Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: The ranger, revised... overcompensation?

dagger

Adventurer
Our next campaign will have no multiclassing unless its a special event during normal game play, so 1 level dips will not be an issue.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Really like the idea of moving the communicate with beasts over to beast conclave. It makes up for their loss of the more utility type animals from the original and fits thematically. If a hunter wants to do the same thing, they can take the spells for it.
Strongly disagree. Really strongly. I'll definitely houserule it back if they end up doing that. It should absolutely be a core ranger ability, not a conclave ability. At my table, it was as a houserule from the start.

OB1

Jedi Master
Strongly disagree. Really strongly. I'll definitely houserule it back if they end up doing that. It should absolutely be a core ranger ability, not a conclave ability. At my table, it was as a houserule from the start.
[MENTION=6704184]doctorbadwolf[/MENTION] - Not saying you shouldn't do as you wish at your table, but curious why you feel so strongly about this. The hunter can still access the ability through spell selection if they feel it's important. I think this makes for one of those great 5e choice moments where a player has to debate about what they really want from their character because neither choice gives them everything they want.

phantomK9

Explorer
If the combat related features of Natural Explorer move elsewhere than the Scout no longer gets them. The Scout is designed to get those.

Well no. If the combat abilities of Natural Explorer moved to be within Primeval Awareness then all rangers would still have access to them no matter the "conclave" they chose. Primeval Awareness is a core Ranger ability.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@doctorbadwolf - Not saying you shouldn't do as you wish at your table, but curious why you feel so strongly about this. The hunter can still access the ability through spell selection if they feel it's important. I think this makes for one of those great 5e choice moments where a player has to debate about what they really want from their character because neither choice gives them everything they want.

Well, there are a few factors.
One, the ranger spells known is a very limited resource.
Two, the feature feels, to me, like a basic part of the fantasy ranger concept, just like being superbly good at not getting lost.
Third, I want the main subclass concepts to have some minor representation in the base class. The Hunter is an extreme focus on what Favored Enemy represents, Beast Master is an extreme focus on the animal handler aspect of the ranger (represented by skills, spells, and this feature), and Stalker is an extreme focus on the stealthy black ops skill set that lives in the ranger. I like that.
lastly, like I said, Rangers can communicate with animals better than others at my tables, regardless. And it isn't magical, it's just highly focused skill. They are like the horse whisperer, but better, and for all animals. It just feels like a basic thing that any ranger should be able to do, without casting a spell.
Lastly lastly, it's been part of the ranger for a long time. Previously it was a special ability to calm animals x/day. This time, it's a passive ability, that can be augmented with magic. That works for me.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Well no. If the combat abilities of Natural Explorer moved to be within Primeval Awareness then all rangers would still have access to them no matter the "conclave" they chose. Primeval Awareness is a core Ranger ability.
The Scout is a Fighter archetype from Kits of Old. Mearls indicates that the Scout is supposed to have the new Ranger Natural Explorer.

@bedirthan yes

Sacrosanct

Legend
[MENTION=6704184]doctorbadwolf[/MENTION] - Not saying you shouldn't do as you wish at your table, but curious why you feel so strongly about this. The hunter can still access the ability through spell selection if they feel it's important. I think this makes for one of those great 5e choice moments where a player has to debate about what they really want from their character because neither choice gives them everything they want.

Especially if you acknowledge ranger archetypes that don't have animal communication as a default ability. Like a hunter, or underground tracker, etc.

Personally, I like the approach of "Rather than force this ability on everyone, even if it doesn't fit their theme, here is a way to get it if you do want it." I get how DrBadwolf wants that with every ranger, but not every table has the same feeling. So why force it onto everyone? The option is there if you want it, but it shouldn't be a hard coded ability for all rangers because there are plenty of tables who have ranger archetypes that have nothing to do with communicating with animals.

phantomK9

Explorer
The Scout is a Fighter archetype from Kits of Old. Mearls indicates that the Scout is supposed to have the new Ranger Natural Explorer.

@bedirthan yes

Ah I see. Interesting. Hadn't really thought about other classes as this was supposed to be a Ranger discussion.
At any rate, the Scout would probably have to go through several changes as well because the Natural Explore trait gained at 3rd level mentions Favored Terrain.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
There is no longer Favored Terrain. The Scout uses the Ranger Revised (UA's 3rd Ranger) Natural Explorer, but gains it at 3rd level rather than first.

OB1

Jedi Master
Especially if you acknowledge ranger archetypes that don't have animal communication as a default ability. Like a hunter, or underground tracker, etc.

Personally, I like the approach of "Rather than force this ability on everyone, even if it doesn't fit their theme, here is a way to get it if you do want it." I get how DrBadwolf wants that with every ranger, but not every table has the same feeling. So why force it onto everyone? The option is there if you want it, but it shouldn't be a hard coded ability for all rangers because there are plenty of tables who have ranger archetypes that have nothing to do with communicating with animals.

That's my thought exactly. And it's not gamebreaking to houserule as doctorbadwolf suggested, but it's much easier to give something to players via houserule than to take it away.

Remove ads