D&D 4E best 4e adventures?

edhel

Explorer
I didn't run these using 4e but we really enjoyed Seekers of the Ashen Crown (minicampaign for Eberron), and one Eberron adventure from Dungeon. I can't remember its name. Forge-something, I think. It was set in Mournlands and had a warforged dragon in it.

From what I've heard, Madness at Gardmore Abbey is great one too. I also used Thunderspire Labyrinth as a backdrop for another adventure and just took some elements and the map from it.

hey guys!
now that there won't be any new 4e printed adventures, which one you think was the best?
I'm planning to use it to start a game

If by printed you mean "can be printed at a printer", then clearly the hands-down winner is Quickleaf's conversion of Dragon Mountain ;)
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?331204-Dragon-Mountain-(4e-conversion)

I've never once even looked at a 4e adventure so I have little idea (Oh wait, I bought ToH for posterity) of what tripe or what gold lies within. However, I have seen Quickleaf's Dragon Mountain and I know the original material quite well. So I'm going to cast my vote with him!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
There is an RPGA conversion of the original Tomb of Horrors and a Tomb of Horrors book (which is basically an extended sequel) that we have liked.

The first two, Keep on the Shadowfell and Thunderspire are alright, they need some work from the DM to liven them up and get out of just being one big fight after another after another after another, but the potential is there. Thunderspire, which is a set of somewhat connected mini-dungeons in an underdark type setting, actually has a lot of potential, but again the work has to be done.

DDI has conversions of the original G series and Babba Yaga's hut, all looked good.

Quickleaf

Legend
I've never once even looked at a 4e adventure so I have little idea (Oh wait, I bought ToH for posterity) of what tripe or what gold lies within. However, I have seen Quickleaf's Dragon Mountain and I know the original material quite well. So I'm going to cast my vote with him!

Haha, thanks Manbearcat!

Since this *is* ENWorld and Ryan worked/is working his tail off with it, I would be remiss if I did not mention Zeitgeist as an excellent adventure path available to ENWorlders. It was designed with 4e in mind, unlike War of the Burning Sky (also excellent, albeit the conversion was a bit awkward).

And then there is everything put out by Fourthcore, like Revenge of the Iron Lich, which are excellent albeit deadly old school dungeons.

I've heard some good things about WotC's Slaying Stone and maybe one or two other low level printed adventures, but nothing besides that seems worthwhile. By and large WotC's printed adventures suck IMHFO.

That said I agree with [MENTION=22260]TerraDave[/MENTION] that there are some diamonds in the rough of DDi, the G-Series (converted by Chris Perkins), and the Baba Yaga conversion all look good. Some of the adventures by Raven Kolja-Liquette (sp?) are also quite good. Then again, there is lots of suck to sort thru.

EDIT: Oh, and the Living Forgotten Realms/Organized Play adventures may be good also, from what I've heard, though I have no experience with them. And they're all free to download...which is nice (Bill Murry voice from Caddyschack).

Last edited:

Ferghis

First Post
Zeitgeist aside (which everyone says is very good), I've been trying to put together a string of pre-made stuff to take characters from level 1 to 30. Hopefully, stuff I don't have to adjust too many maps and numbers (such as the post-MM3 monster updates published in 2010). Based on this stuff, this is what I have so far (first numbers are character levels):

1-8 ???
9-11 Force of Nature
11-13 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens
13-15 Baba Yaga's Hut
17 ???
18-20 Hall of the Fire Giant King (is it a shame to do this without doing the other G-series conversions first?)
21 The Glorious Hunt
22 Cracks in the Crimson Cage
23 The Tangled Skein of Destiny
24-30 ???

filthgrinder

First Post
The best 4E adventure is "Madness at Gardmore Abbey". Hands down.
Among the printed adventures ther stand outs are "The Slaying Stone" and "Seekers of the Ashen Crown"

From Dungeon: "Dead by Dawn" and my favorite 4E dungeon adventure: "Lord of the White Fields" are the standouts.

The "original" series H1-3, P1-3, and E1-3 are spotty at best. Some have good ideas, but they all just bog down into combat encounter hack and slash fests. Prepare for some SERIOUS modification and then the work vs reward isn't that great.
H2 -Thunderspire Labyrinth has an interesting main city for a quest hub/base of operations.
P2 - Demon Queen's Enclave is pretty interesting if you can get the character to work the "factions against each other" and avoid the combat slog.

The free RPG day supplement "Domains of Dread: Histhaven" is pretty good as well.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
I didn't run these using 4e but we really enjoyed Seekers of the Ashen Crown (minicampaign for Eberron), and one Eberron adventure from Dungeon. I can't remember its name. Forge-something, I think. It was set in Mournlands and had a warforged dragon in it.
You are thinking of Heart of the Forbidden Forge, Dungeon 155. I am fond of that one too, although I never ran it.

S'mon

Legend
The "original" series H1-3, P1-3, and E1-3 are spotty at best. Some have good ideas, but they all just bog down into combat encounter hack and slash fests. Prepare for some SERIOUS modification and then the work vs reward isn't that great.
H2 -Thunderspire Labyrinth has an interesting main city for a quest hub/base of operations.
P2 - Demon Queen's Enclave is pretty interesting if you can get the character to work the "factions against each other" and avoid the combat slog.

I think these two have by far the most potential of the HPE series. I'm planning to run P2 this year, making sure there is plenty of non-fighty stuff, and H2 likely next year.

Otherwise my favourite printed adventure is Sellswords of Punjar by Goodman Games, which I played in 2011 and just started GMing today! :cool:

Remove ads