Arguments and assumptions against multi classing

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
With the whole Odin vs. the fiend thing, I've always thought of Odin as someone that takes the long view, he could quite possibly be fine with what the fiend is doing because he has plots and plans that will unravel the fiends plans in the end restoring Odin's champion to his rightful place.

5ekyu

Hero
"And whoever said whirled peas, I dont know what they are. "

When i make them, it invilvoes butter, evaporated milk or heavy cream, a bit of salt and garlic and possibly mushrooms.

While i find them quite tasty, i cannot fathom how they are so popular among beauty contest contestants because so many of them say they hope for whirled peas when their QnA section comes up. maybe its the fasting thing and they are ready for the post-pageant chow down.

pemerton

Legend
There is this idea among some players that D&D is a competition, of which the only goal is to win, and gamesmanship is completely applicable. "Anything that gives my PC an advantage that is not specifically prohibited by the rules is fair game and necessary on my path to victory."
I don't know if you've read Gary Gygax's advice on "successful adventuring" in the closing pages of his PHB (before the Appendices). It contains advice on planning party composition, equipment load outs, spell load outs, magic item selection, all of which is oriented to "winning" (ie successfully exploring and looting the dungeon) and none of which pertains to "fluff" or characterisation or anything of that sort.

There is also advice on how to avoid being distracted or misled by the various lures and "tricks" the GM places in his/her dungeon.

I don't play D&D in that Gygaxian style, but there is certainly a long tradition of it: it was the original way of playing the game.

We all see these people, the people who believe the "DM should be completely neutral and just follow the rules" but completely miss the long hold rule (and most other stuff that's bad for them) that its the DM call and its final. It isn't a competition, players don't "beat" the DM.
But in Gygaxian play they do beat the GM's dungeon. And in this style of play the GM should be neutral - once the dungeon is mapped out and stocked, the GM's role is to be a neutral arbiter (like a wargame referee - hence those early terms for GMs "referee" and "judge").

To reiterate, I don't play Gygaxian D&D, but I don't deny that it's a real thing. I do think that the tend in the modern game to shift the emphasis in respect of preparation from equipment and spell load out to mechanical minutiae of PC build complicates this sort of wargaming play, and makes it more prone to breaking, but that's really a separate point.

What I see here in some cases is players MC to gain a perceived advantage in a competition that doesn't exist against an enemy that isn't there.
In modern D&D (really beginning with Players' Options in the mid-to-late 90s, and consolidated with 3E) all all PC building is apt to be aimed at gaining an advantage. Just like, in the classic game, choosing equipment and choosing spell load outs was assumed by Gygax to be aimed at gaining an advantage. It's part of how someone builds up their player-side resources to gives themselves the best chance at beating the challenges the game will confront them with.

No doubt back in 1978 there was someone who built a fighter PC wearing leather armour and wielding a shortsword because s/he thought it was cool, even though it was - in mechanical terms - quite suboptimal. Not everyone followed Gygax's advice. Likewise, today, I'm sure there are plenty of 5e players who choose PC build elements not because they think they are mechanically effective but because they like the "flavour" (what it means to like the flavour of a feat or a spell - which is primarily a mechanical rather than a story element - is a further question that I put to one side for the moment). But there are clearly many others who don't choose in that way.

Choosing a multi-class option because it is mechanically effective doesn't seem to me any more or less outrageous than choosing for your fighter to use a longsword rather than a mace, or choosing for your MU to prepare spells in the morning rather than take the day off and go around with no spells prepped, or choosing for your thief to take the Mobility feat because it will help you set up your sneak attacks, or whatever else.

Technically the DM never "wins:"
That's because, even in Gygaxian play, the GM is a judge, not a competitor. But the GM in that sort of play can feel satisfaction if his/her tricks, mazes, etc cause trouble for or outwit the players!

if the DM kills them all the group has to start over (a loss for everyone)
In Gygaxian play this is not a loss for the GM. The GM doesn't lose because the players had to roll up new PCs.

if the DM miscalculates something and it results in a TPK the players say "What the hell was that?"
Again, you are making assumptions about approaches to play that don't hold good in all styles. In Gygaxian play there are conventions that govern creature placement in dungeons (the deeper the level, the more dangerous the monsters) - so if a GM departs widly and capriciously from those conventions, then the players can justly call it a killer dungeon. But if the GM builds a dungeon that conforms to the conventions, then a TPK is on the players - they should have scouted better, or tried to escape when they started losing, etc.

In my 4e game, there was a "TPK" at 3rd level when the PCs were defeated by a mechanically fair although deceptively framed encounter. That's a possible consequence of playing a game with wargame-style combat resolution. (I put "TPK" in inverted commas because, in fact, only 2 PCs died while the other 3 found themselves taken prisoner - zero hp in 4e doesn't have to mean literal death.)

The DM is the director and set manager of a improv theatre, the players are all actors and assistant directors.
That's one style of play - where everything ultimately is decided by the GM with other participants having the right to make suggestions. It's along way from how I prefer to play and GM, though.

How many times have you played and see the DM miss something that bad for your PC and you stepped in to remind the DM?
I can't remember in my own case, as I GM far more than I play. But me and my players do our best to remember all applicable modifiers. When we're playing Cortex+, for instance, players will remind me to include their stress dice in my pools if I've forgotten to do so.

There's a significant difference, in my view, between playing hard and pushing for advantage to the extent that the rules of the game permit, and cheating or deception.

Like I said I would allow and break MC rules for an MC idea as long as you have a good backstory and good idea on how it all fits together.

<snip>

The biggest problem I had was the Player is "in" on the PC deception, he knew from the beginning his PC was being deceived and tricked and used that to get the MC he wanted without any repercussions of course. To me that's like starting off as a Paladin and just planning your downfall without consulting your DM just so you can get into the Oathbreaker oath, which is DM controlled: "At the DM's discretion, an impenitent paladin might be forced to abandon this class and adopt another, or perhaps to take the Oathbreaker paladin option that appears in the Dungeon Master's Guide." It seems to me the DM needs to be in on that from the very beginning, starting with "I want to try out the Oathbreaker option, what are the ideas that fit into the campaign so we can make this work for everyone."
As I said, I find the approach of the GM opening up or closing off options because s/he likes or doesn't like the player's idea unappealing.

If the option is mechanically broken - an error in the game design - then the group should be able to agree not to go there regardless of the quality of any backstory. And if the option is not mechanically broken, then a player is entitled to choose it like any other option even if s/he is not very imaginative in relation to PC backstory.

As far as [MENTION=6799649]Arial Black[/MENTION]'s idea is concerned, I didn't see any issues with it and I don't understand your complaint. If it would be fine if the GM invented it, why is it suddenly a problem because the player invented it?

he did say Odin is not omniscient (that's not true, there is no rule that explicitly states that, its up to the DM) and of course he KNOWS that Odin doesn't know anything about this particular relationship (how would the player know that to be true?, Its also up the DM.) He is forcing these ideas on the DM to create a PC.

You don't think that's limiting on how the DM presents Odin?
When players play devout characters - in D&D that's mostly clerics and paladins - I assume that they are capable of taking the lead on what the god is about, what it means to be faithful or unfaithful, etc. If I have my own ideas I met inject them with due care, but I've got enough to think about when running a game without also managing a player's implementation of his/her PC's religous conscience.

The biggest DM problem in a general sense is Omniscience. If some being is omniscient then in a sense the DM is always metagaming the players, which probably isn't good for the table. It also rules out even a god-like being every being able to get one over on that god.

In the instant case this could be resolved by Odin knowing what is going on, allowing it to continue, then showing himself to the PC and telling the PC exactly what is being done to them and by whom. To me this presents the PC with a choice of

1. going along with it, so keep advancing in Warlock class but cutting off Paladin class:

2. rejection and revenge against the patron but not siding with the real Odin (for tricking the PC.)

<snip>

3. or a new path with the actual Odin using 2 above or some other idea.
Or there is the even easier option, which Arial Black already suggested, of assuming that Odin doesn't know that this would-be worshipper is being tricked. I'm missing the reason not to go along with the player's idea for his/her PC.

you are definitely being disingenuous if you really want to claim that his core backstory as presented <snippage> was "forcing" the DM to present Odin in a particular way. And even if it was, it certainly was not forcing the presentation of Odin that you originally claimed in your post that I was responding to.
As per my long-ish post a few pages upthread, I want to push a bit on this.

The idea that the GM gets to decide everything about the gods, in the context of a game which allows players to play PCs whose powers, and whole raisons d'etre, are all about their connections to those gods, is a recipe for railroading, conflict, and mediocre RPGing. It's a recipe for the player of those PCs being about either guessing what the GM thinks about the god, or spending your time trying to find out what the GM thinks about the god and then according with that.

What a sucky game!

I think Paladins are very good and great fun to play with the right DM. By right I mean enforces your Oath and alignment and pushes you into moral dilemmas for which you need to find creative solutions for or are stripped of powers and forced to quest to atone for ( a personal dangerous adventure.)
Any DM who sees the word 'paladin' on a character sheet who is then triggered to do their utmost to try and strip their RAW abilities away is showing themselves to be the wrong DM!
Paladins are my favourite archetype in FRPGing. Of the last six characters I've played, five have been paladins (in thematic terms: mechanical implementation has varied depending on system).

In my past 20 years of GMing, I've also had paladin PCs in the party for 15+ years (again, mechanical implementation varying with system).

As a GM I have zero interest in telling a player how to run his/her PC. If the player has chosen to play a devout holy warrior, I assume that s/he has some conception of what that means, and will play accordingly. I will certainly present thematic challenges for that PC (here's an example of what I mean by that), just as I will for all the PCs - that's my job in the sort of games I GM - but the paladin isn't in any sort of special place here.

My response to the idea that playing a paladin means having to guess the "creative solution" that accords with the GM's moral sensibilities is prety similar to Arial Black's - I would run a mile from that game.

How this fits into what I'm saying; first, cooperation is best, no-one disagrees with that.

Second, sure the DM can say "you feel angry". But I, the player of that PC, can say "Actually, I was expecting this so I don't feel angry, but I'll pretend to, just to let him think he's riled me".

Or, I can go with it.

It's up to me.
What I'm saying is that I don't see that the player should be able to unilaterally veto that any more than s/he can unilaterally veto the GM saying "You're cut and bleeding from being stabbed by a goblin".

Of course it depends on the system details, but eg in 4e a PC can take psychic damage which reflects emotional stress. In Marvel Heroic RP/Cortex+ Heroic, a PC can suffer emotional or mental stress or trauma and doesn't get to unilaterally veto it.

If PCs only ever suffer emotionally when a player decides so, I think this cuts off story possibilities. There may be particular RPGs where that's OK, though they're probably not going to be my favourites: so even moreso I don't think it's any sort of general principle for good RPGing.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Which is pretty much standard. But it's worth noting that he only mentioned that there is nothing inherently within D&D that says that Odin must know, and only said this in response to your allegation, not as a part of the core presentation/paradigm.

Within D&D or within 5e? Within D&D that statement is false. Withing 5e it's true. In 3e a greater god like Odin has these abilities.

1." Greater deities automatically sense any event that involves their portfolios, regardless of the number of people involved. In addition, their senses extend one week into the past and one week into the future for every divine rank they have." - Since a priest or paladin of a god by his very nature champions his god's portfolios, any interference with the priest or paladin is an event that involves a portfolio and would automatically be noticed.

2. "Remote Sensing:As a standard action, a deity of rank 1 or higher can perceive everything within a radius of one mile per rank around any of its worshipers, holy sites, or other objects or locales sacred to the deity. This supernatural effect can also be centered on any place where someone speaks the deity’s name or title for up to 1 hour after the name is spoken, and at any location when an event related to the deity’s portfolio occurs (see the deity descriptions for details)." - The paladin will be speaking the name Odin when dealing with the fiend and in gaining his abilities for the day. This will draw Odin's attention as both a follower and one who is speaking his name.

Odin would know what's up between the character and the fiend in 3e. 5e, however, doesn't get into what abilities the gods have, so it's up to the DM whether or not Odin would know.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Within D&D or within 5e? Within D&D that statement is false. Withing 5e it's true. In 3e a greater god like Odin has these abilities.

1." Greater deities automatically sense any event that involves their portfolios, regardless of the number of people involved. In addition, their senses extend one week into the past and one week into the future for every divine rank they have." - Since a priest or paladin of a god by his very nature champions his god's portfolios, any interference with the priest or paladin is an event that involves a portfolio and would automatically be noticed.

2. "Remote Sensing:As a standard action, a deity of rank 1 or higher can perceive everything within a radius of one mile per rank around any of its worshipers, holy sites, or other objects or locales sacred to the deity. This supernatural effect can also be centered on any place where someone speaks the deity’s name or title for up to 1 hour after the name is spoken, and at any location when an event related to the deity’s portfolio occurs (see the deity descriptions for details)." - The paladin will be speaking the name Odin when dealing with the fiend and in gaining his abilities for the day. This will draw Odin's attention as both a follower and one who is speaking his name.

Odin would know what's up between the character and the fiend in 3e. 5e, however, doesn't get into what abilities the gods have, so it's up to the DM whether or not Odin would know.

While I would like to see an update of the Deities and Demigods book from years ago I dont think we will. The economics of publishing it probably doesnt work.

Arial Black

Adventurer
Most of this post has already been addressed, but this part needs my personal response:-

Arial Blacks idea was actually the closest to a plausible idea. The biggest problem I had was the Player is "in" on the PC deception, he knew from the beginning his PC was being deceived and tricked and used that to get the MC he wanted without any repercussions of course. To me that's like starting off as a Paladin and just planning your downfall without consulting your DM just so you can get into the Oathbreaker oath, which is DM controlled: "At the DM's discretion, an impenitent paladin might be forced to abandon this class and adopt another, or perhaps to take the Oathbreaker paladin option that appears in the Dungeon Master's Guide." It seems to me the DM needs to be in on that from the very beginning, starting with "I want to try out the Oathbreaker option, what are the ideas that fit into the campaign so we can make this work for everyone."

Part of what I was going for was to avoid falling! I absolutely did not want to become an Oathbreaker paladin! I was going to become a Vengeance paladin, already set up in many ways including specific revenge on the pirate captain who murdered my own PC's captain.

I wanted to experience the frisson of playing a PC who is highly motivated to appear to be evil, ruthless, and terrifying, while actually remaining good, and achieving that by being terrifying!

How can you terrify people like other pirate captains while avoiding becoming evil yourself? That is what I was going for with this PC.

I'd even worked out some tricks. The old darkness?Devil's Sight combo, "I'll make you remember why you fear the dark!", and the old Batman gambit of the baddies actually killing each other in the darkness while I went and rescued someone using Mask of Many Faces so I didn't appear heroic.

I took great pains to let people assume I was the undead revenant of my murdered captain. Every time I opened my visor (think Judge Fear if you're familiar with Judge Dredd) I used MoMF to show a different face. When I wanted to intimidate a captive I would open my visor to reveal a face like Spawn with his mask off. I could use illusions to make my hand appear to reach into their chest and pull out their still beating heart, while in reality my hand is just resting on their chest and the chill from armour of Agathys helps the con. All that should be worth advantage on that Intimidation check!

What are the evil pirates going to do? Call some paladins to help them? And if they did, cool! Another great role-playing challenge!

I thought it would be great fun to play! It was. :D

Arial Black

Adventurer
That raises an interesting question. Are there any published D&D settings around in which the gods like Odin are omniscient?[/QUOTE

I don't know. However I have never seen any that say as an absolute rule that "gods in D&D are not omniscient." I would think its up to the DM as to what gods are used and what their knowledge level is. In the Deities and Demigods book there was various references in each pantheon as to what each god knows, but IDR any blanket statement. I do remember a few that are neat though, the God Math gave himself the power to hear whenever his own name is spoken, and Death in Newhon (I think) instantly knows the entire life of any being he even glances at.

Obviously though this gets into greater theology questions. For example, a unique view in Christianity is that God is Omniscient and All-Powerful, and that Satan is but a loyal servant carrying out his task to test people. These are deeper questions though then for the game purposes.

In polytheism, its almost never the case that one god knows everything and is all powerful. They break up each part of life into a separate sphere of influence. If you are a person in D&D, a citizen of the fantasy world, this is a good idea, if you have a lot of Gods you believe in then you can have a lot of Gods on your side. With the right worship you can get the whole team.

Exactly!

Monotheism allows the God to have these absolute qualities like 'omniscient', but as soon as there are many gods then each god has limits. To be omniscient in a pantheon would require a mythology which gave that ability, pretty rare in our real world mythologies.

Odin himself had a great chair from which he could see the worlds, and his ravens flew over the world each day and reported back each evening, so that's a LOT of info. But not omniscient. Those ravens cannot hear every conversation simultaneously, and Odin's chair only lets him see where he wants to see; it doesn't show him everything at once whether he wants it or not.

As to the possibilities of Odin doesn't know/doesn't care/can't do anything about it, add this possibility: Odin doesn't exist in this DM's game world, and the village that worships him (where my PC was raised) EITHER is deluding themselves about his existence (I won't mention real world parallels) OR that Odin doesn't exist but The Fiend has been pretending to be Odin for them all, not just my PC!

When I first talked about this PC with the DM, I mentioned all of these possibilities. The DM was totally free to choose any of them, or make up his own, and the character concept would still work. What the truth about 'Odin' actually was might make a difference to future campaign events, but whatever happened I expected the drama to be enjoyable.

The DM could also have shut down my idea from the get-go, because....well, it would boil down to being precious about not allowing player ideas into his world. But why would a reasonable DM want to do that? It would mean that I couldn't play that PC. Since it's impossible to create a PC without imposing an idea onto the DM's world, that would mean I couldn't create ANY PC! Is that how the game is played?

smbakeresq

Explorer
I have been trying to figure out a paladin/swashbuckler that is plausible. I am a big fan of the old movie Captain Blood, with Errol Flynn. Blood is clearly and honorable man bound by his ethics, so that sounds like an Oath to me. He is made into a swashbuckler through circumstance. I just need to work out with the DM how to get him into a situation that takes him from Paladin into Swashbuckler. In the movie it was being wrongly convicted and sold into slavery. That's ok for me, but that means the group would have to be in on it also, unless I leave the group for a while.

Arial Black

Adventurer
I have been trying to figure out a paladin/swashbuckler that is plausible. I am a big fan of the old movie Captain Blood, with Errol Flynn. Blood is clearly and honorable man bound by his ethics, so that sounds like an Oath to me. He is made into a swashbuckler through circumstance. I just need to work out with the DM how to get him into a situation that takes him from Paladin into Swashbuckler. In the movie it was being wrongly convicted and sold into slavery. That's ok for me, but that means the group would have to be in on it also, unless I leave the group for a while.

That's one perfectly fine way to do it, but there is another way which avoids the heartache:-

Bear with me. :D

Back in AD&D 1e/2e, multiclass PCs were always multiclass from level 1.

For single class and MC PCs alike, the idea was that you were trained from a young age in the skills you need to eventually become...whatever class (or classes) you are at level 1.

Since 3e it is impossible to actually be a MC PC in game mechanics terms at 1st level, but that doesn't take away the concept of having been trained from a young age to have the abilities of two (or more) classes; it just means that you cannot access the abilities of a second class until you have killed 300 XP worth of goblins!

Since 3e, you don't need training to level up, you just need the XPs (and maybe a bit of a rest). TBH, we NEVER used the training rules in 1e/2e either. The consequence of that is crucial.

Let's take a 5e class at random. *rolls* A wizard! Okay, once the young kid has been trained to be a 1st level wizard, they don't need any more training to get from level 1 to level 20, just experience. It must be assumed that the seeds of those higher level abilities already exist within them, but can only be used once the wizard has the experience to be 2nd level, 3rd, 4th, whatever level they need to 'gain' that 'new' ability.

That concept is core to the 5e rules.

So for a MC PC, the same concept applies! If you want it to.

Just as for a single class PC, and just like in 1e/2e, the kid was trained in the knowledge of both classes before they were even a 1st level PC. But MC PCs, just like SC PCs!, cannot access all of their abilities straight away, those abilities remain seeds until experience causes them to bloom.

So, yeah, your paladin might very well have only been trained as a paladin as a kid, and they only get rogue abilities after being kidnapped. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But your PC might very well have been trained as a kid with the skills that will eventually blossom into the abilities from both classes all along, and the seed of each ability only blossoms with experience (and your player choice of which class to take on level up). Nothing wrong with that either, and it has the advantage that you don't need your PC to take a year's sabbatical in order to take a level in rogue.

What are you using for swashbuckler, and why would you need a specific situation to take the character into it?
Is there an existing class/spec that is a Swashbuckler? What about the class mechanics precludes simply learning to do those things just as a lower level character learns to use their higher level abilities?
Paladins aren't required to use heavy armour or weapons. Nothing stops a paladin from swashing it up with a rapier and buckler and showing a bit more style than the usual paladin stereotype.

Remove ads