New warlock invocations

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Hey guys,

just posting new invocations for the warlock (mostly converted from the 3.5). I'd like it if you could take a look and see if there's anything aberrant :p. Thanks.

version 3

Baleful Utterance You can speak Abyssal, Infernal, Sylvan and Celestial. As an action, you can destroy an unattended, non-magical object weighting 2 lbs or less within 15 feet instantly.
Beshadowed Blast (Requires Eldritch Blast, Warlock level 9) Once per turn, one creature hit by a blast is unable to see beyond 15 feet away until the start of your next turn.
Breath of Night (Requires Warlock level 5) You can cast Fog Cloud at-will.
Brimstone Blast (Requires Eldritch Blast) You can change the force damage from your Eldritch Blast to fire damage. If you do so, the damage increases to 1d12+Charisma modifier. This features does not stack with damage bonus from Agonizing Blast.
Eldritch Chain (Requires Eldritch Blast, Warlock level 7) When you roll a critical hit with Eldritch Blast, you can deal the spell damage to another creature within 15 feet of the initial target.
Eldritch Line (Require Eldritch Blast, Warlock level 9) As an action, a line 30 feet long and 10 feet wide blasts out from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 2d10 force damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The line still benefits from the effects of other invocations if the saving throw is failed..
Eldritch Doom (Requires Eldritch Blast, Warlock level 15) As an action, you can cast Eldritch Blast targeting all creatures in a 10 feet radius sphere within 60 feet. All creatures in the sphere must succeed at a Dexterity saving throw or take 4d10 force damage. The sphere still benefits from the effects of other invocations if the saving throw is failed.
Flee the Scene (Requires Warlock level 7)
You can cast Mislead and Misty Step as part of the same action once per long rest without expending a spell slot.
Hellrime Blast (Requires Eldritch Blast)
Your Eldritch Blast deals cold damage instead of force damage. Once per turn, one creature hit by a blast can't take reactions until the start of its next turn.
Hideous Blow (Requires Eldritch Blast)
You can cast Eldritch Blast as a melee spell attack.
Ignore the Pyre (Requires Warlock level 7)
As an action, you can grant yourself resistance to Fire, Cold, Acid or Necrotic damage until your next rest. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you take a short rest.
Miasmic Cloud (Requires Warlock level 15) You can cast Cloudkill and Stinking Cloud as part of the same action without using a spellslot. You are considered as concentrating on both of them at the same time and a failed concentration check lose both spells. You can use this feature again until you take a long rest.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Lots of fun!

Some comments below. If I don't say anything, it's because it's great as it is now.

Baleful Utterance You can speak your choice of Abyssal, Infernal, Sylvan or Celestial. As an action, you can destroy an object weighting 2 lbs or less instantly.

I'm make it an unattended, non-magical object. Just to prevent abuses. "I destroy the straps holding his armor" or "I destroy the cursed dagger".

Brimstone Blast (Requires Eldritch Blast) You can change the force damage from your Eldritch Blast to fire damage.

While I'm sure there are times this is best, in general Fire has a lot more resistances and immunities. So I'd be tempted to give a bit more for this one. Maybe all cantrips may do fire damage, but that's pretty wasted if you have EB. Something else thematic, even if just a ribbon ability.

The one below about cold damage I have the same comment on.

Eldritch Chain (Requires Eldritch Blast, Warlock level 7) When you roll a critical hit with Eldritch Blast, you can deal the spell damage to another creature within 15 feet of the initial target.
This is interesting - it doesn't come up much, but every crit basically goes from roughly x2 damage to roughly x4 damage. Not unbalanced because of how infrequently crits come up plus it's not focus fire.

Eldritch Line (Require Eldritch Blast, Warlock level 9) As an action, you form a line 30 feet long and 10 feet wide blasts out from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 2d10 force damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

2d10 at 9th level isn't all that great, even if it is an at-will AOE. Perhaps you can add any invocations that affect your EB (except range). So it could push, get CHR to damage, etc.

Eldritch Doom (Requires Eldritch Blast, Warlock level 15) As an action, you can cast Eldritch Blast targeting all creatures in a 15 feet radius sphere. All creatures is the sphere must succeed at a Dexterity saving throw or take 4d10 force damage.
I know I said I wasn't going to comment if it was fine, but this one isn't fine - it's great!

Yes, it's a large at-will AOE. But it's centered on self and 15th level, it's fine.

Ignore the Pyre
As an action, you can grant yourself resistance to Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning or Necrotic damage. If you use this features again, you can choose another damage type.

There's a lot of out-of-combat usage for this, when the action cost isn't a big deal. Perhaps make it once per short rest?

Right now this is the "I always have some type of resistance up, and I can get it at 2nd level. Very cherry-pickable. Not sure if the right solution is a short duration (10 minutes?), raising the level, or something else.

Oh, and I think a rules lawyer could argue that using it again just picks a different type in addition, instead of replacing. If you want to tighten up the language.

Tales and Chronicles

Good suggestions. I'll work a bit on the wording for some; the original document will be in french but I'd prefer if it was close enough to the PHB language.

Brimstone Blast: How about increasing damage to 1d12 fire damage?

Hellrime Blast: Maybe add a speed reduction of 5 feet?

Eldritch Line: Good ideas, I'll add a line saying that you still apply any effects granted by other invocations.

Eldritch Doom: Oups, would it still be balanced if it was a ranged 15 feet radius blast within 60 feet? That was the original intent, but you seem to think that its balanced by the fact that its self-centered for now. Maybe a 10' radius blast within 60' but add other invocation effect?

Ignore the Pyre: Yup, I think I'll restrict it to the end of a short rest with a lvl 11 requirement.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Baleful Utterance You can speak your choice of Abyssal, Infernal, Sylvan or Celestial. As an action, you can destroy an object weighting 2 lbs or less instantly.

How far does this work? What if the item is magical or made out of a special material? What if it is held or worn by another creature?

As an action, you can grant yourself resistance to Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning or Necrotic damage. If you use this features again, you can choose another damage type.

How long does this last? How many times can you use it per short or long rest?

Most of the invocations posted are incredibly weak.

Tales and Chronicles

How far does this work? What if the item is magical or made out of a special material? What if it is held or worn by another creature?

How long does this last? How many times can you use it per short or long rest?

Most of the invocations posted are incredibly weak.

I've updated the original post with modification based from your and Blue's comment, if you want to check them out.

Baleful Uterrance: now targets non-magical/unattended objects within 15'
Brimstone: deals 1d12 fire
Hellrime: reduce speed by 5'
Ignore de Pyre: get resistance until next rest, can use 1/short rest.
Miasmic Cloud: cast Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill as part of the sam action 1/day.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Breath of Night: I'd make it base level or level 5, not level 11.

Brimstone: Make it also add your Charisma modifier to damage per beam, but it doesn't stack with Agonizing Blast. So you can take Brimstone and do 1d12+Cha fire damage, or take Agonizing Blast and do 1d10+Cha force damage. If you really want options of damage type, you can take both.

Eldritch Chain: So that's an increase of 5% * 15-16 average damage per beam fired, so about 0.8 damage per beam. So a 1.6 DPR increase at 7, 2.4 at 11, and 3.2 at 17, that isn't tied to accuracy. Feels a little low, but it does stack with every other add-on to eldritch blast, so it's probably OK. Downside it that it makes being a hexblade EB caster even better than it already is, which doesn't feel great.

Eldritch Line/Doom: I wouldn't tack too many things onto those, contra to [MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION]'s suggestion (Sorry!). You are turning into an AoE, which means you're turning it into an auto-hit for all of those extra abilities, unless you add text that a successful save means the targets aren't repelled or slowed or any other negative effect. Even the auto at-will damage part is pretty good.

Hellrime: I'd probably repeat my suggestion from Brimstone about making this an option to take instead of Agonizing Blast. This + Repelling Blast + Lance of Lethargy (XgtE) might be too good, but considering Repelling + Lethargy is already a thing, it's probably OK.

Tales and Chronicles

Breath of Night: I'd make it base level or level 5, not level 11.

Brimstone: Make it also add your Charisma modifier to damage per beam, but it doesn't stack with Agonizing Blast. So you can take Brimstone and do 1d12+Cha fire damage, or take Agonizing Blast and do 1d10+Cha force damage. If you really want options of damage type, you can take both.

Eldritch Chain: So that's an increase of 5% * 15-16 average damage per beam fired, so about 0.8 damage per beam. So a 1.6 DPR increase at 7, 2.4 at 11, and 3.2 at 17, that isn't tied to accuracy. Feels a little low, but it does stack with every other add-on to eldritch blast, so it's probably OK. Downside it that it makes being a hexblade EB caster even better than it already is, which doesn't feel great.

Eldritch Line/Doom: I wouldn't tack too many things onto those, contra to @Blue's suggestion (Sorry!). You are turning into an AoE, which means you're turning it into an auto-hit for all of those extra abilities, unless you add text that a successful save means the targets aren't repelled or slowed or any other negative effect. Even the auto at-will damage part is pretty good.

Hellrime: I'd probably repeat my suggestion from Brimstone about making this an option to take instead of Agonizing Blast. This + Repelling Blast + Lance of Lethargy (XgtE) might be too good, but considering Repelling + Lethargy is already a thing, it's probably OK.

Breath of Night: Will do! Thanks.

Brimstone: Does it mean you think that 1d12 is still too weak to justify changing force for fire? Would 2d6 be better? I'm really sorry but I cant do math, so sometime I have a hard time making balanced stuff. Also my players wouldnt be able to optimize a character if their lives depended on it, so many OP elements just doesnt appear in my games, which is a bad thing for playtesting. I'm thinking since fire my benefit from Elemental Adept and Tiefling racial feat that gives a bonus to fire spells, 1d12 is still a good option.

Hellrime: I think it would be a good combo but it requires many invocations and only work on one creature at the time. Will have to see in play for this one. I think I'll change the speed reduction to a once/turn loss of reaction.

E.Line/Doom: ooohh, you're right, I'll need a line saying that on a save the effects doest not occur.

TwoSix

Brimstone: Does it mean you think that 1d12 is still too weak to justify changing force for fire? Would 2d6 be better? I'm really sorry but I cant do math, so sometime I have a hard time making balanced stuff. Also my players wouldnt be able to optimize a character if their lives depended on it, so many OP elements just doesnt appear in my games, which is a bad thing for playtesting. I'm thinking since fire my benefit from Elemental Adept and Tiefling racial feat that gives a bonus to fire spells, 1d12 is still a good option.

Boosting damage to 1d12 but doing fire damage is pretty much a neutral trade. So it's really not worth an invocation slot. (Which are rare and precious!) But, if you make it Brimstone do 1d12+Cha, so that you can take it instead of Agonizing Blast (Agonizing Blast is pretty much an automatic pick for a warlock), then you create an interesting new option that isn't any more powerful than what a warlock already has.

TwoSix

Changes look good! If you're feeling really ambitious, you should take a shot converting Eldritch Glaive. :)

Tales and Chronicles

Changes look good! If you're feeling really ambitious, you should take a shot converting Eldritch Glaive. :)

I feel this one would be a cantrip in the line of Green Flame Blade and the like and modify Invocations such a Grasp of Hadar, Lance of Lethargy, Repelling Blast etc to affect Eldritch Glaive.

Something like:

Eldritch Glaive (Warlock)
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round
As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must
make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature
within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.
On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects but
the damage type of the attack is force damage instead of the
normal weapon damage type. At level 5 the attack deals an extra
1d8 force damage, and add another 1d8 on a hit a level 11 and 17.

Remove ads