D&D 5E Girls, Guts and Glory. A new snack sized D&D web series.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Being from England, these British accents grate tremendously. Hope they chill out. Actors/actresses should get the accent at least near! It's kind of their job.

ATM it's too uncomfortable. Hope the North American audiences enjoy though. Every different stream adds something, I'm sure.

Ha I'm British (though lived in the US for too many years to count...) and I found them hilarious. If they were trying to pass it off as a serious effort that would be another matter. It's like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins so earnest and awful it's hilarious :)

Of course Brits now think I'm american when I go home... (and if I try to do an American accent over here I sound like John Wayne). I've ended up with some mid-atlantic thing that most Americans guess is Australian!?

Accents - what's up with that? :)

Arial Black

Adventurer
Being from England, these British accents grate tremendously. Hope they chill out. Actors/actresses should get the accent at least near! It's kind of their job.

ATM it's too uncomfortable. Hope the North American audiences enjoy though. Every different stream adds something, I'm sure.

Being British myself I've known many American's attempt at a 'British' accent (as if it was a single accent!) and while some are surprisingly good, most fail so badly that it takes a while to realise they are even trying to imitate a British accent!

The dwarf's accent was deeply annoying, and it took a while to realise that the actress was going for 'British'.

However, it is fair to say that most affected accents at most tables in our community are....rubbish! Although some of us try to act in character, most of us are just not that good at acting, and most of us don't care that we aren't any good! The corniness is played for laughs.

If the role-playing police ever start getting heavy with our community, we are in deep, deep trouble! :D

So I don't feel that we should single out these women for bad accents as a criticism for the way they play. It sets them well inside our community's 'acting' paradigm. As actresses themselves I feel that their tongues are firmly in their cheeks regarding chewing the imaginary scenery.

Arial Black

Adventurer
Ha I'm British (though lived in the US for too many years to count...) and I found them hilarious. If they were trying to pass it off as a serious effort that would be another matter. It's like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins so earnest and awful it's hilarious :)

Of course Brits now think I'm american when I go home... (and if I try to do an American accent over here I sound like John Wayne). I've ended up with some mid-atlantic thing that most Americans guess is Australian!?

Accents - what's up with that? :)

The first time I went to the US I was in my early '30s, and though I'm from Yorkshire my father advised me to 'talk posh', partly so I have a chance of being understood(!) but mainly because "they love it!".

They still thought I was Australian though.:hmm:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
The first time I went to the US I was in my early '30s, and though I'm from Yorkshire my father advised me to 'talk posh', partly so I have a chance of being understood(!) but mainly because "they love it!".

They still thought I was Australian though.:hmm:

Despite my father being a proud Yorkshireman ( a Calvert) I had my most humiliating experience in York at a CAMRA pub. I foolishly asked for some info on the various exotic brews on offer. The publican then responded "what's the point? It'll be wasted on you!" awful. Needless to say we didn't go back!

Arial Black

Adventurer
Despite my father being a proud Yorkshireman ( a Calvert) I had my most humiliating experience in York at a CAMRA pub. I foolishly asked for some info on the various exotic brews on offer. The publican then responded "what's the point? It'll be wasted on you!" awful. Needless to say we didn't go back!

Much as I hate to admit it, American standards of customer service tend to exceed ours by a country mile!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Much as I hate to admit it, American standards of customer service tend to exceed ours by a country mile!

It's reliably decent here for sure. The U.K. is all over the shop. Sometimes it feels like you're stepping back into the 70s!

Lanliss

Explorer
How in the world is this not more popular?

Exposure. Critical Roll blew up because it was connected to Geek and Sundry, and had a full cast of well known voice actors. This has neither of those bonuses, so it has a disadvantage trying to reach the same level. Someone on twitter might think about pointing this out to Mercer and Gang, since they are quite fond of boosting things they think are cool, especially when it gets less attention than they feel it deserves.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It's hard to imagine commentary on the appearance ("good-looking" or otherwise...) of the players be the first thing offered if the gamers were men.

Oh come on. Such comments have been made about Matt Mercer and some of the Critical Role people. Face it, as live TTRP becomes an even bigger phenomenon, with actual, real money involved, you are going to get the actors and models making a go at it.

I will say, however, that a man can be rather homely and do well with live roleplay videos if he's got the charisma. Harder for women. It does seem that more of the popular female players in the popular live TTRP video casts are above average in looks.

When I do consume live RPG feeds, I generally prefer pod casts. Something to listen to when mowing the lawn, cleaning the garage, etc.

For video, I now stick to shorter, heavily produced episodic shows like Harmon Quest and, now, Girls Guts and Glory (G3). All politics and social implications aside, G3 is damn funny and fun to watch.

Remove ads