Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel | Special Look

I generally agree with you, but I didn't like this. The Skrulls are invading bad guys in the original Kree-Skrull war. If Marvel wants to do any more K-S, and I assume they do, we have to see more typically evil Skrulls at some point so that Earth can be a neutral 3rd party to all that. Now, we saw both admirable and evil Kree - obviously, CM had to break allegiance with them and find herself. The Kree being presented as complicated, future writers can use them in several ways.
Which makes the big assumption Marvel is planning for the Kree/Skrull War and has plans to use Skrulls again in the future. They could just as easily face the Kree alone, without the Skrulls being involved and the Supreme Intelligence being "the Big Bad" of the next phase.
OR
The next phase is based on Annihilation, and Annihilus is the Big Bad ripping through the Kree Empire.
OR
The Skrulls could still be bad, with a refugee faction going more terrorist, in twist on Secret Invasion.
OR
Marvel could be avoiding doing a huge, big crossover again for a while and focusing on small stories and individual movies, rather than trying to top "Infinity War", which likely isn't doable. Build a new roster of heroes for a potential Avengers 5 based around an entirely different foe in a one-and-done story. Like Doom or Kang or Galactus. (Personally, I'd love a Masters of Evil where the big crossover is all the surviving villains.)

There's so many stories out there and a finite amount of films. There's no reason they'll go right back to the Skulls so quickly.

Nutation

Explorer
Which makes the big assumption Marvel is planning for the Kree/Skrull War and has plans to use Skrulls again in the future...
OR
The Skrulls could still be bad, with a refugee faction going more terrorist, in twist on Secret Invasion.

This would be my preference for continuity reasons. They haven't really written themselves into a hole; it was just one group of (atypical) Skrulls.

Marvel could be avoiding doing a huge, big crossover again for a while and focusing on small stories and individual movies, rather than trying to top "Infinity War", which likely isn't doable. Build a new roster of heroes for a potential Avengers 5 based around an entirely different foe in a one-and-done story. Like Doom or Kang or Galactus. (Personally, I'd love a Masters of Evil where the big crossover is all the surviving villains.)

There's so many stories out there and a finite amount of films. There's no reason they'll go right back to the Skulls so quickly.

Also agree, Skrulls can wait. It's a big universe. Also, I believe Skrulls are part of the FF license that is only now coming back to Marvel, and these movies take years. Maybe in the next Captain Marvel movie (I assume we'll see one), or maybe the studio will bravely try another FF movie.

This would be my preference for continuity reasons. They haven't really written themselves into a hole; it was just one group of (atypical) Skrulls.
After Civil War, I would imagine Marvel wants to take a longer break before returning to hero vs hero stories.

Also agree, Skrulls can wait. It's a big universe. Also, I believe Skrulls are part of the FF license that is only now coming back to Marvel, and these movies take years. Maybe in the next Captain Marvel movie (I assume we'll see one), or maybe the studio will bravely try another FF movie.
I imagine the next Captain Marvel movie will be taking on the Supreme Intelligence and derailing the Kree empire. That seems like the logical place for that sequel to go.
But we still have a long time before that, and still have to see Doctor Strange 2 and Black Panther 2. And possibly an Eternals movie and Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases