D&D 5E New Wizard Archetype: The Splintered Soul

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So this was inspired by [MENTION=6803713]Slit518[/MENTION]'s thread about a character that is actually twins. The idea intrigued me and got me thinking of a Wizard Archetype that really focuses on their familiar. It started off as a challenge to make mechanics that work for the concept, but now I am thinking this may actually be a viable concept. But I am concerned about the balance of the archetype compared to other wizard schools. Familiars are already spoken of as problematic due to their ability to grant advantage nearly at will with the Help action in combat, but this is generally balanced by their low HP and the fact that doing this makes the familiar a target. I am also concerned that it is much wordier than typical for 5e content. So with that, the following are my design goals*:

1) Creating an ally that could pass as your twin, at least mechanically. Thematically though, it could be reskinned to appear as any kind of creature with your statistics.

2) Something that conceptually represents an investment of energy that can act independently to a degree.

3) Natural and thematic enhancements to normal familiars, as the spell is the basis of this concept.

4) Conceptually, the creation/companion/familiar could not exist without the creator, but not vice versa.

*I'm not sure I'm stating my design goals well, so I will provide thoughts and reasoning after each ability.

The Splintered Soul
While most wizards spend their lives studying the Weave and specializing in the effects of particular aspects of magic, Wizards of the Splintered Soul turn inward. They cleave off a small portion of their soul and shape it into a creature that is simultaneously an extension of the Wizard, and a distinct entity in its own right. Doing so gives them abilities that are unachievable by other Wizards.

Soul Focus
Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, your Arcane Companion acts as your spell focus. As long as your Arcane Companion is within 60ft of you and not incapacitated, you are able to cast spells as if you were holding an arcane focus.

[sblock=Reasoning]I tried to think of something that could replace the bonus normal schools get for learning spells in their focus. I didn't think it was appropriate to go the way of the War Wizard to improve initiative, and couldn't think of what else to offer. I thought this might be worthwhile in the structure of typical wizard archetypes, while representing a similar power level (which I see as a ribbon ability).[/sblock]

Arcane Companion
Starting at 2nd level, you learn the Find Familiar spell if you don’t already know it. However, when you cast this spell, you instead create an Arcane Companion. To do so, during the creation of the Arcane Companion you reduce your maximum HP by 1. Your maximum HP remains reduced by this amount so long as your Arcane Companion exists. The created Arcane Companion has the exact same statistics as you, except that it starts with 4 HP and lacks any equipment. Though your Arcane Companion is conjured with no equipment, it is capable of using any equipment you can use. It cannot attune to magic items, though you can use one of your attunement slots and provide the item to be used by your Arcane Companion. Otherwise, your Arcane Companion functions exactly as a familiar from the Find Familiar spell.

At the time of creation, you can invest further energy into the Arcane Companion. You can choose an amount of your total HP to invest into the Arcane Companion, reducing your maximum HP by the same amount (you must have at least 1 HP remaining). Your Arcane Companion starts with the same amount of HP you sacrificed +3. Your maximum HP remains reduced by this amount so long as your Arcane Companion lives.

Your Arcane Companion’s Hit Points increases by 5 at level 6, then again at levels 10 and 14.

The portion of your soul inhabiting the Arcane Companion cannot exist without the whole. If you die, your Arcane Companion will die after one minute. During this time, it cannot cast any spells nor take the attack action.

[sblock=Reasoning]This is the conceptual and mechanical meat of the archetype. To me, it represents similar challenges to the Animal Companion of Beast Master Rangers. And so I tried to address these challenges but in ways that made more sense within the concept. While Beast Master animal companions (from revised ranger) improve as individuals at levels of normal ranger ASI, I just went with the idea that the Arcane Companion has the same stats as the wizard (minus equipment bonuses and HP). In terms of action economy, the cannot attack on its own, and the concept of delivery spells maintains an action economy balance that won't step on the Beast Master's toes. Additionally, while the Arcane Companion has greater utility as a scout than the beast master and higher chance of survival than a normal familiar, it is far less likely to withstand combat encounters than a Beast Master animal companion and requires investment by the wizard that makes them more fragile.

This ability is pretty wordy (more so if you include the text involved in the Find Familiar spell). But I thought that using the Find Familiar spell as a basis would provide more structure and ease of use for understanding how the Arcane Companion could be used, while preventing Wizards from having too many minions by having an Arcane Companion AND a Familiar and potential summoning spells that can be accessed in higher levels of play.

I also understand that this creates an ability similar to the 7th level Simulacrum spell, but achievable by level. But since the Arcane Companion is more limited in its action economy, hit points, and does not have its own spell slots, I thought it might be balanced out.
But I would appreciate thoughts that might highlight my blind spots.[/sblock]

Improved Spell Delivery
At level 6, your Arcane Companion can now deliver any spell as if it had cast the spell. Your Arcane Companion must be within 100ft of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it.

[sblock=Reasoning]I thought this a natural progression of the familiar in being a conduit for magical energy and focus. It does create potential problems, such as use as a "suicide bomber." For example, running into an area out of line of sight and throwing down a self-centered fireball. Also in terms of role playing the ability to seem like you are in two places at once can be valuable. But still, I feel this ability to be appropriate conceptually. I just don't know how this power stacks against what other wizard archetypes offer.[/sblock]

Unbreakable Bond
At level 10, your Arcane Companion’s benefits work regardless of distance so long as you are both on the same plane of existence. In addition, you can make any spell you cast that targets only you also target your Arcane Companion.

[sblock=Reasoning]Warlocks could potentially have a familiar with such range earlier, but they also don't have the power to send any spell through their familiar. Additionally Paladin's can summon steeds that share their spells. Once again, seemed appropriate in terms of concept. However, I don't know how its relative balance stacks up against what other wizard archetypes offer.[/sblock]

Shared Concentration
At level 14, your Arcane Companion can assist you in concentrating on spells. When you cast a concentration spell, you can use your Arcane Companion to maintain concentration of the spell on your behalf. The Arcane Companion makes any concentration checks as normal to maintain the spell, such as if it takes damage. This ability would allow you to cast another concentration spell, one maintained by you and the other maintained by your Arcane Companion. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

[sblock=Reasoning]As the capstone ability for this archetype, I think it makes sense. You can only hold concentration of two spells once per long rest, limiting it to one encounter per day. I feel this limits abuse. I also drew inspiration from the Tech Wizard presented in the Modern Magic issue of Unearthed Arcana. This ability I believe to be fair and balanced. But as the archetype as a whole and the power level it represents, I don't know how well it fits against other wizard options.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I think, maybe, you aimed a bit to short with this idea.

What I mean by that:

In Al-Qadim, the "not-Arabian Nights" sub-setting for FR, there is a type of Wizard known as a Sha'ir. They summon gen (minor genies) as familiars, who do all of the normal familiar stuff, have their own minor magical abilities, and more importantly they can also be sent to fetch a spell. I suggest looking into them.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Overall, I like it. A lot.

I don't know how it would stack against other archetypes either, so I don't know that I have the kind of feedback you seek at least in that regard. I will suggest, however, that you remove the first sentence under "The Splintered Soul" (the sentence beginning "this school of magic . . ."

The sentence is unnecessary and a bit awkward, and your description sounds just fine describing HOW a Splintered Soul is different from more common wizards instead of just saying they ARE.

EDIT: I also disagree completely with Leatherhead's suggestion. The sha'ir's gen (elemental familiar) is completely different from and used for very different purposes than the one in your Splintered Soul. The sha'ir is a great class concept, and I love Al-Qadim, but I think you're in a completely different design space.

Last edited:

I like the idea conceptually, and you are off to a good start. The beginning ability might be a bit fiddly with the hp sacrifice mechanic, but it's not too overly complicated and seems to fit 5e's design mindset.

However, I can't help but feel like thematically this archetype feels like it would fit the Warlock or the Sorcerer a lot better than Wizard, for several reasons. Warlock feels like a better fit for a sort of "summoner" vibe (with the exception of conjurationist wizards, which is mutually exclusive), while if we play the "familiar is a part of you" vibe, it feels very sorcerer-y, especially if you stick with that 14th level ability, which is basically hacking magic to gain more concentration (i.e. metamagic). I'm actually reminded of the old pathfinder archetype of the tattoo sorcerer which got a cool familiar that could merge with their body as a tattoo, and sticking with 5e, I point out the pact of the chain warlock which sort of already has a "improved familiar' thing going.

Wizard archetypes in general tend to be all about finding ways to cast different spell schools. While some like the bladesinger do allow a mix of martial combat, in general their focus is on casting spells unedited and gaining perks for doing it. It works for wizard fine, but that's my opinion.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
[MENTION=6845520]MostlyHarmless42[/MENTION] I can definitely see where you're coming from. But the familiar is also something that to me seems iconic to the wizard. Also, it is only available on the wizard spell list, so despite the Pact of the Chain it seems WotC continues to find the familiar to be something specific to the wizard heritage. Also, while sorcerers do hack magic, the idea is the archetype represents some inner power of heritage, while the warlock makes a deal with a higher power. While the fluff or RP elements might be changed to fit those class concepts, the idea of splitting off a piece of one's soul is not easily explained with sorcerer or warlock.

I kind of look at it like this. While most wizard archetypes are focused on particular schools of magic or weaving magic with war/martial proficiency, this archetype eschews focus on a school and instead sharpens that focus to really understanding and expanding upon a single spell.

[MENTION=6845520]MostlyHarmless42[/MENTION] I can definitely see where you're coming from. But the familiar is also something that to me seems iconic to the wizard. Also, it is only available on the wizard spell list, so despite the Pact of the Chain it seems WotC continues to find the familiar to be something specific to the wizard heritage. Also, while sorcerers do hack magic, the idea is the archetype represents some inner power of heritage, while the warlock makes a deal with a higher power. While the fluff or RP elements might be changed to fit those class concepts, the idea of splitting off a piece of one's soul is not easily explained with sorcerer or warlock.

I kind of look at it like this. While most wizard archetypes are focused on particular schools of magic or weaving magic with war/martial proficiency, this archetype eschews focus on a school and instead sharpens that focus to really understanding and expanding upon a single spell.

I agree with where you are going, and it's all good. I was just chiming in my opinion for consideration. Familiars are definitely a classic wizard thing as well. To be honest one of my biggest gripes about sorcerer is thst they *dont* get the spell, despite them releasing *several* "sorcerer" npcs in their modules who have freaking familiars with them. 😧

The larger concern is the concentration slot ability being locked to wizards only. I'd consider giving the other caster classes in your games some similar mechanic options via a feat, archetype, or base mechanic perhaps. A second concentration slot is a POWERFUL ability, and while 14th level is perfectly appropriate, it's been discussed numerous times here about a decent way to do it. I feel your archetype fits "thematically", but unless you add a similar metamagic for your sorcerers, a high level invocation, or some other type of boon, I feel it may push any of your more optimizing players towards this archetype with reckless abandon.

Remove ads