D&D 5E Little rules changes that still trip you up

The_Gneech

Explorer
One thing I always have a hard time remembering is the shape of cube spell.

I'm used to envisioning them as surrounding the caster, instead of emanating from them.

So, I get thunderwaves that effect 15 ft around the caster instead of a 15 ft cube the place next to them

Been there, done that, got ten dead bandits to show for it. Oops. ¬.¬

Looked it up between sessions and explained the correct ruling to the players the next time out tho, we won't make that mistake again.

-TG :cool:

the new intelligence rules for wizards
Originally looked at the table and thought my 14 intelligence wizard (example for argument) the numbers listed on the table. Now i'm confused on how many they know/can cast as compared to a 19 intelligence.

the Jester

Legend
I even gave the PC's a magic item that grants Inspiration. It's a mirror with the words "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh-darn it people like me" written on it in 4 languages (elvish, dwarvish, orcish, and common). Read the inscription and you get Inspired (1 use per day)!

Awesome! I have a ton of magic items that interact with the inspiration rules (and the bardic inspiration rules). For instance:

Flute of Perfect Inspiration
Wondrous item, very rare (requires attunement by a proficient creature)

If a creature that you can see within 30' other than yourself spends a bardic inspiration die while you hold this flute, you can use your reaction to play a tune to inspire it yet further. The creature rolls two inspiration dice and takes the better one.

In addition, if a creature that you can see within 30' other than yourself rolls with advantage because it uses its inspiration, you can use your reaction to play a tune to inspire it yet further. The creature rolls 3d20s instead of two and chooses the one it prefers.

Inspirational Elixir
Potion, uncommon

When you drink this potion, if you are a bard, you regain one spent bardic inspiration die.

Medallion of Inspiration
Wondrous item, uncommon

Whenever you use your inspiration to make a roll with advantage, you also gain 5 temporary hit points.

Ring of Rhyming
Ring, common

This ring compels you to speak in rhyme. If you speak without rhyming, you lose inspiration and can't get it (including from another pc) until you complete a long rest.

Once this ring is on your finger, it clings tenaciously to you and can't be removed without a remove curse spell.

Wand of Inspired Alacrity
Wand, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster)

While you use this wand as a spellcasting focus, you can expend your inspiration to cast a spell that normally has a casting time of 1 action with a bonus action instead.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Here's one that I messed up a year or two ago (and it actually led to the death of a PC).

At that point, I had assumed that death saves acted like saves from 4e so they happened at the end of your turn rather than the beginning. Two PCs were down with nobody near to help them. One of them was at 2 failed death saves. The other rolled a "20" and got up to 1 hp, but I ended his turn. That's when the other PC rolled a final failing death save and perished. If I had allowed the recovered PC to act on his turn, he could have at least tried to stabilize the other...oops, all good, the player who played the dead pc wanted to try a new one anyway.

Rhenny

Adventurer
You get to act if you roll a 20?

I also thought that ended your turn

Yeah, this month's Sage Advice reminded me of the mistake.

Here's the text from Sage Advice:

Do you get a turn after rolling a 20 on your death saving throw or does your turn end as you stabilize? You make a death save when your turn starts. If you roll a 20, the 1 hp you gain lets you then take your turn.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Interesting that there are more people than I expected being surprised by the sage advice clarification on death saves - when reading that article I was thinking "that's a silly question to ask", but I guess it was easier than I thought for people to not realize "Whenever you start your turn with 0 hit points, you must make a special saving throw..." at the beginning of talking about death saving throws meant you save at the start of your turn.

Between the fact that most "on your turn" saves are rolled at the end, and that in 4E--the game that introduced death saves--they were at the end, it was a pretty easy miss.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I always mess up cover. I started 4e where allies don't provide cover. Then Pathfinder where there are so many cover penalties range is nearly useless. 5e back to cover, but much more reasonable, and for range focused characters they even give you a bonus to negate allies' cover, plus feats to ignore it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Remove ads