Do We Really Need Half-Elves and Half-Orcs?

Sadras

Legend
I don't usually have gnomes in my campaigns...the players hate them...will attempt to murder them or do harm on sight. I should run a game where the players are slaves in a Gnomish Empire....

But why do their characters hate them?
And unless the gnomes are evil, the question arises Are the characters generally evil?

delericho

Legend
Do we really need humans? They see so boring and cliche to me. :roll:

I know this is intended as a joke, but... no, even humans aren't strictly needed. Granted, the vast majority of settings (and RPGs) will allow for human PCs, but there's no particular reason why they must be present.

(Consider, if you will, a Cybertron-based Transformers game, or one based on the old cartoon "Reboot". Or "My Little Pony"... not that anyone would be crazy enough to write such a thing. In fantasy a fairly common trope is that elves and others emerged before humans did, so you could set a game in that ancient time readily enough. Or, indeed, do a variant "Dark Sun" where the Sorcerer Kings are all gnomes and it was humans who were hunted to extinction. Or whatever, really.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
(Consider, if you will, a Cybertron-based Transformers game, or one based on the old cartoon "Reboot". Or "My Little Pony"... not that anyone would be crazy enough to write such a thing.

*cough*MyLittlePony:TalesOfEquestria*cough*

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
And we then went to pointing out the ways in which this wasn't the best reason. I mean, a GM can still do that, but... it just isn't a very good reason. There are good reasons. This just isn't one of them.
I have yet to see a strong enough justification by a DM for removing a PC race from play. “Because the setting....” doesn’t cut it.

Homebrew worlds aren’t really going to be any different. The setting will get by if you allow a tiefling or a dragonborn or a drow. None are so game changing as to undo the feel of a setting. Or perhaps if they are, then there really isn’t much to the setting to begin with.

A person specifically said that a race not fitting the setting "doesn't cut it" as a reason for not allowing a player to play a particular race, and went on to state that if adding arbitrary races that don't exist in the world undoes the feel of the setting, that the fault lies with the setting. Three people gave XP for the post. There is a long running discussion where at least one person insists that following the world background for Ravenloft is bad if a player wants to play a gnome in the setting, and feels that extensive argument for such a ruling simply isn't enough. So I am weighing in against that sentiment, this thread is not just about 'oh I don't like half elves so I'm banning them' any more.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I know this is intended as a joke, but... no, even humans aren't strictly needed. Granted, the vast majority of settings (and RPGs) will allow for human PCs, but there's no particular reason why they must be present.

You don't even need the setting actually - you could run a campaign where the world is typical D&D, but players are all members of one of the 'monster' races and see humans only as obstacles. Playing a bunch of kobolds making their way against softskins is certainly a reasonable setup for a campaign.

But why do their characters hate them?
And unless the gnomes are evil, the question arises Are the characters generally evil?

I think it's a throw-back from the annoying Dragonlance gnomes with the silly names and annoying personalities. The players just can't get over it. To be honest, even outside my usual group, I haven't ever played with anyone who played a gnome in a way that I enjoyed so I'm happy to not include them in any games I run. Unless I reskin them as something completely different.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I think it's a throw-back from the annoying Dragonlance gnomes with the silly names and annoying personalities. The players just can't get over it. To be honest, even outside my usual group, I haven't ever played with anyone who played a gnome in a way that I enjoyed so I'm happy to not include them in any games I run. Unless I reskin them as something completely different.

Funny, in the last game I ran, one of the players played a gnome life cleric. He played it pretty strain—there was nothing silly or annying about the character.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It doesn't even require a reliable sighting

Just head on over to Loch Ness and ask Bigfoot how many people ate clamoring to get their hands on a Yeti.

People ate Bigfoot? And now they are going after Yeti. I never knew culinary cryptozoology was a thing. No wonder they keep themselves well hidden!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Sounds like Dragonlance had some really powerful imagery for gnomes to get people hating them so much. Looks like they did their job TOO well, because so many people can't think gnome without immediately associating "tinkerer with gadgets"...

...I think Paizo's take on gnomes is pretty cool, a race with strong ties to fae realms and the constant wariness over the Bleaching. Eberron's gnomes are another cool take that borders on outright scary -- when any random gnome you encounter might start rattling off intimate details about your life, and a whole nation of gnomes who all work for a shadow spy organization whom you never even know are observing you? Not exactly "silly" or outrageous...

Remove ads