[Dark Sun] - Hamanu's Defiler School

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Hi all. I’ve been playing Dark Sun for a year now and slowly learning all I can about this awesome setting. I’m running the “original” adventures for my group and right now they are finally reaching Urik at the beggining of Arcane Shadows. One of my awesome players designed a custom earth druid for a past campaing and we saw that it totally fits Dark Sun. So we read the last Athas.org article: “Khan’s Urik”. And at the end it says that Hamanu has a “defiler school”. I knew he has a psionic school but I can’t find anything about the defiler’s school. It could be really interesting for the druid to do something with that academy. I could totally made it up, but i prefer to look for official (or not) info about that acadamy. Please someone could point me out where it is the info about that?

Thanks you in advance.

neogod22

Explorer
Hi all. I’ve been playing Dark Sun for a year now and slowly learning all I can about this awesome setting. I’m running the “original” adventures for my group and right now they are finally reaching Urik at the beggining of Arcane Shadows. One of my awesome players designed a custom earth druid for a past campaing and we saw that it totally fits Dark Sun. So we read the last Athas.org article: “Khan’s Urik”. And at the end it says that Hamanu has a “defiler school”. I knew he has a psionic school but I can’t find anything about the defiler’s school. It could be really interesting for the druid to do something with that academy. I could totally made it up, but i prefer to look for official (or not) info about that acadamy. Please someone could point me out where it is the info about that?

Thanks you in advance.

Where did you hear he had a defiler school? That seems uncharacteristic of the warrior king. Not only because he is named the warrior king, but because in general the sorcerer kings in general don't want other wizards destroying what little is left of the fertile land, nor do they want anyone they have to worry about challenging their power one day. I would argue that there probably isn't much information, if any on this.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Where did you hear he had a defiler school? That seems uncharacteristic of the warrior king. Not only because he is named the warrior king, but because in general the sorcerer kings in general don't want other wizards destroying what little is left of the fertile land, nor do they want anyone they have to worry about challenging their power one day. I would argue that there probably isn't much information, if any on this.

I provided a link, you have to click where it says "Khan's Urik". At the end of the article the Destiny's Kingdom is described and it says that there is a defiler school. I know that athas.org is not official, but it is most likely based on some official content.

Also the Sorcerer-Kings use defilers to control preservers and perform some tasks. If I can recall correctly Myrmeleons are defilers that the SK use to infiltrate in the veiled alliance.

neogod22

Explorer
I provided a link, you have to click where it says "Khan's Urik". At the end of the article the Destiny's Kingdom is described and it says that there is a defiler school. I know that athas.org is not official, but it is most likely based on some official content.

Also the Sorcerer-Kings use defilers to control preservers and perform some tasks. If I can recall correctly Myrmeleons are defilers that the SK use to infiltrate in the veiled alliance.
Yeah you're right about using them against the veiled alliance. How many of the supplements do you have. The problem with a lot of campaign settings is that while they give you an overview on things, very few times they get into detail about where things are and how they are run unless it's in an adventure. I guess your best bet would be to check out Dragon Magazine and see if you can find anything on Urik. Maybe a map,of the city.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I have both 2e and 4e campaign setting and many many sourcebooks, but they always mention the "King's Academy" where psinicists train. Nothing about defilers. I'm going to look into the magazines. Those are a resource I have not check yet. Thank you.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Were I Hamanu, I would not set up a "defilers school". I would train my Templars (whatever his title for them is, afb) to use defiling magic. Some select few - most powerful, natural adept, most loyal, whatever the selection criteria are - get special training and access to secret information.

Another possibility would be to train some secret agents in using defiling techniques that gradually poison the plants without you personally having to be there. Send them out to other folks' gardens and make sure they have a poor harvest - therefore they must come to you for enough food, or face a permanent cap on their population / number of warriors.

Zardnaar

Legend
The Sorcerer Kings often have a few pet defiled an academy not so much.

No mention of in in the Urik novels either. Its probably an athos.org thing.

Remove ads