D&D 5E The Thug, A Subclass for Strength Rogues

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
There is nothing at all that says Feature Group #1 typically can't read. Not in any 5e book. They can speak, read, and write in any languages they have proficiency in just like any other Feature group.

You weaken your argument with falsehoods.

Sure I forgot that languages come from race and background (meaning it has nothing to do with any feature group). Its not uncommon for me to use a flawed example. I don't agree that the overall point is diminished, concept of classes being feature groups and that building off a feature group that is counter to the stated goal is not a good place to start. Their are multiple other feature groups that are strength based and far better starting points for achieving the stated goals.

If its your intent to target my creditability over a minor inaccuracy while ignoring the strength of the stated point, then the ability to be heard and make a point is by far more diminished by the listeners desire for "me to be wrong" rather than have a discussion and consider that points being made own their own merit. I get what your saying and I get for some readers they will write me off for one mistake. I highlighted you doing the same thing, however, your point that people will ignore me for being inaccurate is true only for those who are primarily looking for any reason other than my argument to invalidate the point. So your not wrong in regard to people who are hear to argue but its my hope that the OP who came here to ask opinions, was asking for actual constructive input instead of placating moral support in affirmation that they had done a great job. That in mind I don't necessarily expect the OP to read and agree but I would expect the OP to focus in on the point and consider its merit.

In this case I really like the idea of the subclass and the majority of the features but I think the goals of the stated end result, is greatly hindered by the choice of starting point being apparently picked not by its mechanical design but the name and implied role it provokes. If I was going to make a thug, I might have originally looked at the class features of a class call "rogue" as well. Having looked at those features and read the posts by the OP, I feel like his (and my) original instinct leads to a contradiction through meta names that don't really matter in play. If the OP sees that and understands, then decides to do it anyway... the appears what they said the goal was is either not true or has evolved as a mater of input. For example, they may want to make a subclass using the feature set of the rogue specifically but what to use strength because their GM uses variant encumbrance and having strength for attack, armor, encumbrance, and grapple mechanics makes it the god stat... the alternate solution then is to give the Dex rogue a bonus to encumbrance and grappling which then allows it to be a rogue play as a rogue but fill the new goals that were not previously stated. But I don't know that without being sure the OP understands my point and the OP being striate with if this reveals a they had goals they didn't realize and had not previously stated. Maybe we will see. I hope so.

Last edited:

clutchbone

First Post
In this case I really like the idea of the subclass and the majority of the features but I think the goals of the stated end result, is greatly hindered by the choice of starting point being apparently picked not by its mechanical design but the name and implied role it provokes. If I was going to make a thug, I might have originally looked at the class features of a class call "rogue" as well. Having looked at those features and read the posts by the OP, I feel like his (and my) original instinct leads to a contradiction through meta names that don't really matter in play. If the OP sees that and understands, then decides to do it anyway... the appears what they said the goal was is either not true or has evolved as a mater of input. For example, they may want to make a subclass using the feature set of the rogue specifically but what to use strength because their GM uses variant encumbrance and having strength for attack, armor, encumbrance, and grapple mechanics makes it the god stat... the alternate solution then is to give the Dex rogue a bonus to encumbrance and grappling which then allows it to be a rogue play as a rogue but fill the new goals that were not previously stated. But I don't know that without being sure the OP understands my point and the OP being striate with if this reveals a they had goals they didn't realize and had not previously stated. Maybe we will see. I hope so.

I don't care about the name "thug". Call it whatever you want. "Goon", "ruffian", whatever, I don't care. What I care about is how it plays.

No, you're right I don't really understand your point, and I also don't know what it means to "be striate" (do i have ridges?). I never mentioned encumbrance or variant encumbrance. Strength doesn't affect this subclass' AC. No one would ever call strength a god-stat over dex. Giving a dex rogue extra bonuses to grappling is OP.

My goals were very clear and defined. I want a strength-based rogue that can sneak attack with blunt weapons, I want it to be fun and balanced (aiming for average effectiveness), and I don't want it to conflict with existing features.

I do thank you for your earlier comments regarding balance and features, that was what I was asking for. I'm not really interested in further discussion regarding "meta" or whether or not I'm being truthful about my own design goals.

ClaytonCross

I don't care about the name "thug". Call it whatever you want. "Goon", "ruffian", whatever, I don't care. What I care about is how it plays.

"It" being rogue features? How do you see it playing? In pretty much every game I have ever seen the rogue features results in ranged combat using dex or stealthy melee fighter using dex. Using strength is inherently abstract to that... so what is it your keeping about how the rogue plays? The only think I see is backstab which is one hit mighty melee damage based on taking advantage of openings. That also aligns more with dex and your goal as I understand it is to use strength. If you just want strength one shot more damage like backstab then I addressed a better way to do that with a fighter. If their is something else with the rogue you want that does not use dex its not clear in your posts since the majority of the class is build around dex.

No, you're right I don't really understand your point, and I also don't know what it means to "be striate" (do i have ridges?). I never mentioned encumbrance or variant encumbrance. Strength doesn't affect this subclass' AC. No one would ever call strength a god-stat over dex. Giving a dex rogue extra bonuses to grappling is OP.

Encumbrance was an example of a reason why you might want strength not. I am looking for an actual reason you want strength and dex is not working for you. That you have not said. Strength effects armor, armor effects AC, their are about as many strength saves and grappling as their are dex, only wisdom has more. With the right build Strength can be just as much a god state as dex, actually more because it effects encumbrance if you use it. I am not saying you do, but it will make strength better than dex at some tables. "Giving a dex rogue extra bonuses to grappling is OP"... you mean like expertise in athletics? lol.

My goals were very clear and defined. I want a strength-based rogue that can sneak attack with blunt weapons, I want it to be fun and balanced (aiming for average effectiveness), and I don't want it to conflict with existing features.

So when I said striate before, I meant as in "strait to the point" you say you want a strength rogue but the only feature have called out is sneak attack with blunt weapons. The reason this is odd is because rogues and sneak attacks are based on stealth and quickly and dexterously taking advantage of opportunities in combat. Your strength design is a striate forward overpowering damage. Its making a barbarian and calling it a rogue and you don't mention any other reason for this. So it seems like your saying "fun and balanced (aiming for average effectiveness)" as a sideways cover for wanting to munchkin steel backstab for power creep. Since your saying your not, I am asking for clarification of why because trying to apply strength as a primary stat to a class whose features were designed around dexterity, from the saves, to skills proficiencies like stealth, acrobatics, slight of hand, and features like evasion, uncanny dodge and backstab (finesse). Its all deliberate design your build is in direct opposition to the intent of the class and its features. It doesn't make since.

I do thank you for your earlier comments regarding balance and features, that was what I was asking for. I'm not really interested in further discussion regarding "meta" or whether or not I'm being truthful about my own design goals.

The meta discussion it to understand the "why" of the design. The is 100% a reason why you want a strength rogue but while you have said you want it, you have not clearly said what about it you want or why. I am not trying to say your not being truthful, I am saying your being indirect in stating your final goal but not your reason for it. It maybe you don't even realize what the reason is you want this build. That's not being dishonest. I am asking you to consider that question of "why" beyond "because I want it" as knowing that would be invaluable. Right now it looks like your primary goal it to give back stab to a character that can grapple well. However, you could take expertise in athletics and achieve that without your feature changes. Your adding clubs for backstab, which is fine but the whole concept of beating a guy with brute force with bat (club) is very thuggish but not at all roguish. So the whole "strength rogue" your face "thug" comes off as stealing backstab and expertise for min/maxing athletics and damage in strength... but said, "I want it to be fun and balanced (aiming for average effectiveness)" which is not what happens when you add Dirty work advantage (athletics grapple or shove), with expertise (athletics which also effects grapple or shove) from rogue, with backstab which you can use on a grapple or shove(prone) target, and to really break this all you have to do is take the tavern brawler feat at level 4, or level 1 as human variant. … That's what it looks like your doing. So I am asking for clarification, because if that is your goal their is no point in saying that's not a good feature. However, if you doing something else, then really the grappling part should be removed since its easily broken with that one feat. More if you take grappler too because you could really lock down anyone and backstab the crap out of them by yourself.

"It" being rogue features? How do you see it playing? In pretty much every game I have ever seen the rogue features results in ranged combat using dex or stealthy melee fighter using dex. Using strength is inherently abstract to that... so what is it your keeping about how the rogue plays? The only think I see is backstab which is one hit mighty melee damage based on taking advantage of openings. That also aligns more with dex and your goal as I understand it is to use strength. If you just want strength one shot more damage like backstab then I addressed a better way to do that with a fighter. If their is something else with the rogue you want that does not use dex its not clear in your posts since the majority of the class is build around dex.
As has been pointed out a couple of times, there is only one Rogue class feature that actually uses Dex specifically. The Sneak Attacks from a melee rogue do not require Dex, just specific weapons that can use Str just as well.
In combat, I can see this class behaving very much like any other melee-oriented rogue, pulling off Sneak Attacks as the meat of their contribution but with more tactical maneuvering of opponents vie shoving and grappling.

Encumbrance was an example of a reason why you might want strength not. I am looking for an actual reason you want strength and dex is not working for you. That you have not said. Strength effects armor, armor effects AC, their are about as many strength saves and grappling as their are dex, only wisdom has more. With the right build Strength can be just as much a god state as dex, actually more because it effects encumbrance if you use it. I am not saying you do, but it will make strength better than dex at some tables. "Giving a dex rogue extra bonuses to grappling is OP"... you mean like expertise in athletics? lol.
Character fantasy and concept is probably the main impetus for this subclass. The image of the more athletic criminal, still relying on dirty fighting, but viciously clubbing foes down with a sap or chair leg, rather than the more graceful but less physically capable sneak poking with a rapier.

So when I said striate before, I meant as in "strait to the point" you say you want a strength rogue but the only feature have called out is sneak attack with blunt weapons. The reason this is odd is because rogues and sneak attacks are based on stealth and quickly and dexterously taking advantage of opportunities in combat. Your strength design is a striate forward overpowering damage. Its making a barbarian and calling it a rogue and you don't mention any other reason for this. So it seems like your saying "fun and balanced (aiming for average effectiveness)" as a sideways cover for wanting to munchkin steel backstab for power creep. Since your saying your not, I am asking for clarification of why because trying to apply strength as a primary stat to a class whose features were designed around dexterity, from the saves, to skills proficiencies like stealth, acrobatics, slight of hand, and features like evasion, uncanny dodge and backstab (finesse). Its all deliberate design your build is in direct opposition to the intent of the class and its features. It doesn't make since.
It sounds like you are not only assigning less pleasant motives to someone who has already told you that they are not the case, you are basing these accusations upon your personal opinions about some of the class features.
You seem to have a very . . . specific image in your mind about Sneak Attack for example, that is supported by neither some other people's opinions, nor the rules themselves.
You claimed that the motives for designing the class were an underhanded attempt at maximising damage despite it probably not dealing any more damage than a Dex-based rogue.

Now me? I wouldn't need this subclass because I just flat-out removed the finesse requirement for Sneak Attack anyway. In my game a Str-based rogue can fight dirty with a club or a longsword anyway. I don't generally allow Intimidation to work with Str anyway, although I'm pretty flexible with swapping abilities and proficiencies around in general.
And as written, with the exception of some of their potential available proficiencies, the Rogue only has one class ability that actually keys off Dex, and even a Rogue with an emphasis on Str is unlikely to dump Dex completely given how powerful Dex is in combat.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
You've made these points several times now, and so I suspect you think you're not being understood. You are: your points are clear, and we get that your understanding of the rogue requires the use of Dexterity as the main stat. Fortunately, the game supports this view of yours:
In pretty much every game I have ever seen the rogue features results in ranged combat using dex or stealthy melee fighter using dex.

Some of us, including the OP who has I think been too patient, are interested in the option of a more diverse build. As a class, a rouge could have been many things; instead, it tends to favour Dexterity. The place to break free of that is in the subclass (as can happen with Arcane Trickster). If you're not onboard with the premise, then you obviously aren't going to like the results. But let's try to be constructive.

There's no need to imply that there are scurrilous motives in the design. There's no need to talk about "god stats", or "munchkin" or "power creep". Those words are completely inappropriate to the conversation, and are being used as clubs (heh) in order to score your points. If you feel this is being suggested, rather than apply labels, why don't you make constructive comments that accept the premise of the discussion? How would you make a strength-based rogue? If the answer is you wouldn't, and you can't imagine how it could be done, then this thread is not for you.

You claim to want to know the "why" of the design, and in doing so you insist you are not calling the OP untruthful and dishonest (which is of course an easy way to plant that you think he is being untruthful and dishonest). The why of the design is straightforward, and has been stated: diversity of class builds.

I get for you this is not a problem; for others, who want to see a wider range of non-magical character classes, it is important. It's the fun we want, that the game does not provide; your mileage may vary, etc. And in a game we like, it's the fun that hasn't been given to us. And so a design like this.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Hey everybody. I wanted to play a fun and balanced rogue subclass that embodied the archetype of the burly goon rather than the agile thief... so I made one!

What do you think, does it work?

[sblock=Design Goals]Do:

• Invoke an alternative roguish flavour to what is already offered.
  • Encourage strength over dexterity.
  • Make it fun to play.
  • Make it balanced. Err towards average effectiveness, rather than Mary Sue homebrew OP domination.
  • Make a rogue that can Sneak Attack with a blunt object. I miss my blackjack! This idea is actually what starting the whole thing.

Don't:

• Overshadow or conflict with existing features from feats, subclasses, etc.
  • Make it feel like you're playing a fighter/swashbuckler/etc.
  • Make it broken.
[/sblock]View attachment 87046
Thug
Bandits, gangsters, enforcers, and other criminals typically follow this archetype, but so do bodyguards, bounty hunters, secret police, and spies.

Bonus Proficiency
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with medium armor.

Dirty Work
Starting at 3rd level, you have advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks made to grapple or shove creatures that are surprised.
In addition, you can use any weapon that doesn't have the two-handed or heavy property with your attack roll to use your Sneak Attack. All the other rules for the Sneak Attack class feature still apply to you.

Coercive Presence
At 9th level, you can use your menacing demeanor to browbeat others into submission. As an action, you can make a Charisma (Intimidation) check contested by an adjacent creature's Wisdom (Insight) check. The creature must be able to hear you, and the two of you must share a language. If you succeed on the check, the creature becomes frightened for 1 minute. This effect ends if you take damage, if you become incapacitated, frightened, or restrained, or if you and the target are more than 30 feet apart. While frightened, your allies have advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature. If the creature's Wisdom (Insight) check is successful or if the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to this feature for the next 24 hours.

Manhandler
By 13th level, you have become adept at leveraging your strength against your enemies. When you successfully grapple a creature using two free hands, you can drag or carry the grappled creature at full speed rather than half, and the grappled creature can’t speak and can’t cast spells that include a verbal component.
In addition, when you successfully shove a creature, you can knock the target prone and push it up to 10 feet away from you.

Cheap Shot
When you reach 17th level, you've honed your ability to strike when the opportunity presents itself. When you use your action to grapple or shove a creature, you can use your bonus action to make a weapon attack against that creature.

[sblock=3rd lvl Feature Notes] The medium armor is to make up for the lower AC that comes from a Strength build. I almost made it shields (thought they'd be easier to "learn", but thought better of it. Chain shirt fits the concept.)

With Dirty Work, I tried to set the Thug's theme, akin to how Assassinate, Master of Tactics, and Fancy Footwork/Rakish Audacity really dictate the playstyle and flavour of their respective subclasses. Thugs can manhandle you and club you upside the head. Pretty simple.
I started with "Bonus Action to shove/grapple" (comparable to Master of Tactics and the help action), but didn’t want to overshadow Shield Master/Grappler/Tavern Brawler, and worried that might be too powerful. Then I went with "When you have adv. on your melee attack roll, you can choose to make a shove/grapple check with adv. instead", which I still kinda like. You can't normally get adv. on grapples or shoves, and I thought the option to trade Sneak Attack for control would be an interesting tactical choice, but I went with the simpler surprise round limitation. I wasn't sure how to word it properly or balance it with 2-weapon fighting or extra attack from multiclassing.

For the weapons, at most it gives you +1 to your average damage over a rapier, if you versatile a longsword, so I think it's fine. FYI, versatile quarterstaff = baseball bat.[/sblock]
[sblock=9th lvl Feature Notes] This is a obviously a shameless bizarro version of the Swashbuckler's Panache, but it seemed like the best way to work in a buff to Intimidate for a party friendly racketeering feel. The effect might be a bit better than Panache, but it breaks more easily.[/sblock]
[sblock=13th lvl Feature Notes] Regular grapple requires one free hand. Makes sense that a super grapple would need two hands. [/sblock]
[sblock=17th lvl Feature Notes] Simple, easy to use improvement on action economy, and reinforces Dirty Work and Manhandler. Competes with Cunning Action, so choice between grapple+damage and grapple+battlefield control (grapple, then dash or disengage to move the enemy). [/sblock]
[sblock=Trash Bin] Exfiltration Expert
By 13th level, you have become adept in the art of abduction at leveraging your strength against your enemies. When you successfully grapple a creature, you can impose one of the following effects on that creature. The effect lasts until the grapple ends or until you impose a different effect, using your action to do so.
  • Snatch & Grab: When you move, you can drag or carry the grappled creature at full speed rather than half.
  • Gag:The grappled creature can’t speak and can’t cast spells that include a verbal component.
  • Blindfold: The grappled creature is blinded.

Fighting Style

When you reach 17th level, your unorthodox fighting skills rival those with more formal training. Choose a fighting style from the list of optional features. You can't take the same Fighting Style option more than once, even if you get to choose again.

• Close Quarters Shooter: You are trained in making ranged attacks at close quarters. When making a ranged attack while you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature, you do not have disadvantage on the attack roll. Your ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover against targets within 30 feet of you. Finally, you have a +1 bonus to attack rolls on ranged attacks.
  • Defense: While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
  • Dueling: When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other Weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to Damage Rolls with that weapon.
  • Two-Weapon Fighting: When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second Attack.
[/sblock]

So, any thoughts? Does it look good, dumb, redundant, boring? Is there a better way of wording anything? Would you ever play as a Thug?

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.

I really like this. I’d consider adding a clause at level 3 that you can use Sneak Attack if the target is Frightened.

ClaytonCross

You've made these points several times now, and so I suspect you think you're not being understood. You are: your points are clear, and we get that your understanding of the rogue requires the use of Dexterity as the main stat. Fortunately, the game supports this view of yours:

You are correct sir. But I am also trying to ask for clarification incase I am the one that is confused. (It happens). So I am offering my perspective of what I see and asking for correction in hopes to gain a clearer picture.

Some of us, including the OP who has I think been too patient, are interested in the option of a more diverse build. As a class, a rouge could have been many things; instead, it tends to favour Dexterity. The place to break free of that is in the subclass (as can happen with Arcane Trickster). If you're not onboard with the premise, then you obviously aren't going to like the results. But let's try to be constructive.

Sure, but understanding the full intent is important to constructive input. I am not against diverse builds and breaking free. If fact, I am suggesting it in a way. The idea of holding thug to the rogue sub-class is also a restraint, so I am trying to find why its imperative to the design to be locked to that. Keeping the OPs features and moving to a different class, or keeping the rogue class but achieving the goals with use of dex are attempts at constructive conversation. I offered them not as absolutes but as questions. I am trying to understand the importance of the rogue class features to the build. Your saying that the rogue does not require dex, but it also does not support strength well without heavy armor proficiency, strength saves, etc. As you already said, it tends to favor dexterity, so what about the play style creates the desire for a strength build? Its it simply a need to defy expectation, is it a rogue feature the OP is keying on, or is it the name of the class an the thoughts it provokes. I don't feel like I have received a direct answer from the OP so I am left confused and have attempted to reframe and restate because as you said I feel like the reply of "because strength rogue thugs" is due to me not asking the question clearly enough.

There's no need to imply that there are scurrilous motives in the design. There's no need to talk about "god stats", or "munchkin" or "power creep". Those words are completely inappropriate to the conversation, and are being used as clubs (heh) in order to score your points. If you feel this is being suggested, rather than apply labels, why don't you make constructive comments that accept the premise of the discussion? How would you make a strength-based rogue? If the answer is you wouldn't, and you can't imagine how it could be done, then this thread is not for you.

I am looking for clarity, I used those terms because they are understood but I was to the best of my ability clear that the OP was directly making statements to claim against those while reflecting aspects of those in the build. So I believe the OP, but express that the statements to deflect from that and build that supports that muddies the water. So I asked for elaboration in that regard. The words are not intended to be malicious but are well known terms and I quote statements where the OP was dancing around the terms but reflecting on the point. Instead of being vague, I was striate because the dancing around the words makes statements in concise and the meaning muddy. In that regard they are the most appropriate words to clarify a point. I do understand they are loaded so people see their use a cheep shots, but I am asking for clarification of what the OP means as its been state that is not the OPs goal, example, "… That's what it looks like your doing. So I am asking for clarification, because if that is your goal their is no point in saying that's not a good feature. However, if you doing something else, then really the grappling part should be removed since its easily broken with that one feat." Is a constructive request of understanding, as to if this class is intended to be a "power grappler" as the function giving a diverse build something unique or is the interaction with Tavern Brawler and Grappler something they OP had not considered.

You claim to want to know the "why" of the design, and in doing so you insist you are not calling the OP untruthful and dishonest (which is of course an easy way to plant that you think he is being untruthful and dishonest). The why of the design is straightforward, and has been stated: diversity of class builds.

You said earlier, you can build a strength rogue already. The OP said they are building an in your face strength based Thug design. The question of "why" is still what I want. I REALLY mean I don't think the OP is being dishonest. I don't know how to type it to be more clear. I really wrote that to say "please don't miss understand this as a personal attack, but a request for clarity". To me diversity of class design has a point. Am I wrong? You said your play a strength based rogue already. So what then is the purpose of the design if it does something you can already do? It adds a few weapon options and it adds a role play premise... both of which are commonly done... so what's is new? Grappling, fear, more grappling, silence casters verbal component, attacking after you grapple... the stated goal is a straight based rogue but features appear to be about superior use of grapple more than anything. Is it so strange for someone to question the grappling with Advantage + expertise + silencing casters + attacking with bonus action after grapple and ask, "are you sure this is about a strength rogue and not about making a supper grappler? If its not, as a constructive suggestion, you might want to step back from all the grappling because there is potential for abuse." If the intent is to be grapple master not strength rogue then changing the class makes since, because being a grapple master with a class that does all its damage in a single attack then allowing it to gain advantage to get that ability, do massive damage, then take the grappler feat and even further lock down a target is pretty powerful. There are two very different possible options here and to completely different approaches to dealing with them based on what is really important to the OP. It's also possible their is a third option I am not seeing... So yes I do want to know why and I am asking for the OP to re-assess an clarify their goal. Because I do believe this the OP started with the intent of a strength rogue aka Thug and grappling may very well be a by product of grapping being the only thuggish thing the OP could think of but did the build take a life of its own and lean more to something else. Does the Op realize the implications of what this would do if a rogue caught an enemy caster with this design? I don't know. I am not assuming one way or another. I am asking for clarification.

I get for you this is not a problem; for others, who want to see a wider range of non-magical character classes, it is important. It's the fun we want, that the game does not provide; your mileage may vary, etc. And in a game we like, it's the fun that hasn't been given to us. And so a design like this.

I made a grappling barbarian human variant with tavern brawler at 1 and grappler at 4. Their are options, but I am not against more options. I am confused though by the statement of "strength rogue is already possible", "lets make a strength rogue work", giving it a ton of grapple, and nothing being based around any other rogue features or design. ….I am surely missing something... I don't understand what about these features doesn't work with this as barbarian subclass except for backstab... if the other features don't matter then would it be equally as good if you gave a special opportunity attack to barbarian instead of advantage they already get from rage? I am not saying this should not exist. I am asking what makes rogue important to the build. Can it be done? Sure. But what does it really provide the subclass as rogue instead of barbarian. If the intent as stated is to be a strength rogue, why is it so grapple heavy when that's something you can upgrade with 2 feats already? Could the be strength rogues and not be grapplers at all?

ClaytonCross

As has been pointed out a couple of times, there is only one Rogue class feature that actually uses Dex specifically. The Sneak Attacks from a melee rogue do not require Dex, just specific weapons that can use Str just as well.
In combat, I can see this class behaving very much like any other melee-oriented rogue, pulling off Sneak Attacks as the meat of their contribution but with more tactical maneuvering of opponents vie shoving and grappling.

So what of that can't be achieve by role playing fighter or barbarian as thug? What does the Rogue class offer as Strength based design like this that makes it the choice for this subclass?

Character fantasy and concept is probably the main impetus for this subclass. The image of the more athletic criminal, still relying on dirty fighting, but viciously clubbing foes down with a sap or chair leg, rather than the more graceful but less physically capable sneak poking with a rapier.

Again, that's why I keep referring to the rogue class as a group of features. What detracts from this if the athletic criminal is based on the barbarian or fighter features? Why rogue? Does this not also step on the toes of those classes since they exist to fill that void? Being a criminal is not class specific and could be applied to any class.

It sounds like you are not only assigning less pleasant motives to someone who has already told you that they are not the case, you are basing these accusations upon your personal opinions about some of the class features.
You seem to have a very . . . specific image in your mind about Sneak Attack for example, that is supported by neither some other people's opinions, nor the rules themselves.
You claimed that the motives for designing the class were an underhanded attempt at maximising damage despite it probably not dealing any more damage than a Dex-based rogue.

I did not claim that or assign those motives. The OP said his goals were to avoid those and there are design aspects that could be used that way. So I wanted to point those out and that they are perhaps in contradiction to the OPs statements. That does not make it an OP motivation. The post is here for discussion, so if the OP over looked a potential for abuse it would be expected that the exploit be pointed out in response. They said they are not maximizing and I have no reason to believe other wise but that doesn't mean such flaws can't happen by accident? Isn't that why we play test? Isn't that why additional point of view are useful to design development?

Now me? I wouldn't need this subclass because I just flat-out removed the finesse requirement for Sneak Attack anyway. In my game a Str-based rogue can fight dirty with a club or a longsword anyway. I don't generally allow Intimidation to work with Str anyway, although I'm pretty flexible with swapping abilities and proficiencies around in general.
And as written, with the exception of some of their potential available proficiencies, the Rogue only has one class ability that actually keys off Dex, and even a Rogue with an emphasis on Str is unlikely to dump Dex completely given how powerful Dex is in combat.

So they are taking a dex tax due to insufficient armor? I mean I don't generally see strength Barbarians or Fighters with high dex too. What is it that provokes this design as a Rogue with a dex tax instead of Fighter or Barbarian without one? Even if we disregard the skills not needing dex, is their anything that supports strength like Barbarians rage? What makes this good as a rogue build. Is it just "because" and if so does that mean its stuck on this idea of the rogue feature package name?

1. There is nothing in rules that prevents a fighter or Barbarian from being a strength based criminal thug with these features.What makes them better on even as good as a rogue?

2. If they are not as better on a rogue why is it important mechanically or in role play to tie this subclass to rogue features?

To me if you can't answer those two questions your subclass doesn't have enough of an identity to be a rogue sub-class because you can do it already. If your giving identity and making it unique and special to the rogue class then it needs to know it an own it but be careful not to abuse it. What I see is this looks like a grapple master class but doesn't account for there being 2 feets for grappling any class including rogues, fighters, and barbarians could take. If you apply those feats to this subclass as rogue with one hit damage (backstab) and expertise... it takes something any class can do then breaks it instead of becoming special. A little clarity on the intent could temper the design into something more unique and less broken. The fear ability for example, is whole unique and suites a thug. It's not a rogue specific ability but it seems like a thought in the right direction. It seems like the OP has a good intent but feel like "strength rogue thug" has left it too generic to make unique so its relying heavily on a mechanic that anyone can use and that a barbarian already does very well. So what makes a strength rogue thug different and uniquge from a strength barbarian thug?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
as a constructive suggestion, you might want to step back from all the grappling because there is potential for abuse.
As it turns out, I agree with you -- there's more grappling in this build than would suit my taste. I do not think it is overpowered, however.
In fact, I think the OP has heard criticisms, and been careful to limit the power:
Dirty hands (level 3) - only works in a surprise round. So that's, what, once every four or five combats?
Manhandler (level 13, so well beyond what most games get to in any case) - requires two free hands, but allows you to move +15' and cover someone's mouth.
Cheap Shot (level 17) - allows a grapple+weapon attack (and so excludes the use of manhandler at the same time). This is at the level that Wizards get the Wish spell, Time Stop, and Power Word Kill.

Does the Op realize the implications of what this would do if a rogue caught an enemy caster with this design? I don't know.
Given the depth of response you have received, I am confident they do understand.
I am asking what makes rogue important to the build
I will answer for myself; others may feel differently.

Non-magical classes are thin on the ground. There's fighter and rogue and (depending on one's view), barbarian. The fighter is the pre-eminent nonmagical warrior. Knows weapons and armour The barbarian is fuelled by the rage mechanism. The rouge is defined by skills -- not by combat.

If I don't want to play a professional warrior, then rogue is my only option.

As it turns out, when 5e was being developed, there were two subclasses for Rogue, one a Thief and one a Thug. It is a straightforward, natural association that they chose not to pursue. There is nothing mysterious about it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases