"How do I beat the Matt Mercer effect?"

On Reddit, a user named Mister-builder asked Matthew Mercer how to deal with folks who unfavourably compare their home game to that of Critical Role's videos. Matt took to Reddit to pen a reply.

On Reddit, a user named Mister-builder asked Matthew Mercer how to deal with folks who unfavourably compare their home game to that of Critical Role's videos. Matt took to Reddit to pen a reply.

"I'm running a campaign for a lot of first-timers, and I'm dealing with a lot of first-timer problems (the one who never speaks up, the one who needs to be railroaded, the NG character being played CN and the CN character being played CE). Lately, however, there's a new situation I'm dealing with. A third of my group first got interested in D&D because of Critical Role. I like Matt Mercer as much as the next guy, but these guys watched 30+ hours of the show before they ever picked up a D20. The Dwarf thinks that all Dwarves have Irish accents, and the Dragonborn sounds exactly like the one from the show (which is fine, until they meet NPCs that are played differently from how it's done on the show). I've been approached by half the group and asked how I planned to handle resurrection. When I told them I'd decide when we got there, they told me how Matt does it. Our WhatsApp is filled with Geek and Sundry videos about how to play RPG's better. There's nothing wrong with how they do it on the show, but I'm not Matt Mercer and they're not Vox Machina. At some point, the unrealistic expectations are going to clash with reality. How do you guys deal with players who've had past DM's they swear by?

TL;DR Critical Role has become the prototype for how my players think D&D works. How do I push my own way of doing things without letting them down?"

Critical-Role-Matt-Mercer.jpg

Here was the reply from Matthew Mercer:

"Seeing stuff like this kinda breaks my heart. Regardless, the fact of the matter is our style of play is just that...our style of play. Every table is different, and should be! If they just want to “copy” what we do, that’s not very creative nor what makes the game magic at the table.

I DO believe that it’s important for any gaming group to discuss expectations early into a campaign so everyone can get on the same page and avoid dissonance. However, it’s EVERYONE’S responsibility at the table to provide and add to the experience for everyone to enjoy themselves and the story, not just the DM. As I saw some comments below mention, you want a particular style of game? That level of commitments rests on YOUR shoulders. Consolidate your style and wishes with those of the other players and DM, and somewhere in that unique mix you will find your table’s special style of storytelling.

Need I also remind your players that we are a table of professional actors, and I have been DMing for well over 20 years. We have spent our lives training in particular skills that allow us to get as immersed in the characters as we enjoy doing. Anyone can jump in as deeply, should they wish to, but EXPECTING that immediate level of comfort and interest is unfair and absurd. Do they want a deep, convoluted emotional journey like Scanlan? They better be able to bring it like Sam did. No? Then sit down and just have fun finding your own path. ;)

PLUS, our style isn’t for everyone! Hell, just scan the comments below to see how many folks don’t like us, haha. I’ve played with many different players, ran games of many different styles and focuses, and I can tell you... there is so much fun variety to how a TTRPG can be played, they’re limiting their chances to enjoy it by trying to “play it just like us”.

Anyway, I say the best course is have a very frank conversation with them about these things. Clearly say that your game will feel like YOUR game (meaning you and the players together), and it’s THEIR responsibility to bring to the table what facet they want to see in it. Show them this post, if it helps. In fact, show them this message:

“Guys. Relax. Your DM is kicking ass, and is doing this for YOUR enjoyment and journey. Appreciate that, listen, build with them, and make this something UNIQUE. Abandon expectations and just have fun together as friends.”

Anyway, so sorry. Things like this are never my intent. It’s a weird, wild west these days. Your gonna be great, friend.

Jharet

Explorer
I've never seen Critical Role or Matt Mercer, but some of my younger players talk about it. They also say my game is better, so there's that.

I DM a fair amount of AL in a store and a decent number of new players have only watched CR and that is how they think D&D should be played. I tip my hat to Matt Mercer, I have only partially watched a few episodes but I think he is a good DM.

I am not him and I don’t run my game the way he does, and instead of dismissing the new players wish to play how they think it should be done, I just mention that every DM and group has their own style and they add to it by the way they play as well.

Matt seems to get this question pretty often and he is often out at events and meeting fans. I have never seen him being anything but gracious and supportive of other DMs and DMing styles. I have been DMing for over 40 years and I learn a few things from watching him, he is particularly good in painting the scenes and drawing his players out to add their own details.

I am glad that Matt and his game are there, just like I am glad my 21 year old daughter is coming into her own as a DM her way and style which is not the same as mine.

VengerSatanis

High Priest of Kort'thalis Publishing
I hope you don't mind the following.

It is ironic that a couple people here are talking about how it is all about communication... but there are severe flaws in how they communicate their points about communication. The showcase that this isn't as easy as it looks matters for this discussion.

Example: jmucciello here, closed his piece with "To me this isn't even a molehill." And note how Morrus responds to this, rather than the real meat of the post? That's because such an addition, especially at the impactful start or end of a piece, makes it about the speaker, and trivializes the issue for anyone for whom it is *not* a molehill: "This is about communication, and I, of course, don't have any issues with communication..."

I mean, it is great for you that this isn't a major issue. But also... so what? Other people are not you. Their groups are not yours. Its status as a non-problem for you is not, itself, useful to anyone else.

To wit - if you are going to help someone out, don't make it about you. Make it about them.

Similarly, there was a poster up-thread who said, "Maybe grow thicker skin, and be open to improving." Because, if their skin isn't think enough, stabbing them is supposed to be *helpful*?

Making a ton of assumptions, misstating a need (they need to be open to *criticism* - whether the changes the players think they want count as improvements for all concerned is a separate question) and positioning it as a statement of how bad the recipient is are all great ways to make sure your message doesn't get across. Communication is a two-person process, and criticism is unlikely to be taken well if it is not given well.

Yep - you are dealing with a human being. It is not sufficient to deliver information. To be helpful, it ought to be delivered in a way that does not negatively engage the recipient's emotions, because that dong so keeps their analytical mind from engaging on the matter.

To some, your response might come across as condescending. However, I didn't take it that way. I took it as a sign of the times. Dialog has to be comforting, polite, and considerate of the reader's feelings... that must be guessed at because they're strangers.

That's cool if you enjoy that style of communication. It's not for me, though.

As author of a bestselling book on GMing, I have an opinion that may or may not be worthwhile to you. But I usually don't sugarcoat my dark wisdom.

VS

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
As author of a bestselling book on GMing, I have an opinion that may or may not be worthwhile to you. But I usually don't sugarcoat my dark wisdom.

VS

Mind if I ask what your book title is? Not looking to bash you just genuinely interested. Might pick it up.

Yardiff

Adventurer
I do find it a little annoying, however, when their Handbooker Helper series does a video on character creation that presents rolling stats as the default and doesn’t even mention that array or point buy are options that exist.

To be fair to Hamburger Helper videos, rolling stats is the first method mentioned (and the one they use) in the players hand book, followed by the standard array and the point buy system is a variant method.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To be fair to Hamburger Helper videos, rolling stats is the first method mentioned (and the one they use) in the players hand book, followed by the standard array and the point buy system is a variant method.

And I don’t object to them presenting it as the standard option. I only object to them not even mentioning that other options exist.

jgsugden

Legend
Just to point it out: This is not a new phenomena, and Matt's game is not the only thing imitated. A player in my 1988 high shool group named his character Inigo Montoya and repeated the catch phrase over and over and over.... It was a bit tired, but we went with it and that ended up eing a great campaign.

The imitation of Matt's world may be one of the first times that we've seen people imitating a D&D game, but there have been countless imitations of Lord of the Rings, Princess Bride, John Wayne, and a thousand other pop culture icons.

And I don’t object to them presenting it as the standard option. I only object to them not even mentioning that other options exist.
To look around these forums, someone might be led to believe that point-buy is the consensus default method, rather than it being one of two secondary alternatives that exist for those too squeamish to use the actual default.

If one source gives unequal coverage in favor of rolling, then I consider that more than fair, given how far others seem biased against it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhenny

Adventurer
I love what Matt Mercer and the players in his game do and it has certainly contributed to the growth of D&D. I enjoy watching when I can and it has made me so much more conscious of the role playing potential in game sessions.

That said, I’ve stopped watching because his ability to use voices and develop npcs is based on his talent and training as an actor. Since I don’t have the same talent and training, I don’t want to compare myself with him. I just want to be me and enjoy what I bring to the table.

I think it is important to see how others run D&D games, but ultimately each DM has to embrace their own style, quirks, techniques. Owning your game and being true to yourself and your players is more important than emulating the style of a well known DM.

As for players, I don’t really care if a player emulates someone else’s character/role playing style. I’d rather have a player borrow from an existing movie or Critical Role and immerse himself or herself into the game than have a player that plays a flat, mechanical, gamey character that just executes actions without role playing. To me, emulating archetypes is a gateway to creating and developing unique, individualized characters to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads