather than a factor in a chance meeting. Thus there I don't use any modifier to the reaction roll purely for alignment.

Does this mean you only checked reaction for chance meetings? I think it was in the Holmes rules that the reaction roll was presented only in the context of wandering monsters. I guess the assumption was that if the DM had placed a monster intentionally then its motivations and agenda had been worked out ahead of time. Was that the way you played it?

There are exceptions (aren't there always?) If someone were to bravely use the code of alignment language in a meeting with a stranger it could have an effect. If the alignments are compatible then it could be a positive influence. If not it could make things worse.

I would have thought that this may have been one of the intended uses of the alignment modifiers given if it weren't for EGG's comments on alignment languages in the DMG. He specifically states that public use of an alignment language will always be seen as uncouth, and that members of the speaker's own alignment group will seek to distance themselves, which sounds like a somewhat negative reaction. It seems then, that the use of alignment tongues would not produce the results we see on the reaction tables.

The other way alignment could factor in would be if there were any activity witnessed that might suggest certain tendencies at the time of meeting. Examples include meeting someone suddenly as they are in the midst of casually torturing another person or ministering to a wounded companion with great care. The effects of witnessing these types of behaviors could have a positive or negative effect on that reaction.

I read the modifiers found under the heading "Special Considerations" as covering these types of situations. If the creature encountered is meant to be thought of as a henchman of the character speaking for the purpose of the check, then these modifiers would apply if say the creature witnesses the character killing or torturing one of its companions, or if the character offers to raise one of the creature's companions from the dead. Thus the character's behavior or the content of the speech of the character are considered as triggering the reaction in these cases, as opposed to the character's alignment.

Generally though, with most folks, it takes observation over time or direct dialogue to get a sense of alignment.

I had a feeling that there were many gaming groups that used alignment this way. I've encountered a couple of old Dragon articles which suggested such an approach, while at the same time I've read at least one which suggested that creatures would react to alignment without external markers, so I wanted to find out where various people stood on this. Thanks again.

Does this mean you only checked reaction for chance meetings? I think it was in the Holmes rules that the reaction roll was presented only in the context of wandering monsters. I guess the assumption was that if the DM had placed a monster intentionally then its motivations and agenda had been worked out ahead of time. Was that the way you played it?

The reaction roll was used for FIRST meetings whether they be by chance or not. If the PCs entered a new town and headed toward the weapon smith's shop to buy a new sword, their first meeting with the smith would call for a reaction roll. This wasn't a chance meeting but it was the first contact that they have with this person.

Even placed monsters with defined motivations can have varied reactions. If a group of monsters is noted as being in lair protection mode and have orders to bring all intruders to the chief or kill them there is still room for some variable reactions. Their predispositions mean that extreme positive reactions and offers of friendship aren't going to happen but the difference between a good reaction and a bad one could be the difference between a desire to capture and a desire to kill.

I would have thought that this may have been one of the intended uses of the alignment modifiers given if it weren't for EGG's comments on alignment languages in the DMG. He specifically states that public use of an alignment language will always be seen as uncouth, and that members of the speaker's own alignment group will seek to distance themselves, which sounds like a somewhat negative reaction. It seems then, that the use of alignment tongues would not produce the results we see on the reaction tables.

It depends on the DM and how one wants to think about alignment. EGG took the alignment language option of it being used as a secret code for an exclusive club never to be revealed in public. What if those of good alignment were proud to display their affiliation openly?

I read the modifiers found under the heading "Special Considerations" as covering these types of situations. If the creature encountered is meant to be thought of as a henchman of the character speaking for the purpose of the check, then these modifiers would apply if say the creature witnesses the character killing or torturing one of its companions, or if the character offers to raise one of the creature's companions from the dead. Thus the character's behavior or the content of the speech of the character are considered as triggering the reaction in these cases, as opposed to the character's alignment.

The "special considerations" table is meant to be used as a modifier to the base loyalty of an employed henchman and not an adjustment to a reaction roll per se. Loyalty base modifiers are more for behavior that the henchman observes over time. Reaction modifiers are the kinds of things that are applicable only in the moment. I generally don't use reaction rolls beyond the first meeting. After the initial reaction is established, any further relationship that develops will be based on what is actually said and done and the personality and traits of the NPC/monster in question.

I had a feeling that there were many gaming groups that used alignment this way. I've encountered a couple of old Dragon articles which suggested such an approach, while at the same time I've read at least one which suggested that creatures would react to alignment without external markers, so I wanted to find out where various people stood on this. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Remove ads