D&D 5E The Fighter Problem

Corwin

Explorer
Feature or bug, it carries a small price in lack of consistency, and offers another small degree of freedom from design discipline.
I'm a fan of designs wherein the developers don't shoehorn themselves into arbitrary constraints simply because some people are "particular" about needing symmetrical constructs or some kind of artificially mandated uniformity. If it plays, well, well, it plays. And that's good enough for me.

A book does not need to be written solely of mallards for it to be a book about ducks.

Corwin

Explorer
What's your perspective on how that determination is made? How do you decide which class gets a subclass that's framed as a technique (e.g. Battle Master) vs. an organization (e.g. new Ranger conclaves) vs. a more narrative identity (e.g. Thief)? Is it just whatever the designer decides is best from an artistic standpoint without any underlying reasoning?
Bingo. Plus, of course, the nature of the source material helps frame it as well, ideally.

Corwin

Explorer
That inherent conflict between needs of a beginner player (or a "Story First" player) and needs of a veteran player (or a "Mechanics First")...
I have to question the validity of such couplings. Veteran players are "mechanics first"? Maybe in the case of you and yours. But it certainly isn't true of everyone. Or even, most.

Quickleaf

Legend
I have to question the validity of such couplings. Veteran players are "mechanics first"? Maybe in the case of you and yours. But it certainly isn't true of everyone. Or even, most.

You misunderstood.

The original entire quote was about the tug-of-war between designing a class as (A) Recognizable Archetype, and class as (B) Build Tool.

I wasn't saying all veterans are "mechanics first", nor that all new players are "story first".

I was saying that class as Recognizable Archetype is potentially important BOTH for new player and "story first" players.
And that class as Build Tool is potentially important BOTH for veteran players and "mechanics first" players.

Sorry, I thought that was clear.

[MENTION=6802951]Cap'n Kobold[/MENTION] I've discussed this topic with you before, and from what I recall we have very different views about D&D and we agreed to disagree. You embrace the "empty calorie" "agnostically informative" subclass design / class-as-mechanics-not-identity philosophy. OTOH, I embrace the "recognizable archetype" subclass design / class-as-an-identity philosophy. So, with both of us understanding our fundamental division being what it is and unlikely to change...
Yep. I was commenting on the way you were phrasing your questions and justifications: You were coming across as wanting additional fighter subclasses simply because other classes had more, which I do not believe was your intent.

Either I've been unclear or you've misunderstood. The reason I think the "CORE FOUR" classes all merit more subclasses is because those classes – cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard – encompass the greatest breadth of concepts. There are many types of wizard, fighter, etc. Whereas paladin, ranger, monk, and so forth encompass a narrower band of concepts due to specific flavor in those classes. It's absolutely NOT numbers for the sake of blind numerical symmetry.
I do not follow that logic:
I understand that the iconic core 4 encompass the greatest breadth of concepts.
I do not understand why that means that they must have more subclasses, particularly since of those 4, only the Rogue's subclasses are really tied in to the narrative concept.
Number of subclasses =/= number of possible concepts. You can have one subclass embodying a single concept, and another subclass that can embody almost any possible concept.

Players can provide concepts just fine. Subclasses are only necessary for mechanistic differentiation.
A samurai concept for example can quite easily be expressed with a Champion: Noble background, picking Mounted Combat feat and roleplayed a certain way by the player for example.
A samurai subclass is only necessary if the 'Samurai' concept requires actual samurai-specific rules and abilities.
Furthermore, the existence of an actual samurai subclass can put a crimp on the breadth of possible concepts, particularly for newer players, who may think that they need to have the samurai subclass to play a samurai narrative concept.

What IS important to me is the radically different priority the designers gave to "many subclasses for clerics & wizards." For example, I could easily imagine a wizard with just 3 subclasses (apologies for the rudimentary names): Blaster, Controller, and Scholar. That differentiates three major ways wizards are played mechanically.
Yep. Then the bonuses with specific spell schools could be a separate decision within the class, similar to the fighting style choice in the Fighter.
That would be a valid way that the wizard class could have been designed. It wasn't the one that was actually used - possibly because there is some correlation in spell schools and function, and the role of the wizard could simply be expressed by the player by their choice of spells instead. But it would still have worked.

Maybe that's another place where we differ. See, I find the distinction between Sorcerer and Wizard really weak because it's mainly mechanistic in nature.
That is pretty much what I was meaning: they both cover the "primary arcane spellcaster" concept, with the difference being the mechanics used to express that. The wizard is the equivalent of the champion in that sense: Much better at the basics of the role, while the battlemaster and sorcerer have the similarities of secondary resources, much higher on-demand nova potential at the expense of overall endurance and round-by-round flexibility. Both are capable of very similar concepts: the difference being in the nitty-gritty mechanics of the game.

They could do the same for the fighter's fighting styles, for example, turning "Great Weapon Fighter" into a subclass and attaching additional flavor to it, making them sound like Gregor Clegane or The Hound from GoT. Why I think they didn't do that, as opposed to the spell schools where they did do that, is because you can more easily think of Great Weapon Fighters who don't fit the mold of The Hound...because the fighter is based in reality more, or at least something we can relate to more. That's why fighting styles don't make good sub-classes – because they are just expressions of a specialization/technique, rather than an expression of a character.
Precisely: Just like the PHB Cleric and Wizard subclasses: Which deity a cleric worships, and what they are like is more important to narrative concept than the mechanistic choice of which domain they picked: A cleric of the Silver Flame is narratively very different from one of the Mockery for example even if both picked the War domain.

You like how the PHB Fighter subclasses aren't limited in scope to specific concepts.

What about other classes in the PHB? Do you like how the Rogue subclasses are more limited in scope? Do you feel there's a design mandate for some classes to have subclasses based upon specialization/technique whereas others are based on a more focused narrative concept? If so, which classes fit on which side of the equation and why?
I don't feel that the Rogue subclasses are too limited in scope: I can happily play an Assassin narrative concept using the Theif subclass for example: the name is just a title designating a particular package of special abilities and mechanics. I don't think that any specific class has a requirement for more narrative subclasses than any other. In fact I think that a class can have some very broad-concept subclasses and some more specific ones: such as the Fighter when you take into account the UA subclasses as well as the PHB ones.

I'm happy to stick with whatever works rather than worrying about symmetry or believing that number of subclasses indicates designer priorities. To my mind, the current setup in terms of subclass design works fine.
This Fighter class may have other design or balance issues, but I do not think that giving it more tightly-focused subclasses is a requirement for fixing them.

Quickleaf

Legend
I do not follow that logic:
I understand that the iconic core 4 encompass the greatest breadth of concepts.
I do not understand why that means that they must have more subclasses, particularly since of those 4, only the Rogue's subclasses are really tied in to the narrative concept.
Number of subclasses =/= number of possible concepts. You can have one subclass embodying a single concept, and another subclass that can embody almost any possible concept.

Players can provide concepts just fine. Subclasses are only necessary for mechanistic differentiation.

While technically you're right, # possible concepts is not directly proportional to # of subclasses, there is some relationship...

Imagine the game without subclasses.

You could still play an Evoker in such a game by running a Wizard and choosing evocation spells and taking the Soldier background and maybe the Elemental Adept feat. Is the Evocation subclass necessary to mechanistically differentiate an Evoker from a Diviner (who could equally just choose divination spells and a suitable background and maybe the Observant feat)? No, it's not necessary.

So subclasses are not only about mechanistic differentiation. They're also about narrative appeal and recognizable archetypes. The "war wizard throwing fireballs"? OK, I get that, I can see that guy. The "vizier foretelling the king's doom"? Yeah, I've seen a movie or read a book about that guy.

A samurai concept for example can quite easily be expressed with a Champion: Noble background, picking Mounted Combat feat and roleplayed a certain way by the player for example.
A samurai subclass is only necessary if the 'Samurai' concept requires actual samurai-specific rules and abilities.
Furthermore, the existence of an actual samurai subclass can put a crimp on the breadth of possible concepts, particularly for newer players, who may think that they need to have the samurai subclass to play a samurai narrative concept.

You can really do that exercise with every subclass. Assassin? Stealth & disguise kit expertise, proficiency poisoner's kit, buy some poisons, play a morally ambiguous character, maybe pick up a supporting feat. Voila! Cleric of Life? Load up on healing spells, maybe pick up a healing feat, and insist on healing surrendered enemies. Voila!

And that's why subclasses are about more that what you're reducing them to. Yes, some mechanistic differentiation of subclasses is fun, but it's not purely a mechanics exercise.

Again, I'm a "story first" GM who didn't like the mechanistic tunnel-vision 3e & 4e could slip into sometimes. So it's very likely you and I have different game aesthetics here, and can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
Again, I'm a "story first" GM...
Who isn't? I might could still use a better breakdown of what you mean by "story first". Because its still a little vague to me. Sorry if I'm just being dense and not picking up what you've been saying. But, I mean, I could easily use that as an accurate descriptor for a chronically railroading DM.

Corwin

Explorer
You can really do that exercise with every subclass. Assassin? Stealth & disguise kit expertise, proficiency poisoner's kit, buy some poisons, play a morally ambiguous character, maybe pick up a supporting feat. Voila!
Speaking of which, the only "assassin" (at least 3 rogue levels and taking that subclass) I've played in 5e thus far is a "one-man-one-ranger" style holy agent of his church. "Holy assassin" is a quick-and-dirty tag, I guess, sure. But not entirely accurate. He's not a killer for the church, though he kills when he must. And when he does he does with preternatural expertise.

So the subclass may inform you, "story first" wise. But not me. I use it as a method of getting 007 secret agent style gifts he uses to be an effective field agent for his faith.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The original entire quote was about the tug-of-war between designing a class as (A) Recognizable Archetype, and class as (B) Build Tool.
Nod. That reminds me: I'm pretty sure a (sub-)class - or, really, any game element - will generally do both. 'Fighter,' generic as it may be, still suggests at least a range of archetypes, and the idea of a 'fighter' is certainly recognizable even with no prior exposure to D&D (OK, as a boxer or an insurgent, but still, not entirely off base, not like reading 'Cleric' and thinking of clerical work...), and the abilities of the class deliver on the basic commonalities of that implied range of archetypes to a degree. Yet the class also works as a building block, adding martial skill to a character that needs more than it's current class(es) provide. It's got issues, like Extra Attack, but they're not a function of trying to present a recognizable archetype. Even the PDK sub-class has an option to scrub it off its Comyrean origins and 'membership' fluff and make it a more build-tool-appropriate 'banneret.' If anything, the impediments to using 5e (sub)-classes as build tools are more mechanical (sub-classes kicking in at different levels, the attendant inability to combine features locked away in two different subs of the same class, ASI's being linked to class rather than character level, etc) than in-support-of-archetype.

Quickleaf

Legend
Nod. That reminds me: I'm pretty sure a (sub-)class - or, really, any game element - will generally do both. 'Fighter,' generic as it may be, still suggests at least a range of archetypes, and the idea of a 'fighter' is certainly recognizable even with no prior exposure to D&D (OK, as a boxer or an insurgent, but still, not entirely off base, not like reading 'Cleric' and thinking of clerical work...), and the abilities of the class deliver on the basic commonalities of that implied range of archetypes to a degree. Yet the class also works as a building block, adding martial skill to a character that needs more than it's current class(es) provide. It's got issues, like Extra Attack, but they're not a function of trying to present a recognizable archetype. Even the PDK sub-class has an option to scrub it off its Comyrean origins and 'membership' fluff and make it a more build-tool-appropriate 'banneret.' If anything, the impediments to using 5e (sub)-classes as build tools are more mechanical (sub-classes kicking in at different levels, the attendant inability to combine features locked away in two different subs of the same class, ASI's being linked to class rather than character level, etc) than in-support-of-archetype.

Mhmm. There's a school of thought being promulgated in the discussion by [MENTION=6802951]Cap'n Kobold[/MENTION] and *I think* [MENTION=1560]Corwin[/MENTION], probably others as well, that a subclass is really entirely (or vastly predominantly) a mechanistic thing. They use subclass as a build tool, nothing more, and furthermore want the game designed to support that kind of approach. I would describe the Fighter subclasses as being born from that school of thought.

My thinking is more similar to yours, that a subclass (or any game element) should be a balanced combo of narrative and mechanics, but that the origin point, the conception of that subclass (or game element) needs to be narrative first – speaking of D&D here (not, for example, GURPS) – and then the mechanics are born out of that narrative second. Btw [MENTION=1560]Corwin[/MENTION] that's what I mean when I say "story first."

Last edited:

Remove ads