How do YOU handle a Fastball Special, and other team manuevers?

I

Immortal Sun

This, I think, is completely off base.

Wanting to do it because it's cool isn't incompatible or contrary to gaining an advantage from it. Successfully doing cool things should have a benefit.

It's not shenanigans, at all.

It's not incompatible, but there's a point where they diverge.

Especially if you're operating under a "Rule of Cool" or "Try Anything Once", the players should be approaching you with ideas that sound cool, look cool, but may not produce optimal results. If you're optimizing, you're angling towards what is most effective and efficient first, and what seems really cool second. Heck take a look at the CharOp boards, some of those builds are really cool but their primary purpose is optimization.

It's just odd to me that Hawk seems to have this idea that somehow the Fastball Special would be both cost-effective and powerful. Neither of the party members are supers. Colossus has super strength. Not like, a 22, but like, a 200. Wolverine has heightened agility, strength and adamantium claws. That's like, a lot of damage. Some Gnome Rogue or a Tiefling Monk and the strong-man throwing them well...don't.

It's not really. It's cool but inefficient unless there's some kind of terrain obstacle preventing you from charging or something else covered by the rules that allow you to move a large distance really fast and do some extra damage. And even then it's really only about as effective as flying over the terrain obstacle.

This is just my experience talking: but when players ask to do things outside of the rules, there are one of 3 typical reasons:
1: They want to do something cool with little concern of the results.
-I tend to be more generous with these folks. I know my players, I know when it's cool, I know when it's gaming. I tell them to roll, they don't question or quibble, they just do it.
2: They are trying to come up with a creative solution to a unique problem.
-These situations are rare and are mostly produced by players overthinking the problem.
3: They are trying to game the system.
-Again, I know my players, I know when folks are trying to gain an advantage without paying for it. I tend to be stricter with these people. They argue with me. They attempt to rules-lawyer the situation. They question why they need to make XYZ roll.

If I tell Cool Guy 1 that it's 17 Acrobatics checks all DC 9000+ they'll roll them no matter what.
If I tell Powergamer 3 that it's one DC 10 Acrobatics check, they'll argue that it ought to be a different check they're better at and be a bonus action so they still get all their attacks and maintain their movement and only a DC 5.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Especially if you're operating under a "Rule of Cool" or "Try Anything Once", the players should be approaching you with ideas that sound cool, look cool, but may not produce optimal results. If you're optimizing, you're angling towards what is most effective and efficient first, and what seems really cool second. Heck take a look at the CharOp boards, some of those builds are really cool but their primary purpose is optimization.

It's just odd to me that Hawk seems to have this idea that somehow the Fastball Special would be both cost-effective and powerful. Neither of the party members are supers. Colossus has super strength. Not like, a 22, but like, a 200. Wolverine has heightened agility, strength and adamantium claws. That's like, a lot of damage. Some Gnome Rogue or a Tiefling Monk and the strong-man throwing them well...don't.

It's not really. It's cool but inefficient unless there's some kind of terrain obstacle preventing you from charging or something else covered by the rules that allow you to move a large distance really fast and do some extra damage. And even then it's really only about as effective as flying over the terrain obstacle.

This is just my experience talking: but when players ask to do things outside of the rules, there are one of 3 typical reasons:
-I tend to be more generous with these folks. I know my players, I know when it's cool, I know when it's gaming. I tell them to roll, they don't question or quibble, they just do it.
-These situations are rare and are mostly produced by players overthinking the problem.
-Again, I know my players, I know when folks are trying to gain an advantage without paying for it. I tend to be stricter with these people. They argue with me. They attempt to rules-lawyer the situation. They question why they need to make XYZ roll.

If I tell Cool Guy 1 that it's 17 Acrobatics checks all DC 9000+ they'll roll them no matter what.
If I tell Powergamer 3 that it's one DC 10 Acrobatics check, they'll argue that it ought to be a different check they're better at and be a bonus action so they still get all their attacks and maintain their movement and only a DC 5.

I’m sorry that you’ve had dinguses for players in the past. I hope it’s past tense, at least.

Either way, I find that telling the power gamer no when they try to lawyer lends better results than restricting what is generally possible in order to curb the power gamer.

But beyond that, why wouldn’t doing cool stuff yield an advantage? Why wouldn’t it be worth doing for more than “lol and then I do a flip” lawls?

Idk. There is something very fundamental in how you view the game that I just can’t grok, I suspect. Which is fine, I just want to understand it, if possible.

Question. Have you had players who want to get an advantage (maximize efficacy while limiting cost, or whatever) who don’t rules lawyer at you or try to argue with you about the mechanics? Bc if not, this may be primarily a difference in the sort of players I’ve had vs the ones you’ve had.

IME, wanting to actually benefit from doing Cool Things, known in some circles as That Patrick Rothfuss BS”, and being immersed in the story, and not being inclined to argue or lawyer at the DM, are all things that coincide in the same players. Folks want to do cool stuff, and be effective mechanically, often because the cool stuff feels like an illusion at best if it doesn’t accomplish anything. It’s like saying “I want to be an excellent swordsman and acrobat” and the DM doesn’t let you actually be effective at those things, but assures you that you’re still “narratively” an awesome Swashbuckler. No. That’s false, even in the context of make believe. You aren’t an awesome Swashbuckler, you’re a clumsy oaf and everyone at the table knows it.

The mechanics and “material” results of actions matter.

I

Immortal Sun

Reasonable. Yet this is also a distance that most characters can already move at. So unless you're launching the person being thrown over an obstacle or over a chasm, this distance isn't likely to be enticing.
Not terribly concerned if the distance is exciting or not. One human (even a 20 STR strong-man) throwing another human being 30ft is complete absurdity on it's face in 5E in my book, throwing any further than that is the sort of insanity that belongs in places like 3.5 or a supers game.

Is it the thrower's action, or the throwee's action?
It is an attack made by the Thrower as part of their Attack Action. Hence when I said "it's an attack".

Or is it the throwee's action, and the thrower's reaction? Or is it just the throwee doing all the rolling?
The Throwee must make a check as a result of the Thrower's action. Nothing more, nothing less.
The latter portion of the question was answered twice.

See, you believe it to be implied, but there are many ways that it can be interpreted without clarity regarding which is "right" or "expected."
Aside from the distance issue, there is no interpretation issue except where you are creating one.
Step 1: Can you lift the Throwee? If yes, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: The Thrower makes an attack roll against the target.
Step 3: The Throwee makes an acrobatics check as a result of the attack to put their pointy end first. Then the Throwee deals damage based on weapons...size...etc...depending on the specifics of the situation.
*situational notes: If the Thrower misses, the Throwee lands near the target but doesn't hit it and does no damage.
**If the Throwee fails their save they deal improvised weapon damage.

There is no interpretation issue.

I'm sorry, but please don't assume my motivations or reasons. Most often, I am actually the DM. With the player's consent, I AM the system. I am the rules adjudicator, I am every NPC and villain, and I am the world. I have nothing to gain by "gaming the system."
Sorry, it was a general "you" as it sounded just like all the powergamers I've ever played with who always tried to wiggle around the rules to get something for nothing.

Also, we have very different ideas of what is "cool," or "epic." D&D is not just about storytelling. It is also a game. Thus, for something to be cool or epic, it not only needs to satisfy the storytelling aspect, but also the game aspect. Hence, some success a player has that is "cool" or "epic" is also effective at achieving a desired result. If I am playing as a monk, I can say I run 30' to my target and attack. Or I can describe my monk leaping that distance in a single bound, unleashing a flurry of strikes targeting the soft spots and vulnerable joints of my enemy, making them wail in agony against my assault. Notice that effectively and mechanically, there is literally no difference between these two turns, except for how they are described. But describing every mundane, normal turn in these terms makes these cool actions common place and boring. While I am certainly practicing as a wordsmith, these are not the things that will be remembered. However, using creative problem-solving to attempt something risky, that is "cool" and "epic." Even failing such attempts can be "cool," "epic," or lead to the stories that players and DM alike will remember and retell for years to come. The ordinary actions and tactics that get used over and over again are not what make things memorable.
True, but as I point out to [MENTION=6704184]doctorbadwolf[/MENTION] the response of the player to the DM laying out how things are going to happen determines which the player is putting priority into. Are they looking to gain power with little effort, or are they looking to do something potentially awesome regardless of the outcome? Where is their game priority?

As I said, I've played with powergamers before, heck I generally consider myself one. It gets tedious after a while. Are we here to have fun and do neat things regardless of how we have to do them, or are we here to argue about rules and rulings? I'm a strict DM because over the years I've lost patience for the latter. Someone wants to do something "cool" but wants to argue about the ruling then they can either choose not to do it or toss off.

So yes, we are in agreement that there should be a cost to pulling off crazy, "epic" maneuvers. There should be risk. But the reward should be commensurate with what is spent, and what is risked. If two players have to use their action, then the potential reward should be at least what the two characters could have done separately with their actions. If additional resources are required, such as specific spells, then the potential reward should be even greater. If there is a risk of catastrophic failure, such as not making it across that ravine you are being tossed over, or needing multiple checks to determine the degree of success of failure, than the reward should match what is put in.
Well, in the example I gave there wasn't much cost (an attack) and a check. So the results reflect that. Heck, the Throwee still has their whole turn...after they land.

But it may encourage them to double down and make new suggestions and creative problem-solving that could possible address my initial concerns. To me, that isn't "gaming the system," but rather being thoughtful about the possibilities achievable within the system given certain, possibly scenario specific, conditions and constraints.
And I suppose I just don't see the players re-enacting the Gimli toss or the Fastball Special to be very creative. It's not "my character wants to try something unique just to them!" It's "I want to do this thing I saw on TV!" which to me is sort of the opposite of creativity.

Ok. Once again, I will point to abilities, spells, and items that would make this tactic more feasible and also limited. Characters with Powerful Build, Enlarge, Reduce, Bear's Strength, Rage, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Potions of Giant's Strength, Gust of Wind, Jump... there are so many things that already exist in D&D that contribute to parts of this maneuver being possible. How is a fastball special not within the power level of 5e?
Again, I addressed this further down. It's all covered by the simple rules I detailed and the rules already existing in D&D. Size increases increase carrying capacity. More strength increases carrying capacity and makes it easier to hit a target. 5E is about simplicity. Throwing other people as a means of attack just...doesn't strike me as within 5E's intended realm. It seems to be steering away from the zany fantasy, of which "throwing people as an attack" is.

This is absolutely fair, and please I hope that you do not take my comments as a personal attack or stating that you "aren't playing D&D right." If you have take what I've said in that way, my apologies. As I reread your original post, I think I reacted more emotionally to your post without reading it through carefully. Certain elements struck a chord with me, such as the idea of "punishing" players through dice. I think this triggered thoughts of previous experiences I've had where a DM allowed me to attempt something, only to nerf my success to the point that it was effectively a failure even though I technically succeeded based on the parameters I was given. In my experience, this approach is frustrating to players, and if a DM feels strongly enough that something doesn't fit in the game or make sense, it would be better to state as much and be upfront with the players, rather than to present yourself as being ok with the player-directed course of action while functionally making it impossible. So, my apologies for getting fired up and misdirecting that energy at you. That wasn't my intention.
I will always lay out the "rules" of how something will work before the players attempt it. Thrower needs to make an attack, don't Nat 1. Throwee needs to make a check, don't Nat 1. Then Throwee gets to deal damage appropriate to whatever the specific details of the situation are. Probably weapon + strength in most situations.

But I think you misunderstand me. When I say difficulty, I don't mean that the action or attempt is hard. I mean that reward should be commensurate with what the players invested, as well as the possible consequences of failure. If two or more players invest their actions or even whole turn for something, then the possible outcome should be at least equal to what those players could have achieved individually, so long as it makes sense and is reasonable for the desired outcome. Additional resources such as spells, use of class/race abilities, or consumable items should also be taken into consideration.
Which is why I kept it simple and not resource intensive. I can't really stop players from investing more into it, but these resources already have specific effects. I'm not going to give them bonus effects just because they decided to use them in this situation. That just promotes the idea that players can get extra stuff when they do crazy things.

And I'm really trying not to promote crazy things.

What if my group doesn't bother with encumbrance or typically need rules regarding what a light load is?
Well, the default carrying capacity rules in 5E are 15xStr. Certainly more room than I allowed. But the rules are also more precise, you just can't carry more than that. It's a hard cutoff. So at 20 Str that's 300lbs. Certainly enough to toss the average character. My rules above still work. You just have a larger range to work with. Halfling McScrawnyarms still won't be throwing Big Bill, but Big Bill might be able to toss several halflings.

Maybe for you. But clearly we see and value different things. What sounds like noise to you is a beautiful melody to me (Get off my lawn! These crazy kids with that noise and mumble rap. That's not music!)
5E is in large part, elegant in its simplicity. I try to design rulings to echo that. It's not perfect, but I'd rather have one rule that covers 90% of situations than attempt to design for corner cases.

Sure. And that's your style and it works for you. But that doesn't mean the tool is not available to you should you need it. A DM that is open with their players and discusses concerns about the game openly is going to ultimately engage in a more cooperative, cohesive game that evolves towards the best possible game experience.
I am open with my players. I'm up-front with the fact that I start out strict and open things up as I get a feel for how the players like to play. Am I playing a game with a bunch of reasonable sound-minded fellows or a bunch of rules-lawyering murder-hobos? One of these groups will get more leeway than the other, and it's not the second group.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer

You talk as if optimization is a bad thing? In my experience, players want to both play and interesting character AND be effective at what they do. Optimization is not a four-letter word (LITERALLY! :p ). There is room for both story and optimization. Especially since D&D is not just about a story or creating challenges, but it's also a game. As a game, why is it bad to feel like you can "win" at certain things?

Believe me. I am aware of the powers and abilities Colossus and Wolverine possess. I've been reading comics longer than I've played D&D. But I'm not suggesting that a D&D player be able to throw a person hundreds of feat, or that the person being thrown deals 20d12 damage. In a game where wizards can throw blasts of fire like bombs, clerics can directly talk to gods, fighters (regardless of strength) can swing a 10lb maul with decent accuracy and deadly force once every 2 seconds (at level 11) indefinitely without ANY rest at all, where sorcerers can fly, and druids can turn into polar bears and summon creatures to their aid, monks can channel ki energy into stunning strikes... why, in this context, does a man throwing another man seem so implausible? Why is THIS the line you choose? The hill you decided to die on?

I don't think anyone is stating that a fastball special is going to always be the ideal, best strategy. In all the comics where Wolverine and Colossus fight together, they only use it a handful of times, and only when it makes sense and would provide some kind of advantage. But also, because the writers and artists thought the concept was cool. It was a creative, unexpected solution to a problem that the bad guy challenging them likely did not account for. Why deny players similar ability to develop their own creative solutions using their tools in creative, unexpected ways? Do we as DM's have to telegraph the only black and white solution for the challenges we put in our players' paths?

Sounds like you have had players make the game less fun not just for you, but for the other players at the table through arguing. That sucks. And I think that perhaps, they have skewed you to be more protective of your game.

Sounds like you are intentionally making the guy that is actually playing the game in the way you enjoy waste their action. Just because something is cool or fun shouldn't make it unreasonably difficult (unless it just doesn't make sense in the context of the scenario or challenge). And also, sounds like the guy that accepts this doesn't really care about the outcome, which may be a different problem.

This is the player that I would say "I've told you what you need to do if you want to attempt this course of action. If you are unhappy with it, we can discuss it after the game." Then I would not even acknowledge further attempts to slow down the game. At least, that is how I would handle it if I had experience with this player and that was how they argued. If they maybe highlighted specific abilities, resources, or active spells that made sense to affect the outcome I hadn't considered, that's different. But what you describe sounds like whining. Which I consider to be different than playing a game or wanting to have all factors considered when making a ruling.

EDIT:

And I suppose I just don't see the players re-enacting the Gimli toss or the Fastball Special to be very creative. It's not "my character wants to try something unique just to them!" It's "I want to do this thing I saw on TV!" which to me is sort of the opposite of creativity.

Why is that a bad thing? What if I want to play a barbarian because I'm really into Conan? Or a wizard because Harry Potter is just the coolest? Fantasy, be it books, movies, TV, video games, or comics, inspires us! Fantasy, and Fantasy RPGs in particular, give us a chance to escape and live through those really cool moments that maybe even got us into D&D in the first place. So sure, a player that wants to use the fastball special didn't invent it, so maybe that's not technically creative. But they want to experience what it's like to do, even if in a small way via D&D. And it might be creative, because they have an interesting way to set up the ability using their resources to make it more feasible. Why is that a bad thing?

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Yeah I’ve had exactly one player who whines like that example about rulings that didn’t go his way, and we booted him from the group.

I’d never extrapolate general rulings from the bad behavior of some players.

I

Immortal Sun

I’m sorry that you’ve had dinguses for players in the past. I hope it’s past tense, at least.
Sadly, not entirely. I'm originally an MTG player. I get a lot of players coming over from that. We're math-nerds by nature. Much of D&D is just numbers and rules to us. But I am working on it. Training players to overlay their numbers with a healthy layer of role play takes time.

Either way, I find that telling the power gamer no when they try to lawyer lends better results than restricting what is generally possible in order to curb the power gamer.
For me, the issue there becomes I don't like to play favorites. Why tell the Powergamer no when I tell Timmy yes?

But beyond that, why wouldn’t doing cool stuff yield an advantage? Why wouldn’t it be worth doing for more than “lol and then I do a flip” lawls?
The "advantage" in my mind is that you created a memorable moment that people will go home talking about, instead of talking about how much damage you did.
"And then the Dm called for an Acrobatics check and Bob crit! So Mr Monk did a triple-backflip before planting his foot in the Ogre's face!"
*Yeah sure it only did 1d6+str but that's not what I want people to be talking about.

Idk. There is something very fundamental in how you view the game that I just can’t grok, I suspect. Which is fine, I just want to understand it, if possible.

Question. Have you had players who want to get an advantage (maximize efficacy while limiting cost, or whatever) who don’t rules lawyer at you or try to argue with you about the mechanics? Bc if not, this may be primarily a difference in the sort of players I’ve had vs the ones you’ve had.
Not really. The players who want to see Big Bill throw Timmy TwoShanks do it because they think the idea of such a thing happening would be totally awesome. Results are secondary. The players who want to gain advantages will tend to pass up really cool ideas because it doesn't net them a double damage bonus or something.

The players who don't rules-lawyer IME aren't concerned with the costs or the bonuses. They want to create those memorable moments of "doing a double kick-flip and punching the Giant in the eye".

IME, wanting to actually benefit from doing Cool Things, known in some circles as That Patrick Rothfuss BS”, and being immersed in the story, and not being inclined to argue or lawyer at the DM, are all things that coincide in the same players. Folks want to do cool stuff, and be effective mechanically, often because the cool stuff feels like an illusion at best if it doesn’t accomplish anything. It’s like saying “I want to be an excellent swordsman and acrobat” and the DM doesn’t let you actually be effective at those things, but assures you that you’re still “narratively” an awesome Swashbuckler. No. That’s false, even in the context of make believe. You aren’t an awesome Swashbuckler, you’re a clumsy oaf and everyone at the table knows it.

The mechanics and “material” results of actions matter.
I suppose. I just feel like there are other benefits that D&D(and RPGs in general) can produce that games like MTG can't. Specifically: awesome story. Which is one of the reasons I play RPGs.\

doctorbadwolf

Sadly, not entirely. I'm originally an MTG player. I get a lot of players coming over from that. We're math-nerds by nature. Much of D&D is just numbers and rules to us. But I am working on it. Training players to overlay their numbers with a healthy layer of role play takes time.
For me, the issue there becomes I don't like to play favorites. Why tell the Powergamer no when I tell Timmy yes?
I communicated poorly. What I meant was, when the power gamer engages in the bad behavior after being told the exact same thing that the other player would have been told, I’d just tell them “no. We aren’t playing that way. This ain’t MtG, it’s a game where we tell stories together.” And then move on.

The ruling is the same either way.

The "advantage" in my mind is that you created a memorable moment that people will go home talking about, instead of talking about how much damage you did.
"And then the Dm called for an Acrobatics check and Bob crit! So Mr Monk did a triple-backflip before planting his foot in the Ogre's face!"
*Yeah sure it only did 1d6+str but that's not what I want people to be talking about.
Not really. The players who want to see Big Bill throw Timmy TwoShanks do it because they think the idea of such a thing happening would be totally awesome. Results are secondary. The players who want to gain advantages will tend to pass up really cool ideas because it doesn't net them a double damage bonus or something.

The players who don't rules-lawyer IME aren't concerned with the costs or the bonuses. They want to create those memorable moments of "doing a double kick-flip and punching the Giant in the eye".
Yeah, it’s a different player’s thing. No player I’ve ever been at a table with is super stoked about how he flavored his attack that did literally nothing different from walking up and poking the monster. The actual results are part of the story.

I suppose. I just feel like there are other benefits that D&D(and RPGs in general) can produce that games like MTG can't. Specifically: awesome story. Which is one of the reasons I play RPGs.\
You again say it as if there is some divergence between awesome story and mechanical efficacy. A character isn’t good at something if the mechanics don’t back it up (barring stuff that isn’t mechanically covered), and walking up to the monster and punching it isn’t the same as launching at it from a catapult to double heel kick it in the face, and shouldn’t have the same mechanical expression.

I

Immortal Sun

You talk as if optimization is a bad thing? In my experience, players want to both play and interesting character AND be effective at what they do. Optimization is not a four-letter word (LITERALLY! :p ). There is room for both story and optimization. Especially since D&D is not just about a story or creating challenges, but it's also a game. As a game, why is it bad to feel like you can "win" at certain things?
I tend to find there's a strong level of diminishing returns on optimization. Eking out that 1 average DPR is to me, more trouble than it's worth. There's nothing wrong with building to success at your character's intended abilities.

And I never said it's bad to feel like you can win at certain things.

But people who focus on "winning" often focus on themselves and D&D is a cooperative game. Some people can shift their priorities to the group "winning", but doing so generally requires the individual to give up individual moments of personal "winning".

Not everyone who likes "winning" can do that. I have a player who has this problem currently. I'm closing in on no longer playing with them because it's just tedious. They can't see beyond their own enjoyment and their own enjoyment always happens when they're winning. It never happens when the group is winning. They're terribly un-fun to play MTG with as well for the same reason.

Believe me. I am aware of the powers and abilities Colossus and Wolverine possess. I've been reading comics longer than I've played D&D. But I'm not suggesting that a D&D player be able to throw a person hundreds of feat, or that the person being thrown deals 20d12 damage. In a game where wizards can throw blasts of fire like bombs, clerics can directly talk to gods, fighters (regardless of strength) can swing a 10lb maul with decent accuracy and deadly force once every 2 seconds (at level 11) indefinitely without ANY rest at all, where sorcerers can fly, and druids can turn into polar bears and summon creatures to their aid, monks can channel ki energy into stunning strikes... why, in this context, does a man throwing another man seem so implausible? Why is THIS the line you choose? The hill you decided to die on?
This is the hill 5E decided to die on.

I liked 4E.

This is the hill WotC decided to die on.

This is the hill endless armies of anti-4E-ers decided to die on.

The hill that says mundane people are boring and magical people control reality.

You want my advice? Play 4E.

I don't think anyone is stating that a fastball special is going to always be the ideal, best strategy. In all the comics where Wolverine and Colossus fight together, they only use it a handful of times, and only when it makes sense and would provide some kind of advantage. But also, because the writers and artists thought the concept was cool. It was a creative, unexpected solution to a problem that the bad guy challenging them likely did not account for. Why deny players similar ability to develop their own creative solutions using their tools in creative, unexpected ways? Do we as DM's have to telegraph the only black and white solution for the challenges we put in our players' paths?
I like rules. I play Calvinball any time I want, but I can only handle it in small doses. Rules make RPGs tolerable in the long term.

Also, this is a long-running resultant issue with trying to translate stories into rules. Can your character kill a man with his thumb? By the RAW? No. Can a character in a book? Absolutely. Can the latter be translated into rules? IME: no.

Sounds like you have had players make the game less fun not just for you, but for the other players at the table through arguing. That sucks. And I think that perhaps, they have skewed you to be more protective of your game.
I'll absolutely agree to that.

Sounds like you are intentionally making the guy that is actually playing the game in the way you enjoy waste their action. Just because something is cool or fun shouldn't make it unreasonably difficult (unless it just doesn't make sense in the context of the scenario or challenge). And also, sounds like the guy that accepts this doesn't really care about the outcome, which may be a different problem.
Hmm, that's an...odd take on things. My ruling is neither unreasonably difficult nor needless complex. I'm not sure how you see this as attempting to waste their action.

You want to do something? That's an Action. Aside from some very minor things, it doesn't really matter what "it" is.

Why is that a bad thing? What if I want to play a barbarian because I'm really into Conan? Or a wizard because Harry Potter is just the coolest? Fantasy, be it books, movies, TV, video games, or comics, inspires us! Fantasy, and Fantasy RPGs in particular, give us a chance to escape and live through those really cool moments that maybe even got us into D&D in the first place. So sure, a player that wants to use the fastball special didn't invent it, so maybe that's not technically creative. But they want to experience what it's like to do, even if in a small way via D&D. And it might be creative, because they have an interesting way to set up the ability using their resources to make it more feasible. Why is that a bad thing?
Playing an X because you're into X can still be creative, because you're not playing Conan, you're playing Nanoc. You're playing YOUR Coanan. I mean, unless you just make a Conan clone, then yeah that's not creative, it's boring. I tend to find people who want to play or do XYZ thing from "outside the game" are often doing it as a joke to make pop-culture references in lieu of making up new and creative things.

Everyone's got to start somewhere. But eventually you should start doing your​ things. Not other people's things.

I

Immortal Sun

I communicated poorly. What I meant was, when the power gamer engages in the bad behavior after being told the exact same thing that the other player would have been told, I’d just tell them “no. We aren’t playing that way. This ain’t MtG, it’s a game where we tell stories together.” And then move on.

The ruling is the same either way.
Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, it’s a different player’s thing. No player I’ve ever been at a table with is super stoked about how he flavored his attack that did literally nothing different from walking up and poking the monster. The actual results are part of the story.

You again say it as if there is some divergence between awesome story and mechanical efficacy. A character isn’t good at something if the mechanics don’t back it up (barring stuff that isn’t mechanically covered), and walking up to the monster and punching it isn’t the same as launching at it from a catapult to double heel kick it in the face, and shouldn’t have the same mechanical expression.
I understand that, I do. But in 5E this difference of expression should be simple and attempt to change as little as possible. Doing a flying spin-kick into the baddie's face may call for an Acrobatics check, or a Jump check. But beyond that, all you have really done is moved and then hit something. Nothing about what you're doing as fundamentally changed, just the way you're describing it.

I DONT think every form of moment and every style of attack needs its own unique mechanical expression. I think good "flavor text" can make worlds of difference between two things that are fundamentally the same.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I tend to find there's a strong level of diminishing returns on optimization. Eking out that 1 average DPR is to me, more trouble than it's worth. There's nothing wrong with building to success at your character's intended abilities.

And I never said it's bad to feel like you can win at certain things.

But people who focus on "winning" often focus on themselves and D&D is a cooperative game. Some people can shift their priorities to the group "winning", but doing so generally requires the individual to give up individual moments of personal "winning".

Not everyone who likes "winning" can do that. I have a player who has this problem currently. I'm closing in on no longer playing with them because it's just tedious. They can't see beyond their own enjoyment and their own enjoyment always happens when they're winning. It never happens when the group is winning. They're terribly un-fun to play MTG with as well for the same reason.

That sounds more like a problem with individual players rather than a problem with optimization. Everyone, I don't care who you are, feels good winning. But you can do that, share the spotlight, and win as a group. Just because these ideas are mutually exclusive for one player does not mean they truly are.

This is the hill 5E decided to die on.

I liked 4E.

This is the hill WotC decided to die on.

This is the hill endless armies of anti-4E-ers decided to die on.

The hill that says mundane people are boring and magical people control reality.

You want my advice? Play 4E.

I think you are conflating how you see 5e with how everyone, or maybe most people, see 5e. That is, just because this is how you view 5e does not mean that it is the only way one can view 5e. Reflavored, 5e can easily turn into a Supers game. Or it can be super gritty. 5e was indeed made to streamline and simplify rules. But the greatest strength of 5e is being intentionally vague using natural language, stressing the importance of DM adjudicating the rules, and allowing room for the DM to make these decisions by NOT having rules for everything. Within that space, there are many ways to interpret or play D&D. And we have examples in this very thread of people who disagree with your take and find that things like the Fastball Special in particular, and throwing people in general, are well within the bounds of 5e. So no, this is not the hill that 5e chooses to die on. This is the hill you have chosen.

Additionally, I have played 4e and hated it. The rules made every class and ability too similar. It felt like it didn't matter if I played a wizard or fighter, they generally did the same things, but with different names. Also, please don't make suggestions to me as if I have an issue with 5e. I don't. I make it work just fine for my needs and enjoyment, as well as the needs of my group. Making that statement that I should try 4e really felt like you were dismissing my playstyle as wrong or unfit for 5e and you are the gatekeeper for what is right and appropriate for 5e, which is a bit insulting. I'm not saying that was your intention, but that is how it sounded. There is no right way to play or enjoy D&D in general, and 5e in particular. And suggesting so is somewhat elitist.

like rules. I play Calvinball any time I want, but I can only handle it in small doses. Rules make RPGs tolerable in the long term.

Nothing wrong with rules. But you seem to see an absence of a specific rule as an indication that it can't or shouldn't be done. Meanwhile, I believe the absence of a specific rule in 5e is instead a purposeful choice to give power to the DM to decide how something should be handled. This is especially true for edge cases of things not likely to come up in typical game scenarios. Unlike previous editions, 5e seems to be purposefully vague and incomplete to give more power to the DM and limit the disruption of rules lawyers.

Also, this is a long-running resultant issue with trying to translate stories into rules. Can your character kill a man with his thumb? By the RAW? No. Can a character in a book? Absolutely. Can the latter be translated into rules? IME: no.

Actually, a player can kill a person with their thumb by RAW. Unarmed strikes are only vaguely described as punches, kicks, or headbutts. But a player can describe their unarmed attack as a strike or pressure of their thumb without changing the mechanics of the attack. And a player can subdue and even kill enemies in this fashion. Even faster if they are a monk or have the tavern brawler feat. Describing the unarmed strike differently doesn't change the mechanics. Just because you can't see how things might be achieved mechanically doesnt mean one of your players couldn't find a creative and appropriate solution.

Hmm, that's an...odd take on things. My ruling is neither unreasonably difficult nor needless complex. I'm not sure how you see this as attempting to waste their action.

If you set a DC 9000 or some other unreasonable or impossible difficulty, then the player making the attempt knowing this is not trying to help the group overcome the challenge. Which, I thought you said was important for the group to come together and cooperate towards common goals. But if a player is trying things that are "cool" but not doing much or even worsening the party's chances of achieving victory by not taking a more typical course of action, then they are just as much selfishly stealing the spotlight as the min-maxers you seem to dislike so much.

Additionally, whether intentional or not, you are conditioning players to solve problems and overcome challenges by only using their tools in traditional, accepted, and well defined ways. You are limiting opportunities for creative problem-solving and reinforcing that players only use their skills and abilities strictly by raw. This reduces player's ability to think critically about what their powers or abilities are intended for, or what they could achieve in a grounded, living world that is not always easily defined or definable mechanically.

You want to do something? That's an Action. Aside from some very minor things, it doesn't really matter what "it" is.

My issue is not with whether something is an action, bonus action, move action, or whatever. My issue is if someone uses their action for something reasonable given the context, then it should have some reasonable chance of success. Action economy is a factor, but so is resource expenditure, the context of the scene, and the parameters of risk.

Playing an X because you're into X can still be creative, because you're not playing Conan, you're playing Nanoc. You're playing YOUR Coanan. I mean, unless you just make a Conan clone, then yeah that's not creative, it's boring. I tend to find people who want to play or do XYZ thing from "outside the game" are often doing it as a joke to make pop-culture references in lieu of making up new and creative things.

Everyone's got to start somewhere. But eventually you should start doing your​ things. Not other people's things.

And whose to say someone trying a Fastball Special (as an example) and working out how to achieve this feat won't lead a player to be creative in other ways that will be their own? The Fastball special can be a literal and figurative jumping off point. Attempting it requires not just an understanding of the rules, but extending those rules by taking into account the context of the scenario, challenge, resources available, and the RAI and RAF which are equally important as RAW.

Last edited:

Remove ads