So I finally saw the Fantastic Four...

Janx

Hero
Seems like it was because it was only 'as watchable as' rather than the better movie that it could have been, had they trusted their director ;)

I've heard some stories that the director went nuts.

Allegedly trashed the house that was rented for him to stay in while shooting the movie (one with the original families pics and stuff in it) and he trashed the family photos.

So, yeah, it's quite possible they had reason not to trust the director this time around.

Ryujin

Legend
I've heard some stories that the director went nuts.

Allegedly trashed the house that was rented for him to stay in while shooting the movie (one with the original families pics and stuff in it) and he trashed the family photos.

So, yeah, it's quite possible they had reason not to trust the director this time around.

Not in any way supporting that sort of behaviour but it did come AFTER they did a complete rewrite of the last half of the movie, tossing out his vision for it. That's also covered in the video that I linked.

Mercurius

Legend
@Ryujin, just because a sexy nerdgirl says something doesn't make it so ;). Seriously though, I did finally watch her review and basically agree. The biggest problem is after "one year later" and the insertion of a big blockbuster style monster fight onto what was more of what was a pretty good if flawed Ang Leeish approach to the Fantastic Four. If the first part had continued it could have been a pretty good film, but given the totality of it I think it becomes "OK."

But here's the thing: it is not nearly as bad as people say, which is mainly based upon nerdrage and disappointment. I think if people were able to approach the movie more impartially and without expectations, it would rank higher than the lower tier comic movies like Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Spawn, Superman IV, Ghost Rider, Elektra, etc...it is better than all of those, in my opinion. It is more along the lines of films like X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Batman Forever, Amazing Spiderman 2, the earlier Fantastic Four movies, Hulk, etc.

My biggest problem with the film, aside from the last part, is the poor use of actor resources. I loved Miles Teller in Whiplash, but he's like a different actor. Such a boring depiction of Reed Richards. Kata Mara somehow manages to be appealing, but could have been more interesting. Michael B Jordan is also much better than what we saw in this film.

Anyhow, the worst part is that they pretty much missed their chance with Doom. Even if they give it another shot and pull the franchise from the precipice of, ah, doom, they can't really re-do the shoddy job they did with Doctor Doom. That's tantamount to blowing it with Magneto in the first X-Men movie.

Ryujin

Legend
@Ryujin, just because a sexy nerdgirl says something doesn't make it so ;). Seriously though, I did finally watch her review and basically agree. The biggest problem is after "one year later" and the insertion of a big blockbuster style monster fight onto what was more of what was a pretty good if flawed Ang Leeish approach to the Fantastic Four. If the first part had continued it could have been a pretty good film, but given the totality of it I think it becomes "OK."

But here's the thing: it is not nearly as bad as people say, which is mainly based upon nerdrage and disappointment. I think if people were able to approach the movie more impartially and without expectations, it would rank higher than the lower tier comic movies like Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Spawn, Superman IV, Ghost Rider, Elektra, etc...it is better than all of those, in my opinion. It is more along the lines of films like X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Batman Forever, Amazing Spiderman 2, the earlier Fantastic Four movies, Hulk, etc.

My biggest problem with the film, aside from the last part, is the poor use of actor resources. I loved Miles Teller in Whiplash, but he's like a different actor. Such a boring depiction of Reed Richards. Kata Mara somehow manages to be appealing, but could have been more interesting. Michael B Jordan is also much better than what we saw in this film.

Anyhow, the worst part is that they pretty much missed their chance with Doom. Even if they give it another shot and pull the franchise from the precipice of, ah, doom, they can't really re-do the shoddy job they did with Doctor Doom. That's tantamount to blowing it with Magneto in the first X-Men movie.

If she had nothing more going for her than being hot, I wouldn't pay any attention to her ;) As it is, she does rather well researched analysis of movies. Look at her treatment of "Prometheus."

It seems that the jump to blockbuster movie style is the result of the producer rewrite. As stated in that video the reshoots become rather glaring, due to the crappy wig that they stick on Mara.

I didn't watch it but will buy it once its on DVD (January I believe).

Why?

To many changes from the original source. Jonny.... won't go there.

Thing.... pile of lose rocks held together somehow. Really???

And from there, there were so many hero / action movies out already- I needed to decide what I could afford to see and what I would wait for on Video.

The Fantastic Four can be a really good movie but they need to incorporate the 'family' with the action and get away from Doom. There are other villians that could be just as good, if not better. Doom has yet to be done correctly and at this point they need to move past him and maybe return later. Sub-Mariner, Annilhilus, Terrax (instead of the Surfer) would be good.

As a side note, My understanding is Marvel has the rights for Fantastic Four as a movie back but in turn allowed Paramount the rights to do X-men on TV (New Mutants anyone?)

If this is so, maybe we can get a better Fantastic Four movie.

Ryujin

Legend
I didn't watch it but will buy it once its on DVD (January I believe).

Why?

To many changes from the original source. Jonny.... won't go there.

Thing.... pile of lose rocks held together somehow. Really???

And from there, there were so many hero / action movies out already- I needed to decide what I could afford to see and what I would wait for on Video.

The Fantastic Four can be a really good movie but they need to incorporate the 'family' with the action and get away from Doom. There are other villians that could be just as good, if not better. Doom has yet to be done correctly and at this point they need to move past him and maybe return later. Sub-Mariner, Annilhilus, Terrax (instead of the Surfer) would be good.

... and Mole Man.

If you can find it (I think that it's still on Youtube), watch the Roger Corman version of "The Fantastic Four." It's truly horrible but the one saving grace, in my opinion, is that they got the portrayal of Doom pretty damned close. As in nuttyasafruitcake whacko.

Never thought of Doom as a "nuttyasafruitcake whacko" but okay. Especially with Marvel/Disney re-acquiring the rights to Fantastic Four movies I could see him being in each movie as a background villain fully used in the third movie. He is a power hungry self loving visions of grandeur manipulator with a healthy hatred of Reed Richards.

Ryujin

Legend
Never thought of Doom as a "nuttyasafruitcake whacko" but okay. Especially with Marvel/Disney re-acquiring the rights to Fantastic Four movies I could see him being in each movie as a background villain fully used in the third movie. He is a power hungry self loving visions of grandeur manipulator with a healthy hatred of Reed Richards.

How about "so far over the top that he can see the bottom again" instead? Since childhood I've always pictured Doom as being as flamboyant as a Shakespearean actor, throwing his lines to the back row. I'm talking moustache-twirling evil here, rather than intelligent and calculating evil.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
How about "so far over the top that he can see the bottom again" instead? Since childhood I've always pictured Doom as being as flamboyant as a Shakespearean actor, throwing his lines to the back row. I'm talking moustache-twirling evil here, rather than intelligent and calculating evil.

Must it be mutually exclusive? Can't intelligent calculating evil have a flare for theatrics and the ego that comes with it?

Pierre Trudeau sure did. ;)

Remove ads