D&D 5E Multiclassing more than once per level?

eainmonster

First Post
Thanks, this is hard to figure out based on what I'm wanting to do. I haven't looked at all of your suggestions but I have looked at Savage Worlds and I kind of like it but from what I've looked up it seems like a combat orientated system. Is that true?

Savage worlds is combat oriented. It's more complicated than 5e, I'd say.

FATE is character and plot driven. The Aspects concept was a little tough to wrap my head around (and seems to be confusing for most folks at first), but it's really nice once you get the idea.

FATE doesn't really emphasize skill advancement or mechanical character development, though, and I thought that was kind of the point of this thread. I'm thinking of freeform skill systems more along the lines of GURPS (maybe not GURPS itself though).

eainmonster

First Post
FATE doesn't really emphasize skill advancement or mechanical character development, though, and I thought that was kind of the point of this thread. I'm thinking of freeform skill systems more along the lines of GURPS (maybe not GURPS itself though).

Sure, he could go with that, too. :) I don't really have a horse in the race for which system he uses. ;)

I figured I'd mention FATE since he was talking about story reasons for their skills.

Satyrn

First Post
I see this working easily in D&D by simply making a new class with only 1 or 2 levels - give it a reasonable hit die, level one spellcasting and proficiency with light armor, a couple simple weapons and either 1 martial weapon or shield. Something like that.

Add in the background and those are tge only 2 skills they get. And notice I didn't mention save proficiencies; that's intentional.

Then at 2nd or 3rd level, when the player takes a "real" class, he ignores the multiclassing rules (unless maybe you want to use the ability score prerequisites ) and gains all the starting skill weapon and armor proficiencies he'd gain if he started out as the class.

Anthony Vu

First Post
I see this working easily in D&D by simply making a new class with only 1 or 2 levels - give it a reasonable hit die, level one spellcasting and proficiency with light armor, a couple simple weapons and either 1 martial weapon or shield. Something like that.

Add in the background and those are tge only 2 skills they get. And notice I didn't mention save proficiencies; that's intentional.

Then at 2nd or 3rd level, when the player takes a "real" class, he ignores the multiclassing rules (unless maybe you want to use the ability score prerequisites ) and gains all the starting skill weapon and armor proficiencies he'd gain if he started out as the class.

You can do that? I never thought if it that way. Like what I've tried was like looking up homebrewed classes that kinda fit what I'm looking for and trying to fuse them together which is hard in on itself.

eainmonster

First Post

Yeah, this is the way to do it. Winner!

Anthony Vu

First Post
Ok let me see if i got this right. So i make a class that has all the basics of what I want at level 1. And then as they level up they pick a class to level up from. Is that the idea of it?

eainmonster

First Post
Ok let me see if i got this right. So i make a class that has all the basics of what I want at level 1. And then as they level up they pick a class to level up from. Is that the idea of it?

Yep, pretty much! Call that first class "Recruit" or something, and set it up like [MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION] said. :)

Anthony Vu

First Post

so for the "real" class, I should do only one right or would it be ok if I let them pick aspects at each level? Just a curious idea.

Remove ads