• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Making Combat More Mobile

Shiroiken

Legend
I find 5E to be a good fit. 3E combat was far too stiff, with harsh movement options and "optimal" flanking positions. 4E combat as super fluid, but mostly because of forced movement (people still tried to get back to the "optimal" flanking positions). Also, IME 5E monsters drop far more quickly than either edition, so there is quite a bit of movement to face new enemies.

Some problems that keep 5E from being more fluid are actually perception based, rather than a system problem. Since you only take OA when you leave the enemies reach, you can move around enemies to get into a better position (such as to attack a different enemy). Most creatures don't do that much damage on an OA, so it's sometimes a good option to just take the potential hit (which opens up the move for others, since only 1 Reaction/Round). The withdraw action is usually underused, except by Rogues. Finally, Shove and Grappling can be used to force movement, they just don't also get to do damage (unlike most 4E forced movement attacks).

I am another who thinks the combats are very mobile. With no complex rules for mounts or flying it is the best version for using minis with. And with no 5ft step etc it is very easy to TOTM.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Hi everyone. 3rd Edition had a tendency to have static combats. Full-Attack Actions made it so people didn't want to move. 4th Edition has a lot of powers with movement built in, and I felt there was more movement then; defenders/soldiers locked people in, but they weren't in every fight. 5E doesn't have full-round actions, but my experience has been that fights are more static than 4th but more mobile than 3rd.

Today, I started to question if universal attacks of opportunity were the problem.

What have your experiences been?
Great post! I agree with your sense that AoOs are forcing combat participants into static positions. As DM, I tried having less strategy-minded creatures ignore the potential for the AoO and move anyway, only to frequently see them badly punished by the PCs. On the other hand, if we don't have AoOs then fights aren't sticky: anyone can leave at any time. For me that feels wrong.

Could it be a good solution to give some of your creatures abilities similar to Rogue Cunning Action or the Mobile feat?

n0nym

Explorer
Trust me on this : you don't want fights to become more mobile.

In the group I DM for, there's a Barbarian/Rogue with the Mobile feat and it's utterly ridiculous. He strikes, then retreats 50 feet (or 100 feet if he needs to). Try to picture that seriously, it makes no sense at all.

Last time we played he angered the Deva in Curse of Strahd and they engaged in a fight. But the other players were bored to death because both the Deva and the player were moving too fast for them to catch up with, and the Barbarian was bent on retreating AWAY from the group because he didn't want to give the angel a chance to hit him. Silly fight ensued until the other players finally managed to convince the Barbarian player to come back towards them because they were bored.

JeffB

Legend
I find that removing the boardgame aspect (that is. miniatures) tends to get people to be more descriptive with how their characters are moving and interacting in combat.

And myself, in describing their opposition's moves/interaction

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
Trust me on this : you don't want fights to become more mobile.

In the group I DM for, there's a Barbarian/Rogue with the Mobile feat and it's utterly ridiculous. He strikes, then retreats 50 feet (or 100 feet if he needs to). Try to picture that seriously, it makes no sense at all.
Good advice. I feel like it can make sense, but as your example goes on to show, it can be very annoying.

the other players were bored to death because both the Deva and the player were moving too fast for them to catch up with, and the Barbarian was bent on retreating AWAY from the group because he didn't want to give the angel a chance to hit him.
Ugh. Possibly fun for the Barbarian, but dull for the other players. What I think I want to see is more shifting and changing of targets while retaining coherence. Perhaps then the advice from [MENTION=6775477]Shiroiken[/MENTION] above makes most sense: make more use of moving around enemies without leaving their reach.

SwivSnapshot

First Post
I would question if the issue is the 5e system or group play style.

Our group is chronically unbalanced in favor of squishies, so when I get to be a player, I frequently end up being the tank. When that happens, I specifically build a character to stop our opponents movement (Sentinel and Shield Master feats in particular).

As a DM, however, when want to force the PC's to engage in moving combat, I do "morale checks" for the monsters and have them run from melee, implying the many possible bad things that might happen if the runaway brings back reinforcements.

SmokingSkull

First Post
In our game our fights are set pieces that can be either small or huge. With plenty of rises, pits, ravines and other differences in terrain. Monsters (if they're smart enough) use this terrain to their advantage, but as a group so do we. My character moves around a lot, especially thanks to his RoJ and Mobile, and recently I switched my subclass over from Champion to Juggernaut. The Juggernaut has a neat feature that makes it so whenever I'm the target of an OA I can spend my reaction to either attack with a weapon or shove prone/5 feet away.

At level 18 this feature no longer consumes my reaction, I cannot wait until then for higher level will be a thing for us. More to the point, if you want to make combat more mobile maybe offer subclasses that make it fun to hit and run, make enemies use similar tactics to force the party to face them. Utilize the environment to facilitate more nuanced decisions when it comes to advancing or retreating.

CydKnight

Explorer
The mechanics are there to allow free movement in combat depending on the environment and the make-up of the characters. Dungeon crawls, for example, limit movement especially for large parties. Wilderness or large Underdark settings can promote more movement.

The problem described is most prevalent in melee combat. If you have more archers and long range spell casters you should see more movement in combat as these players will need to maneuver more often to get in position to fire especially if there are things like trees or boulders for cover.

There are abilities to help you avoid opportunity attacks. Polearm wielders don't even have to get within 5' and can disengage from their normal melee attack range at will without recourse. Fighters have certain maneuvers, monks have several abilities, and rogue's have abilities already mentioned.

So instead of altering mechanics, I think I would make sure I am using what is already available within the game to promote more mobile combat if that is what I desired. Talk to the players as a group and individually to discuss what can help them acheive that.

Last edited:

Remove ads