D&D 5E the dex warrior - why make a strength based one?

Corwin

Explorer
Heh, the old 'don't quote stealth response' paired with the 'nuh-uh, YOU are!' You're a fun bag of trick, Corwin, don't change!
Is it fun to feign the high ground? Irregardless, when are you going to get around to explaining what any of what you've said so far has to do with my original post you quoted?

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not sure that I follow exactly what was going on within the past few pages.

On the topic of ammunition, I'm of two minds:

1) Despite agreeing that ranged combat is maybe a little too good, I do find it odd that people say they don't bother to keep track of ammo, but then also complain that it's too easy for a ranged combatant to fire multiple shots per turn. To some extent, this has started to make me think "yeah, casting a bunch of spells is really easy if you don't keep track of spell slots."

2) It is actually fairly easy to carry a lot of ammo. One of my personal favorite things to do is to put a carrying-slings on crossbows and then carry more than one. Alternatively, you can (as others have said) have other people carry ammo for you, and this idea might be a reason to invest in something like a horse or a mule, which you would use to carry your spare ammo.

Tony Vargas

Legend
1) Despite agreeing that ranged combat is maybe a little too good, I do find it odd that people say they don't bother to keep track of ammo, but then also complain that it's too easy for a ranged combatant to fire multiple shots per turn. To some extent, this has started to make me think "yeah, casting a bunch of spells is really easy if you don't keep track of spell slots."
A valid comparison, really. If you're willing to apply in-narrative pressure to prevent frequent re-charging of a resource, and don't mind the bookkeeping burden of tracking the resource, a sufficient limit on the availability of that resource can 'balance' it.

Spell slots recharge with a long rest, you don't need to be in town or have specific materials available, you just rest and you have them back. Ammunition recharges with the expenditure of fairly trivial funds, in a place where it's available to buy, or, presumably, by making a survival or artisan (boyer/fletcher - there's precedent it goes back to 1e secondary skills!) check when the appropriate materials (reasonably straight sticks, feathers, metal points or flint) are available. The latter's probably /more/ situational than the former, so less suitable as a balancing factor.

2) It is actually fairly easy to carry a lot of ammo.
And cheap to buy. IIRC, the option to track ammo includes recovering ammo after a combat, too (it did back in the day, anyhow, and there's nothing unreasonable about it - what do you care if the next guy you shoot gets the goblin version of hep-C?).

Besides, not tracking ammo, like not tracking encumbrance, polishes 5e's 'rules lite' veneer.

Argyle King

Legend
I think you could argue that just about any game is 'rules lite' if you ignore some portion of the rules.

(There are some games I own and play which are modular and built with the assumption that not every rule is used.)

Ninja-radish

First Post
There are plenty of reasons to go Strength over Dex:

1. You can't finesse polearms. Polearm Master ftw!

2. Not everyone wants to use a glorified knitting needle for a weapon.

3. Not everyone wants to spend every session begging their DM for a magic rapier. Much less begging for a magic rapier AND a magic short sword.

4. Not everyone wants to play Westly from The Princess Bride. Inconceivable!!

5. Not everyone wants to play a Strength dumping 80 lb weakling who needs to cast Spider Climb to climb a ladder or Jump to hop over a puddle.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
There are plenty of reasons to go Strength over Dex:

1. You can't finesse polearms. Polearm Master ftw!

2. Not everyone wants to use a glorified knitting needle for a weapon.

3. Not everyone wants to spend every session begging their DM for a magic rapier. Much less begging for a magic rapier AND a magic short sword.

4. Not everyone wants to play Westly from The Princess Bride. Inconceivable!!

5. Not everyone wants to play a 90 lb weakling who needs to cast Spider Climb to climb a ladder or Jump to hop over a puddle.

If I remember correctly crossbow expertise and sharpshooter coupled with precision attack is essentially comparable DPR to the polearm master and GWM and precision attack even when the reaction attack is considered going off 1-2 times per combat. (+2 hit from archery style helps a lot here). Crossbow expertise eliminates the melee drawbacks. Then I'm left with superior range and initiative compared to losing out on OA's. Honestly if I'm the archer Fighter I'm all for enemies ignoring me and going after someone else. My Damage is high enough that such a strategy won't work well for almost any enemy. My range is high enough that even if an enemy does this I can still attack it the next turn.

Now if you take feats out of the running then you are actually helping GW fighters in comparison to archer Fighters. Though then the rapier as you mentioned is just mechanically better than a great weapon. Only slightly less DPR and +2 AC from a shield. WOOT! Honestly I don't think rapiers should be a 1d8 finesse weapon but that's a different story.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
If I remember correctly crossbow expertise and sharpshooter coupled with precision attack is essentially comparable DPR to the polearm master and GWM and precision attack even when the reaction attack is considered going off 1-2 times per combat. (+2 hit from archery style helps a lot here). Crossbow expertise eliminates the melee drawbacks. Then I'm left with superior range and initiative compared to losing out on OA's.
Don't forget to carry the '1' and divide by pi...

Argyle King

Legend
How do OAs interact with reach weapons in 5th?

I rarely see people in the games I've been in use reach weapons, so I'm not well-versed in how it plays out.

As I understand it, 5E OAs only trigger when leaving a creature's threatened area. Is this still the same when a creature has reach? In other games/editions, you would someone approaching a PC with reach would take attacks while trying to get close. How does it work in 5th?

Remove ads