D&D 5E Now that "damage on a miss" is most likely out of the picture, are you happy?

Are you happy for "damage on a miss" being removed?

• Yes.

Votes: 75 42.1%
  • No.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • Couldn't give a toss.

Votes: 56 31.5%

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
I for one am glad.

Wizard Fireballs and Lightning Bolts always doing damage even when you crit saves has always been ridiculous and immersion breaking, so I'm glad that's finally being removed.

If you miss on a Lightning Bolt you should deal no damage.

You shouldn't be able to miss on a fireball unless someone is very close to some physical cover.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Actually, the concepts of "hit" and "miss" were defined until 4th edition came along. It was 4th edition that introduced the concept of doing damage on a miss outside of explosions and magic. The meaning of those two words began to blur.
Yeah, they were defined, but they weren't defined in a manner that you imply"

3.5 Player's Handbook said:
hit: Make a successful attack roll.

attack roll: A roll to determine whether an attack hits. To make an attack roll, roll 1d20 and add the appropriate modifiers for the attack type, as follows: melee attack roll = 1d20 + base attack bonus + Strength modifier + size modifier; ranged attack roll = 1d20 + base attack bonus + Dexterity modifier + size modifier + range penalty. In either case, the attack hits if the result is at least as high as the target’s Armor Class.

BTW, DoaM has not been removed from the game... Just for the sake of honesty.

EnglishLanguage

First Post
If you miss on a Lightning Bolt you should deal no damage.

You shouldn't be able to miss on a fireball unless someone is very close to some physical cover.

Unless you have Evasion of course. Then you take zero damage, even if your standing in the epicenter of the blast on a featureless plane without budging an inch. Meanwhile, the Fighter standing with only his toes in the fireball and hiding 90% of his body behind a tower shield can never take less than half damage even on a nat 20.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I disagree.

You can still have hit points be what ever you want. Damage on a miss never made sense to start with. Missing something but killing it anyway makes people just shake their heads, swallow it and try not to wrap their brains around it.
Well of course you disagree, since you're more of a traditional minded person (edit: gaming terms only! broader speculation not intended!). Of course I can still pretend hit points are whatever I like, but this is another example of how the designers are agreeing with hit points as meat. The game concept of hit points as meat means that it makes no sense to miss and still cause damage.

And it makes perfect sense if you believe that concepts like "hit" and "miss" are general ideas rather than being set in stone.

I can believe whatever I want about hit points, but if the designers disagree, the rules have fewer options: the design space shrinks if hit points are meat. I believe that's bad.

Don't want attacks to cause damage on a miss? Don't play a character that has those powers. Pretty simple, and inclusive.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Well of course you disagree, since you're more of a traditional minded person (edit: gaming terms only! broader speculation not intended!). Of course I can still pretend hit points are whatever I like, but this is another example of how the designers are agreeing with hit points as meat. The game concept of hit points as meat means that it makes no sense to miss and still cause damage.

And it makes perfect sense if you believe that concepts like "hit" and "miss" are general ideas rather than being set in stone.

I can believe whatever I want about hit points, but if the designers disagree, the rules have fewer options: the design space shrinks if hit points are meat. I believe that's bad.

Don't want attacks to cause damage on a miss? Don't play a character that has those powers. Pretty simple, and inclusive.

His views aren't even traditional.

Remove ads