D&D 5E Would you be okay with class abilities that explicitly addressed multi-classing?

Gadget

Adventurer
Somebody seems to have hit a nerve.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of a la carte multi classing, but then again, I don't think most classes offer any features beyond level 10 or so that could not offered earlier or condensed down to lower level (beyond the higher level spells for spell casting and generic increase in hitpoints, proficiency, saves, etc.).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Somebody seems to have hit a nerve.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of a la carte multi classing, but then again, I don't think most classes offer any features beyond level 10 or so that could not offered earlier or condensed down to lower level (beyond the higher level spells for spell casting and generic increase in hitpoints, proficiency, saves, etc.).

I agree though it does help tell one story that I believe is applicable and that would be impossible to tell without it. The story of a character that drastically begins a change in path. For example a fighter that finds god and becomes so devoted that he becomes a cleric. That story is impossible to tell without multiclassing IMO.

JPL

Adventurer
Not really the same thing, I guess, but I'd sure like to see some more builds that benefit from a non-standard ability score distribution.

For instance . . . a high Charisma fighter, or a high Wisdom rogue, or a high Strength monk.

All of which would lend itself toward future multiclassing, of course.

GlassJaw

Hero
I certainly wouldn't want class abilities to have an impact on multi-classing, regardless if they were for or against.

I would be ok with feats that allow additional synergy for certain multiclass combinations. For example, there might be a feat that granted additional sneak attack dice for a Ftr/Rog multiclass. I believe there were feats along these lines that were introduced in 3.5.

However, I think the 5E feat system sucks in general so my reservations would have to more to do with that and less because of multiclass-specific feats themselves.

I'm also in the (admittedly unpopular) camp that multiclassing is underpowered in 5E. In almost all cases, you sacrifice too much for the gains, which I feel has led people to find very niche and odd combos to squeeze every once of power out of the system instead of multiclassing because it fits their character. /rant

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Not really the same thing, I guess, but I'd sure like to see some more builds that benefit from a non-standard ability score distribution.

For instance . . . a high Charisma fighter, or a high Wisdom rogue, or a high Strength monk.

All of which would lend itself toward future multiclassing, of course.
Problem is, if thry did, thrn it wouldn't be non-standard any more.

Remove ads