D&D 5E Reactions and Multi Attacks

Rage Seth

First Post
Hmmm seems as if I brought up a tricky question. I agree that I thought extra and multi attacks would be one action but some disagree so I'm not sure which way to go on it.

redrick

First Post
Hmmm seems as if I brought up a tricky question. I agree that I thought extra and multi attacks would be one action but some disagree so I'm not sure which way to go on it.

Yeah, Multi-Attack is a little tricky and, personally, I find it a distinction that complicates, rather than simplifies things for the DM. I guess it is supposed to model two-weapon fighting, multi-limbed creatures, etc, in a way that PC rules do not.

That being said, I would look at Page 6 of the DM Basic rules, which say, "A creature that can make multiple attacks on its turn has the Multiattack ability. A creature can't use Multiattack when making an opportunity attack, which must be a single melee attack." Now, as we've established above, a readied action is not an opportunity attack, but, seeing as readied actions for PCs basically limit them to the same output as an opportunity attack (or a different action, or a movement), it seems consistent to apply that to NPCs as well. After all, a two-weapon fighting PC cannot ready an attack action and then take a bonus action to make an off-hand attack on his turn.

It seems to be a deliberate design choice in 5e to greatly limit what can be done as a "readied action", so as to discourage players from simply trying to delay their turn.

The "on it's turn" language clarifies things for me.
Yeah, I think the RAW + Crawford makes the official intent pretty clear.

However, since this seems to me like it cheats warrior classes out of a lot of their damage as a penalty for playing cleverly, I'm inclined to run my game the other way.

Li Shenron

Legend
I agree that by the RAW and seemingly RAI as well, you won't get more than one attack as a reaction by using Ready if you have the Extra Attack feature. "Specific trumps general", Extra Attack is more specific than Ready, and unfortunately it mentions that it works only on your turn.

I don't know if this is fair or not. Cast a spell is an action than can be used as a reaction via Ready, but then there is an added cost (the need for concentration between Ready and Cast). So one hand, you can use the full 'power' of spellcasting with Ready, but with a complication, so I am not sure if you should be allowed to use the full 'power' of multiple attacks.

But I don't think it would break the game to allow it, you are just doing the same amount of attacks that you could do in a round, just trying to get some advantage by waiting, but you always risk losing them all if the trigger doesn't occur.

redrick

First Post
I agree that by the RAW and seemingly RAI as well, you won't get more than one attack as a reaction by using Ready if you have the Extra Attack feature. "Specific trumps general", Extra Attack is more specific than Ready, and unfortunately it mentions that it works only on your turn.

I don't know if this is fair or not. Cast a spell is an action than can be used as a reaction via Ready, but then there is an added cost (the need for concentration between Ready and Cast). So one hand, you can use the full 'power' of spellcasting with Ready, but with a complication, so I am not sure if you should be allowed to use the full 'power' of multiple attacks.

But I don't think it would break the game to allow it, you are just doing the same amount of attacks that you could do in a round, just trying to get some advantage by waiting, but you always risk losing them all if the trigger doesn't occur.

I think the cost to leveled spells is good enough to match the restriction to weapon attacks, since there's a good chance to lose the spell slot entirely. The wrinkle seems to favor cantrips most of all, as those are single attacks that scale with caster level. On the other hand, you still need concentration to ready the cantrip, which means that a) it breaks any other concentration spell, and b) it can be disrupted by an attack and a failed concentration save. So it feels like things are a little trickier for everybody when it comes to readied attacks, and that is clearly the design goal. Discourage people from trying to min/max their turn order by delaying initiative.

Scorpio616

First Post
So it feels like things are a little trickier for everybody when it comes to readied attacks, and that is clearly the design goal.
Yeah, warlocks get the best cantrip ready overall, but have to give up that Hex that could have lasted all day otherwise.

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Players can only do it on their turn because the Extra Attack feature says "on your turn". Monsters don't get the same wording. Although I don't see any harm in limiting them similarly if you want.

As [MENTION=6777696]redrick[/MENTION] pointed out upthread, Multiattack has similar wording that limits its use to the monster's turn only.

Dungeon Master's Basic Rules said:
MULTIATTACK

A creature that can make multiple attacks on its turn has the Multiattack ability. A creature can’t use Multiattack when making an opportunity attack, which must be a single melee attack.

This would seem to imply that Multiattack does not give a creature the ability to make multiple attacks when it's not its turn.

Remove ads