D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

Consider that a wizard's familiar can grant him advantage on GFB, but not on more than one weapon attacks. Familiar disproportionately benefit cantrips over Extra Attack/dual wielding.

It is a matter of some long standing debate whether a familiar, which is unable to take the attack action, but can deliver touch spells can in fact provide advantage on attack rolls. You are likely to get different arbitration from different DM's.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
It is a matter of some long standing debate whether a familiar, which is unable to take the attack action, but can deliver touch spells can in fact provide advantage on attack rolls. You are likely to get different arbitration from different DM's.

Officially they can give advantage on attack rolls. They can use the Help action with no limitation. Any other ruling would be a house rule. This has been confirmed by the designers via The Sage/Twitter. They also count as an enemy of the target for Sneak Attack as well making that spell a very good option for Arcane Tricksters.

Officially they can give advantage on attack rolls. They can use the Help action with no limitation. Any other ruling would be a house rule. This has been confirmed by the designers via The Sage/Twitter. They also count as an ally for Sneak Attack as well making that spell a very good option for Arcane Tricksters.

Any chance you still have a link to the relevant tweet? That would be very useful for a lot of players I expect. I would post a link under the Find Familiar spell in my guide for easy-access.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Any chance you still have a link to the relevant tweet? That would be very useful for a lot of players I expect. I would post a link under the Find Familiar spell in my guide for easy-access.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/12/02/two-familiar-questions/

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/25/can-a-familiar-use-help-to-grant-advantage-at-range/

Confirmed multiple times by both Mearls and Crawford. I think you were probably doing what I've done multiple times: assumed a Pathfinder/3E rule like needing to actually be able to threaten a creature to Help or the like. In this edition, there is no threaten. Ally or enemy regardless of if they threaten or can actually attack the enemy.

The familiar has 1 hp. Not a very good use to have the familiar linger in melee for too long.
[MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] Longbow has a range of 150. So a longbow has its uses in ope areas. Also bladesong is only 2 per short rest. Its entirely possible that you don't want to use it all the time.

Really depends on playstyle and how common short rests are.
The sling only has a range of 30ft. So when you could use a sling you usually have better things to do.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/12/02/two-familiar-questions/

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/25/can-a-familiar-use-help-to-grant-advantage-at-range/

Confirmed multiple times by both Mearls and Crawford. I think you were probably doing what I've done multiple times: assumed a Pathfinder/3E rule like needing to actually be able to threaten a creature to Help or the like. In this edition, there is no threaten. Ally or enemy regardless of if they threaten or can actually attack the enemy.

Thank you! I've updated my FF description with the links.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
YES, there are corner cases where longbow and no bladesong is better than all of the other options from a full caster who can have bladesong and use spells, melee, or other ranged all of which are useful regardless if you have bladesong active or not and won't prematurely end your bladesong if you decide you want to use it.

That's the third time I've posted that. You haven't addressed it. If you are going to reply, please talk to it. Don't point out a corner case, that doesn't further your argument because that's not a point we're arguing over. We're in agreement on that.

Last edited:

Have to look it up. Can you flyby when using the help action? And still it is not completely without danger. The owl is only 15 ft away with 1 hp and low AC.

Remove ads