Tales From The Yawning Portal - 7 Classic Dungeons Updated To 5E!

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

C1bHoHNVQAE-3qx.jpg-large.jpg

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures.

Within this tome are seven of the deadliest dungeons from the history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others are newer creations, boldly staking a claim to their place in the pantheon of notable adventures.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s deadliest dungeons are now part of your arsenal of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

Find it on WotC's site here. Forbes has an interview about it here. Mearls says "We're announcing a new D&D product, a book coming out this spring. It is called Tales from the Yawning Portal(out March 24th in local game stores and April 4th everywhere else) It's a collection of seven of the most famous dungeons from Dungeons & Dragons history. They're all collected in one hardcover book. The idea behind it is not only do you want to capture some of the most famous dungeons from the game's history, but we also wanted to give a selection of adventures that you could in theory start at Level 1 with the first dungeon and play all the way up to Level 15 by playing the adventures one after another."

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

Cover Image

DSC06257-e1483590685311-1200x2134.jpg

Gibbering Mouther

DSC06270-e1483590966307-1200x2134.jpg

DSC06278-e1483590790367-1200x2134.jpg

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Save
Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

pemerton

Legend
As someone who's never played any of these, I freely admit that I find this idea tremendously exciting.
Seriously? Hand in your D&D licence now, please!

[sblock]I own ToH, WPM, AtG, Hidden Shrine and Sunless Citadel. I've run bits of ToH using RM as my engine, but the PCs (and players) felt the risks were too great and abandoned it. I've run all of AtG back in the AD&D days; used bits of it in a RM game but with ogres for hill giants and minotaurs for fire giants; and most recently adapted G2 to my 4e game.

I've looked at running Hidden Shrine a couple of time but (mild spoiler inside my spoiler tags)[sblock]it looks like a real meatgrinder as written, at least in AD&D.[/sblock] One day I want to run WPM - but that would have to be as a one-off; it's too crazy to bring into a regular campaign![/sblock]

What's the Yawning Portal?
OK, so you redeemed yourself! (I think it's some silly FR thing - maybe the tavern on top of the dungeon in Watereep?)

happyhermit

Adventurer
D&D has become the 40 year old guy who still wears his highschool football letterman jacket every day and spends his nights sitting in a recliner drinking Bud Light and flipping through his senior yearbook with tears in his eyes thinking "those were the days."

Really? That guy is super popular with teenagers and kids? As successful as he has ever been? Can be seen all over new media like Youtube and twitch with celebrities and popular figures and is working with them ie; Pendleton Ward, Matt Mercer, Chris Hardwick, etc.?

Interesting, up here drinking Bud light basically means expulsion from society.

Sammael

Adventurer
celebrities and popular figures and is working with them ie; Pendleton Ward, Matt Mercer, Chris Hardwick, etc.?
I have no idea who these people are.

In fact, I just googled them and I still have no idea who they are and what warrants their celebrity status.

Damn my advanced age.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Really? That guy is super popular with teenagers and kids? As successful as he has ever been? Can be seen all over new media like Youtube and twitch with celebrities and popular figures and is working with them ie; Pendleton Ward, Matt Mercer, Chris Hardwick, etc.?

Interesting, up here drinking Bud light basically means expulsion from society.

That guy is absolutely popular with teenagers.

He buys them beer in exchange for companionship and weed.

happyhermit

Adventurer
I have no idea who these people are.

In fact, I just googled them and I still have no idea who they are and what warrants their celebrity status.

Damn my advanced age.

What ever warrants "celebrity status"? Whenever someone mentions a "celebrity" someone says "Who is that?" :) note, I said "and popular figures". They are just people who a lot of other people watch. I could have mentioned many more widely known celebrities such as Vin Diesel (who played a session on camera with Mercer) or whatever, but that's hardly the point. When Matt Mercer sits down to run a D&D session on twitch something like 1 million people will watch, many live plays have several more millions of views on youtube later. The audience on those shows and mediums skews heavily towards under-30, to say the least.

Remove ads

Remove ads